Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking at the Amex

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I cannot believe in this day and age you are not allowed outside at half time for a fag and then gain re-entrance. Happens in the theatre for example, and my annual Friday test match at the Oval (19th August this year, c'mon England!!) you can just nip down for a fag away from the seats in a designated area INSIDE THE GROUND

But then again, I've meant to have given up.......!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Smoking doesn't particularly bother me, but is it REALLY that hard to go 2 hours without a tab ?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
learn to control yourself. If you crave a fag, have a pie. :moo:

Nobody I know smokes anymore. I am the only one left. If the whole family goes out for a meal I don't smoke. I forget about it until we all finally leave.

Same for the football, if the club wont allow me to smoke I will just accept it. I just wish I could apply the same when I don't have any restrictions.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Totally agree with this, I have posted before that at Derby County's Pride Park, they let you out at half time for a smoke, there are not hundreds of people out there tbh and it took one steward to moniter it, seems easy enough!

As for your other comment about letting kids into Dicks Bar, i grew up in a family that had fairly heavy influences with both tobacco and alcohol, one made my life hell at times and it wasn't the cigarettes, but people choose to ignore the dangers of drink. When the day comes that some mob does decide to have a bit of aggro at the Amex, and it will come, it wont be because they had a fag or 10 before the game.

You make a very interesting point here, given my age I grew up in a family of smokers and drinkers. Coming from Glasgow, back then it was the norm, certainly a much different culture up there now. As some will know the drinking side has caught up with me and kicked me in the arse, but smoking has never ever appealed to me in any way. In fact I've never ever held an unlit cigarette. That's my choice, but I also feel people should have the freedom to smoke, not in enclosed areas at the stadium, however I wholeheartedly believe that if pubs can make separate rooms available then smoking areas should be made available and at the stadium too if possible. This law of smoking bans, has it ever been contested in the Court of Human Rights ?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Smoking doesn't particularly bother me, but is it REALLY that hard to go 2 hours without a tab ?
Beer and fags are traditional so thats not the point,also its a smokers right and the club should make an effort to allow this as 25% of the population smoke.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
even when we were allowed to smoke at withdean, i never done it in my seat in respect of people sitting near me.
i did have one at half time though down by the bogs, away from most peeps. just cant see why there cant be a smoking area for half time, somewhere where peeps who dont like smoking are not affected

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I cannot believe in this day and age you are not allowed outside at half time for a fag and then gain re-entrance. Happens in the theatre for example, and my annual Friday test match at the Oval (19th August this year, c'mon England!!) you can just nip down for a fag away from the seats in a designated area INSIDE THE GROUND

But then again, I've meant to have given up.......!

I spoke to Martin Perry about this when I went to the presentation a few months back. His response was that The Amex would be non smoking the same as Withdean. I told him about other clubs who let you out at half time, but he said that is not an option at the Amex.

I then asked if he hopes fans will come early, stay late etc and enjoy the food & drink available, which he obviously replied yes. I said then count me out of that, I will turn up late and leave ASAP. Simple fact is I am a smoking addict, and unless you do or have smoked, then you probably don't realise that it is difficult to last a couple of hours, especially if you have poked a pie and a couple of pints down your neck.

Shame that they can't revisit this, other clubs let you out at half time, and this prevents people smoking in the ground where they shouldn't. People smoked at half time at Withdean, but at least that was in the open air. Also it only takes a few stewards and a bit of tape or similar to police a half time quick one. I'm sure all the anti's have a different view, but there is a proven way of doing this, it just takes a bit working out for the benefit of all, but Mr Perry was not at all receptive. In fact he did say "nobody smoked at Withdean" which is so far from the truth.

Anyway, it is a difficult one, but I'm not expecting any change of heart from the club

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I spoke to Martin Perry about this when I went to the presentation a few months back. His response was that The Amex would be non smoking the same as Withdean. I told him about other clubs who let you out at half time, but he said that is not an option at the Amex.

I then asked if he hopes fans will come early, stay late etc and enjoy the food & drink available, which he obviously replied yes. I said then count me out of that, I will turn up late and leave ASAP. Simple fact is I am a smoking addict, and unless you do or have smoked, then you probably don't realise that it is difficult to last a couple of hours, especially if you have poked a pie and a couple of pints down your neck.

Shame that they can't revisit this, other clubs let you out at half time, and this prevents people smoking in the ground where they shouldn't. People smoked at half time at Withdean, but at least that was in the open air. Also it only takes a few stewards and a bit of tape or similar to police a half time quick one. I'm sure all the anti's have a different view, but there is a proven way of doing this, it just takes a bit working out for the benefit of all, but Mr Perry was not at all receptive. In fact he did say "nobody smoked at Withdean" which is so far from the truth.

Anyway, it is a difficult one, but I'm not expecting any change of heart from the club
Can't believe the club are so anti smoking especially when dick tight is a chain smoker,such an easy thing to do aswell:(

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
even when we were allowed to smoke at withdean, i never done it in my seat in respect of people sitting near me.
i did have one at half time though down by the bogs, away from most peeps. just cant see why there cant be a smoking area for half time, somewhere where peeps who dont like smoking are not affected

But smoking wasn't allowed at Withdean either !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No good me getting involved in this discussion because I believe that smoking should be banned in all public areas end of. Should only be permitted in the confines of your own home/car. They always say a reformed smoker is the worst.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
No good me getting involved in this discussion because I believe that smoking should be banned in all public areas end of. Should only be permitted in the confines of your own home/car. They always say a reformed smoker is the worst.

Glad you chose to stay out of it!

I know what you mean however... though I am currently in a fresh giving-up drive (not confident to say I'm a non-smoker again yet...) when I had given up for a couple of months I was dreadful, very hypocritical and contemptuous of smoke and smokers. Not that I blamed them, but I began to look down on it. It's probably a self-preservation thing. After a couple of pints you forget to think like that... That's how it started again. Was fine just having a fag or two on the weekend and having no desire to have any more. Then, one sunday morning, I thought to myself... mmm you know what's nice with a coffee on a sunny morn? ...and that was that.

Thanks for reading, lets call it group therapy and I'll see if I can't stay off for good this time! Wibble.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Noticed in Portugal and driving through Spain that people were smoking in the bars there the good things was it left plenty of room outside for non smokers to sit unlike this country where every chair outside a pub or coffee shop is taken by a smoker.

I can never understand this cant give up smoking attitude. I was told at 2.30pm on 11th May 1995 by a surgeon that I should stop smoking and from 20 half corona cigars or larger like Bolivar No 1, a day I just stopped. Mind you he did say if I didn't not to book a holiday as I would lose the deposit so it was a bit of an incentive.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

This would be me-followed by 2 fags in quick succession upon the final whistle-

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Grapes of Wrath said:

This would be me-followed by 2 fags in quick succession upon the final whistle-

What are you both moaning about?

After Spurs game, I left WSU, had a cigarette, then went in North Stand bar for beer.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What are you both moaning about?

After Spurs game, I left WSU, had a cigarette, then went in North Stand bar for beer.

then you bent a rule-how where and when did you do it..details details.....2nd thoughts well done and keep it to yourself(my fellow smoker)...grapes and i will have to fined a way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here