Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smartcard only tills tonight

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
Sorry if fixtures, from OS:

Albion supporters are advised that half of the tills on each kiosk will only be accepting Seagulls e-cash at the Amex tonight, so fans are encouraged to top-up their Smartcard before arriving.

The e-cash system is proven to reduce transaction time and with the added benefit of 10 per cent cash back from every purchase using the Smartcard, it's the ideal method of payment at the Amex.

For me this is great and should have been happening since the start, what do you guys think of it? :amex:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Good idea.

I would still try out the 'post office/cashier number three' type queue as well, as I always seem to get in the queue behind the person who (despite having ages to think about it) can't make up their mind.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good idea, looking forward to seeing how it goes. Just hope they are clearly labelled as I'm not sure how many people check the website.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Well there has been one in place in the North stand for the last few weeks, but everyone still used cash and the staff spoke about this with each customer, so it ended up taking longer to purchase than normal!

rockypaul

May 23, 2011
Sorry if fixtures, from OS:

Albion supporters are advised that half of the tills on each kiosk will only be accepting Seagulls e-cash at the Amex tonight, so fans are encouraged to top-up their Smartcard before arriving.

The e-cash system is proven to reduce transaction time and with the added benefit of 10 per cent cash back from every purchase using the Smartcard, it's the ideal method of payment at the Amex.

For me this is great and should have been happening since the start, what do you guys think of it? :amex:

Used it all season in the East stand, works great...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Good idea.

I would still try out the 'post office/cashier number three' type queue as well, as I always seem to get in the queue behind the person who (despite having ages to think about it) can't make up their mind.

Trouble with that is the queue won't form the snake required of it's own accord. You'd need the barriers / rope in place to allow this, and that would be pretty inconvenient most of the time. How long would they be, and what happens when the queue reaches the end of them?

We can queue to the back of the concourse on the WSU sometimes, but you couldn't have the ropes in place to the back.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Trouble with that is the queue won't form the snake required of it's own accord. You'd need the barriers / rope in place to allow this, and that would be pretty inconvenient most of the time. How long would they be, and what happens when the queue reaches the end of them?

We can queue to the back of the concourse on the WSU sometimes, but you couldn't have the ropes in place to the back.

In areas with limited space - such as Post Offices, Airport (and WSU) they would actually SAVE space.

Have someone atthe front of the queue directing customers to the next cashier would help (They do this in the club shop)

Take the barriers down after H/T, to avoid any issues post match.

Got to be worth a try?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Take the barriers down after H/T, to avoid any issues post match.

Got to be worth a try?

Agreed. The middle kiosk of the WSU would have plenty of space, to at least give it a go.

I do fear the problem is still going to be that the "snake" of ropes would have to fill the whole area to the back of the concourse to be adequate at the very busiest time, and even if that's removed when the 2nd half gets underway, it will still have to be there from the start of the day, and that would make access prior to kick-off awkward with the snake in place.

What they could try is having a steward or two extending the snake as necessary, when the queue builds. Not sure how easy that would be though.

Mar 10, 2006
Can't see the rope thing happening under health and safety. if something happened up there and people needed to get out quick it would be chaos with people falling over them etc

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As long as there are signs yes - this could slow everything right down though.

It will need to be stewarded too. People do not read signs, working with the (drunken) public has taught me this. Unless someone goes up and down the queue repeatedly telling people it is smartcard only, it will be ignored. The staff at the kiosk also have to be strong enough and say no to cash buyers when they get to the front, this will annoy people in the short term, but the whole system will break down if they do not stick to this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think it over looks the problems of staff who have trouble tapping in "Harveys" and "pie" from a selection of about 8 different items. in my experience that has been the main delay. and of course what you've ordered not being available. and the fetching of the items. and the person ordering ebing understood by the staff (a problem both ways on occassions im sure). really, the 5 seconds to take cash and give change is not the flaw in the system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here