Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart cards and the 10% cashback

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
A thousand humble apologies if this has come up before, but does anyone know if the 10% comes off at the point of sale a la the BITE card you use at stations, or is it refunded to your card at certain intervals, eg. monthly.

Cheers x

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
going purely from memory I think its for every £100 spent, I might be totally wrong though. If I am right then I guess you will get a £10 credit each time you pass the £100 mark.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wrong, its just 10% cash back, so I assume you buy your pie and pint, for say £10, after you have paid your £10 on your card, another £1 appears as credit. Not sure how long it takes for the cash back transaction to happen though, as this has not been mentioned yet.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Online, at certain tills at the stadium, by phone

When it's up and running, of course.

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
Just thinking; If this system was ever to temporarily fail it would be carnage......can't really see people taking both money and card to the ground? Or is it just me!?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just thinking; If this system was ever to temporarily fail it would be carnage......can't really see people taking both money and card to the ground? Or is it just me!?

Given that the cards are also used for admission to the stadium, I think we'd have more to worry about than not being able to get a pint if the system was to fail.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
are the tills linked to the turnstiles then!?

No, I think the smartcards just identify you, they don't have anything stored on them as such. When you put your card against they turnstile, it connects to the system to check if you have a "ticket" for that match. When you put it against the reader at the refreshments bar, it takes money from your account on the same computer system.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Probably just you. Do you have a credit card ? If so does that mean you don't carry cash.

Can't for one minute believe that you would go to a match and leave all your cash at home just because you have a smartcard !

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
Probably just you. Do you have a credit card ? If so does that mean you don't carry cash.

Can't for one minute believe that you would go to a match and leave all your cash at home just because you have a smartcard !

Must be just me.....always pay on card for thngs. Sorry!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Given that the cards are also used for admission to the stadium, I think we'd have more to worry about than not being able to get a pint if the system was to fail.

It won't be fun for sure. But just holding the smart card in your possession should ensure manual admittance if the system were to suffer a catastrophic failure. It's extremely unlikely that anybody not holding a valid card would turn up in anticipation of free entry upon the computers throwing a wobbly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here