Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Small tweaks to VAR and refereeing of the rules for 2024-5...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

- The video assistant referee system will have a higher bar for intervening than before.
The "referee’s call" means that the VAR should only intervene if they can "see without any doubt the on-pitch official has made a clear mistake".
Otherwise the initial decision will stand. That means fewer stoppages for marginal decisions to be repeatedly rewatched.
"Let’s have the confidence to not be too forensic on our analysis," is what refereeing boss Howard Webb has said.

- The Premier League Match Centre account on social media platform X will post "near-live" explanations of VAR decisions.
It plans to show more replays and explain decisions on the big screens in stadiums, too.

- We will see a significant drop in stoppage time this season - because of a change in timing goal celebrations.
Until now time was added on for every second between the ball hitting the net and the kick-off being taken.
Now the clock will only be started after 30 seconds. So a game with six goals would have three minutes less of stoppage time.

- Away from VAR, attacking players blocking or obstructing opposition players at a set-piece will be penalised more strictly.
Ben White was trending on social media with the suggestion the Arsenal defender's actions from corners will result in more opposition free-kicks.

- The handball law will be relaxed a tad. Players have been told by the Premier League they do not have to move with their arms rigidly by their sides or behind their backs.
The position of their arm or hand will be judged in relation to the movement of their body.
"We get a sense that we give too many handballs for actions that are quite normal and justifiable," said Webb.
"The guidance to officials this season is less is more. You will see fewer harsh handball penalties."
Meanwhile, a non-deliberate handball that leads to a penalty will no longer be an automatic booking offence.

- During penalties the ball must be on or hanging over the centre of the penalty spot, rather than at any point on the spot.
Encroachment by players into the box when the penalty is taken will only be penalised if it has an impact.
That means if an opposition player has an impact on the kicker or prevents a goal or chance from a rebound.
If it is a penalty taker's team-mate, the encroachment is relevant if they impact or distract the goalkeeper, scores or creates a chance.

- Ball boys and girls will be allowed to give a ball to a goalkeeper to take a restart, instead of the keeper having to pick it up off a cone. The multiball system - picking the ball off a cone - will remain for outfield players.

- Five substitutes can warm up at the same time on the touchline, up from three.

They all seem fair enough and simple to apply, except the 'blocking or obstructing' one, which will probably die a death after a couple of games like many previous changes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
- The handball law will be relaxed a tad. Players have been told by the Premier League they do not have to move with their arms rigidly by their sides or behind their backs.
The position of their arm or hand will be judged in relation to the movement of their body.
"We get a sense that we give too many handballs for actions that are quite normal and justifiable," said Webb.
"The guidance to officials this season is less is more. You will see fewer harsh handball penalties."
Meanwhile, a non-deliberate handball that leads to a penalty will no longer be an automatic booking offence.

- During penalties the ball must be on or hanging over the centre of the penalty spot, rather than at any point on the spot.
Encroachment by players into the box when the penalty is taken will only be penalised if it has an impact.
That means if an opposition player has an impact on the kicker or prevents a goal or chance from a rebound.
If it is a penalty taker's team-mate, the encroachment is relevant if they impact or distract the goalkeeper, scores or creates a chance.

Given how they're relaxing the handball rules, it sounds like there won't be any non-deliberate handballs. If you're moving normally, it won't be given, so it's not deliberate :shrug:

- Encroachment by players into the box when the penalty is taken will only be penalised if it has an impact.

Right, so defenders should always encroach. If the ball misses the target, or is saved and pushed away, then the defender isn't penalised. The only time a defender is penalised is if the keeper saves and the opponents are about to stick the ball in the net, so the defender hoofs the ball away and the kick is retaken.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Given how they're relaxing the handball rules, it sounds like there won't be any non-deliberate handballs. If you're moving normally, it won't be given, so it's not deliberate :shrug:
There are a lot of non natural movements of arms. Sliding with arms behind you back is natural, them being above your head is not, yet I see a lot of that when players go in for blocks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are a lot of non natural movements of arms. Sliding with arms behind you back is natural, them being above your head is not, yet I see a lot of that when players go in for blocks.

And if the ball is stopped by a non-natural arm position, why doesn't that count as deliberate?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do like the 'umpire's call' one. One of my gripes with VAR is that subjective on-field decisions are often overruled by subjective off-field decisions for no reason other than they can. Any chance this will be applied to offsides? A quick glance at the monitor, yeah, he's not blatantly offside, let the decision stand.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
VAR sounds like they're at least listening to the concerns, we wait to see if there really is a reduction in silly refererals. nothing about offside explicitly though, will that still be forensically checked for boot thread alignment?

handball sounds like return to recognising difference between ball-to-hand and hand-to-ball.

encroachment... why the fudge allow it? it has to be one of the simpliest rules to apply, now they introduce some arbitrary subjective view. :facepalm:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They all seem fair enough and simple to apply, except the 'blocking or obstructing' one, which will probably die a death after a couple of games like many previous changes.
I agree.

But I also agree about the encroachment one - why the need to change it, I wasn't aware of it being raised as a concern or causing difficulties. And this bit: If it is a penalty taker's team-mate, the encroachment is relevant if they impact or distract the goalkeeper, scores or creates a chance is simply going to add subjectivity into something that at the moment is purely objective. How do you judge whether a striker running into the box to one side of the penalty-taker 'distracts' the keeper?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do like the 'umpire's call' one. One of my gripes with VAR is that subjective on-field decisions are often overruled by subjective off-field decisions for no reason other than they can. Any chance this will be applied to offsides? A quick glance at the monitor, yeah, he's not blatantly offside, let the decision stand.
Aren’t they automating offsides like they did at the Euros?

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Didn't the clubs vote against automated offsides?
Are offsides to be automated this year?
Aren’t they automating offsides like they did at the Euros?

Yes, semi-automated offside technology WILL be introduced - but not until the autumn (after one of the International breaks according to PL website). I did read that they would be using the technology before then to test it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do like the 'umpire's call' one. One of my gripes with VAR is that subjective on-field decisions are often overruled by subjective off-field decisions for no reason other than they can
I would love to fully agree with your sentiment, as in theory you're right - but the unfortunate reality is just a free pass for them to indulge in the usual big club bias.

"Look at this lads. Jarrod has given no penalty, but it looks like Mitoma's foot is touched there. Can't say for sure that's sent him down though, so we'll ignore it"

"Look at this lads. Jarrod has given no penalty, but it looks like Salah's foot is touched there. Better send him straight over to the screen to take a look"

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would love to fully agree with your sentiment, as in theory you're right - but the unfortunate reality is just a free pass for them to indulge in the usual big club bias.

"Look at this lads. Jarrod has given no penalty, but it looks like Mitoma's foot is touched there. Can't say for sure that's sent him down though, so we'll ignore it"

"Look at this lads. Jarrod has given no penalty, but it looks like Salah's foot is touched there. Better send him straight over to the screen to take a look"
Yes, I'd like to think it's a positive step towards solving the endless debates as to why VAR interfered in a penalty decision in Game A but not in Game B; but you're probably right that Big Six bias will still play a part - unconsciously or otherwise. Let's get those chips firmly cemented on our shoulders before the season starts! :)

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I agree.

But I also agree about the encroachment one - why the need to change it, I wasn't aware of it being raised as a concern or causing difficulties. And this bit: If it is a penalty taker's team-mate, the encroachment is relevant if they impact or distract the goalkeeper, scores or creates a chance is simply going to add subjectivity into something that at the moment is purely objective. How do you judge whether a striker running into the box to one side of the penalty-taker 'distracts' the keeper?
Agree - the authorities seem to be forever wanting to complicate matters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here