Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small thread to spare a thought for Wrexham

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
They were stuffed again .... at home 5-1 by Tranmere

And with no buyer for the club they look doomed all ends up

I won't make any more noise about this as we need time to celebrate our success ... but the battle goes on

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i dont understand how before the points deduction they were looking pretty good on the field but now its all gone downhill playing-wise.

im not having a pop just wondering why are they playing so bad? are they feeling sorry for themselves(the players)?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a real shame. It makes you feel helpless. Groundhog Day springs to mind. And if we don't get a yes next month it could be us too.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
To answer Mejona .... think back to how it was for us 1996-1998 .... with everything going wrong off the pitch we were also playing the crappest football in our history .... to be honest we deserved the Conference at the time and we know how close it was ....

I am sure that it boils down to morale - it must effect the players and once the morale goes the confidence is close behind

When I saw them at Scunthorpe in the cup before Xmas (the day the 10 points was deducted) they played really well until they went behind, and after that there was only going to be one winner ... the spark went out of the players and it seemed they were chasing shadows even though the team they were playing were League 2 stuff

I must admit I REALLY do fear that Wrexham could be the first club since Aldershot to fold .... unless miracles do happen ... anyway enough for now ...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Mate, gutted about Wrexham, especially when you hear about Leeds. One rule for the rich etc.
You don't wish for a points deduction against anyone but....

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Juan Albion said:
I think Maidstone were after Aldershot, weren't they? Mind you they weren't really a proper league club, were they?

I take what you say and you are right.

What I meant was that Aldershot - like Wrexham - were a well established league club and actually lost their place in the league and went out of existence .... which is what now threatens Wrexham .... I now find it harder having made friends with so many of their fans, who all love (and some would die for) their club as much as we love the Albion

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:nono: i REALLY hope they can pull themselves out the shit , but its not looking good ......

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
On the Left Wing said:
They were stuffed again .... at home 5-1 by Tranmere

And with no buyer for the club they look doomed all ends up

I won't make any more noise about this as we need time to celebrate our success ... but the battle goes on

So this Surrey man turned out to be another Purdew? I.E. too good to be true. That and them taking the place of Franchise in the bottom four takes a little of the shine off a brilliant day.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It does look pretty bleak for Wrecsam and it is almost inevitable that the Racecourse is going to snatched away from under them. What it needs is for Wrecsam council to either get their fingers out and build a new stadium for the community (sound familiar) OR refuse planning permission for anything other than a stadium on the current site (as B&H Tory council should have done with us). That would immediately devalue the site in the eyes of every property developer with their eyes on the land.

Sadly, if the unspeakable happens the temporary alternative of a groundshare is out of the question because their only real option would be Chester and we all know how the 2 clubs like each other.

Bit of a mess.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit in the News Of The World this morning (page 85) saying Darren Ferguson, son of Alex, is 'close to striking a £5 million deal for the club'. Anybody close to all things Wrexham able to confirm if this would be good or bad news?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Tom Hark said:
Bit in the News Of The World this morning (page 85) saying Darren Ferguson, son of Alex, is 'close to striking a £5 million deal for the club'. Anybody close to all things Wrexham able to confirm if this would be good or bad news?

Is that not the Darren Ferguson aka football agent? The one that Fergie had to defend to the club board for alleged dodgy deals?

If so I would be a little worried, then he cannot be any worse then Hamilton.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Wardywonderland said:
Is that not the Darren Ferguson aka football agent? The one that Fergie had to defend to the club board for alleged dodgy deals?

If so I would be a little worried, then he cannot be any worse then Hamilton.

That's JASON Ferguson.

Darren Ferguson plays for Wrexham.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It annoys me that you need qualifications to coach but anyone can be a director of a football club.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
n1 gull said:
Mate, gutted about Wrexham, especially when you hear about Leeds. One rule for the rich etc. You don't wish for a points deduction against anyone but....

I'm not really sure I understand this attitude. The rules are exactly the same for Leeds as they are for Wrexham - if Leeds go into administration they will also be docked 10 points. Simple as that.

Of course the situations at the two clubs are very different. And you'd expect them to be. Leeds are a massive club. Wrexham are not. Example: the crowd of 29,548 at yesterday's Leeds v Cardiff game at Elland Road was bigger than Wrexham's best ever league crowd!

You simply can't compare the two clubs on level terms, but at the end of the day their situations amount to the same thing. They have both been controlled by idiots, they have both run up debts they can't afford, and they will both suffer the same league penalties for going into administration. And, in both cases, its the fans of the respective clubs who are suffering the most.

The Laughing Bluebird said:
You simply can't compare the two clubs on level terms, but at the end of the day their situations amount to the same thing. They have both been controlled by idiots, they have both run up debts they can't afford, and they will both suffer the same league penalties for going into administration. And, in both cases, its the fans of the respective clubs who are suffering the most.
I don't read the Wrexham situation as "amounting to the same thing" as Leeds.

Wrexham were taken over by a shyster who wanted their ground for redevelopment and his own personal profit. Building up debts (eg by not paying the Inland Revenue) actually helped him. If the Club went out of business, he wasn't bothered.

Leeds, in contrast, started their overspending with football objectives - like Europe - in mind.

Administration at Wrexham actually helped to SAVE the Club in the short term, by forcing Hamilton out of the direct management of the Club. Whether this can be turned into a long-term rescue plan is still not certain.

Administration at Leeds could sink them if it turns out that the financial circumstances make the Club unrescuable.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I agree totally with Lord B ... as for Bwian's point ... Wrexham Borough Council have pledged £1million to help buy the Racecourse as a ground (not the club), but that is not enough. They need more than match funding and the pressure is really on the Welsh Assembly to get their fingers out.

As for the bidders ... there is a genuine fear they are being stoked by Hamilscum to prolong events until July when he can evict Wrexham from the Racecourse and make his Archer-like millions from the land.

Gresford Dragon

Dec 18, 2004
Wrexham
To answer Albion Dan - we're still pretty much in dire straights at the moment. There appears to be no news on new bidders and whilst all this goes on the clock is ticking as we have 9 home games left 'til we're evicted.

There's a few copies of the dismal jimmy (the fanzine that brought all the dodgy goings on into the public domain) left on ebay for those interested!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5157993033&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
here's another pic of that superb banner!

brightonbanner5yy.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here