Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slightly O/T - Wembley

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Was taken round the new Wembley stadium yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be superb. Huge compared to the old site, the concourse on the top level is about as wide as the main concourse was at the old stadium.

They've got about 20,000 seats in already, so I could see how much more legroom there is, how much better the sight lines are etc.

The bloke who led us round said he'd bet his own mortgage that it'll be ready for Cup Final. The only concession he made to the possibility that it won't was that he thinks they'll have to install temporary food concessions, because the permanent food shop installations may not be finished in time.

To my (totally untrained) eyes it looks like, after years of bickering and constant slaughtering of the project in the press, we're actually going to end up with a national stadium worthy of the name.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've been on the virtual tour (there's a link on the Albion website), and it doesn't look anything much - until you realise that it's going to be a 90,000 stadium. At present, I can't think of an all-seater stadium in Europe bigger than that.

But I am encouraged by what you say you saw there, and am really looking forward to it opening. It will be quite exciting, and I hope that Albion get there (in whatever capacity) in its early years.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Will England play ALL their games there or will they still tour the country? It's been so good and refreshing for them to play at Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Derby, Leeds etc.

Oct 25, 2003
The Large One said:
I've been on the virtual tour (there's a link on the Albion website), and it doesn't look anything much - until you realise that it's going to be a 90,000 stadium. At present, I can't think of an all-seater stadium in Europe bigger than that.
nou camp is all seater

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
tommy boy said:
nou camp is all seater

Indeed you are correct:

"Inaugurated in 1957, after three years of construction, the five-star Camp Nou stadium is undoubtedly the highest capacity football arena in all of Europe. With 98,800 seats, this architectural mammoth is the home of the Barcelona football club and has hosted four European Cup finals. Its closest match in capacity is Milan's Stadio San Siro with only 85,700 seats."

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Hiney said:
We've got relatives in Golders Green so have watched it going up over the months.

It will be awesome, no question

I just hope they don't sell too many tickets to the Prawn Sandwich brigade

:clap2:

Knowing the FA it will be 85,000 prawn sandwich brigade and 5000 for the real supporters.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I was on a course in Woking for the last few days and on a clear day you could see the arch.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
it will be a beast:clap:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
tommy boy said:
nou camp is all seater

And pretty f***ing awesome it is too!!!!

dsc0159311cj.jpg

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What no running track? I'll stick with Withdean!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It's gonna be a beast of a stadium. Hopefully we'll be lifting the World Cup there in 2018.

daylight_aerial.jpg

wembley01.jpg

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
and none of that two tiered north stand nonsense you get at the Millennium Stadium...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Rangdo said:
Its closest match in capacity is Milan's Stadio San Siro with only 85,700 seats."

ONLY 85,700! I feel sorry for them having to struggle on such meagre gates...

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Downloaded Penguin said:
Will England play ALL their games there or will they still tour the country? It's been so good and refreshing for them to play at Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Derby, Leeds etc.

All England games will be played there which puts an end to the current touring of the grounds they currently. I am cannot wait for this and am fed up of going around the country as some of those games have really wound me up. For example at Middlesbrough when we played Slovakia we had Boro fans cheering Nemeth who also plays for them. Also, we had Ipswich fans chanting anti-Norwich songs when we played at Portman Road once. That is not on.

The only problem with Wembley is that it is not big enough, it should be over 100,000. I also believe we should have built 2 stadiums. Another one between Birmingham and Manchester would have been good then we could play FA Cup semi-finals and play-off finals there so as not to devalue Wembley.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here