Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slag Mark McGhee off but......

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I can't.

On 21st December 2004 a Junior Seagull was knocked off his bike and killed. I had the privilege of being asked to look after his funeral. On the 24th December Mark McGhee phoned me at my office to get the contact details of the child's parents. He arrived at their house that night at 6.30pm having travelled from Reading and said to them "I'm not here as the manager of the Albion, I'm here as parent" and sat with them for nearly two hours.

Say what you want of him as a football manager but as a real bloke he's top notch.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Their was never any doubt about his ability as a human being , always came/comes across as someone who has the time of day for anyone.

I think most were more in doubt of some of his Managerial abilities/substitutions.

That said , fair play to him for that.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
People forget that some great moments came under him. I think he lost the plot towards the end of his reign though. Sounds like a top bloke from this though. :thumbsup:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Mark McGhee was a good manager for us, he was just unfortunate to arrive during our wilderness years at Withdean, promised better things that were never to come his way. There is no reason to slag him off...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
_45888097_mcghee-brighton.jpg

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Mark McGhee was a good manager for us, he was just unfortunate to arrive during our wilderness years at Withdean, promised better things that were never to come his way. There is no reason to slag him off...

Well said, I never said a bad word about him as it must have been terrible having to work with Dick Tight as chairman. Magoo deserves a medal for what he put up with

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
His achievement in keeping us up in the Championship on a shoestring budget (remember the 40 notes fund etc) was never given the credit it deserved.

Decent guy, always going to be fed to the hyenas though.

Oct 25, 2003
keeping us up that season was absolutely incredible.......we were so out of our depth it was unreal

lost the plot a bit the next season with falling out with several players and some of his decisions that season were fairly poor (starting with turienzo and mccammon away to luton, writing games off etc.)...but let's be honest his budget was ridiculously small for a championship club, and he had to sell his best players with no money to really replace them

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thanks in a large part to him (not to mention Leon Knight and Adam Virgo to name but two) we had the one of the best days that I've ever had supporting this football club, so he has my thanks for that, and it seems like he's a top class human being as well from the story posted above.

I hope the club get him along to the Amex for a half time interview soon.

Oct 25, 2003
He kept us up with a forward line of Virgo and McCammon. Unbelievable thinking about it

haha, true....possibly one of the greatest managerial achievements in the HISTORY of football

don't forget it was also he who a) took a reserve centre back, turned him into a right back who scored our equalising goal, helping us into the play-off final, then turned that right back into a striker...earning the club £1.5m to help keep the club afloat and b) took a punt on darren currie who was available on a free before selling him a few months later for £250k, again helping the clubs future

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Their was never any doubt about his ability as a human being , always came/comes across as someone who has the time of day for anyone.

I think most were more in doubt of some of his Managerial abilities/substitutions.

That said , fair play to him for that.

Yeah, this.

Jeff Wood was a lovely bloke but no one is going to tell me he was a good manager. Nonsensical argument

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He still managed to win a game against Palace, which is more than can be said of Gus.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Top man and he gave me aome of my happiest memories as an Albion fan.

To win promotion and then stay in this division for a season at that time with the squad we had and lack of resources was a great achievement. In fact he over achieved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here