Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slade sets sights on play-offs

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Argus seems convinced he'll get the job in the next few days, let's hope they are right.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If he is appointed there are a lot of idiots on here that will owe the blooms and dick knight an apology...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
.. Because there have been so many threads jumping on ridiculous rumours (wise, Stevens etc) before giving the board the benfit of the doubt. There have been a lot of negative threads aimed at the blooms who have put hundreds of thousands of their own money in the club. They deserve a bit more respect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
.. Because there have been so many threads jumping on ridiculous rumours (wise, Stevens etc) before giving the board the benfit of the doubt. There have been a lot of negative threads aimed at the blooms who have put hundreds of thousands of their own money in the club. They deserve a bit more respect.

You obviously aren't old enough to remember the Bloom connection with the Archer and Stanley days, if you were you might understand the cynicism towards the Blooms from some older fans. Happy to give them resepct for the amount of money they have put into the club recently though :thumbsup:

Doesn't mean I trust them

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Unlike Dick Knight who has put in well over a million.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You obviously aren't old enough to remember the Bloom connection with the Archer and Stanley days, if you were you might understand the cynicism towards the Blooms from some older fans. Happy to give them resepct for the amount of money they have put into the club recently though :thumbsup:

Doesn't mean I trust them

I was there in the archer days .. At the last game at the goldstone on the pitch vs York etc etc .. In terms of the blooms involvement at that time I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There has been some wild speculation admittedly, but some of it has also been quite informed and based on reasoned exploration of certain scenarios and analysis of past events. Do the Blooms deserve more respect? Possibly, given that without their backing we might not exist now and so we should be more thankful than we appear to be. Weighed against that though are the events of last season (and for some the previous association with Archer) so I don't think they'll ever be truly 'respected'.

So I do think 'apology' is the wrong word. If they do appoint Slade I'll give a grunt of acknowledgement that, in the circumstances, they made the right decision. As Winston Churchill used to say about the USA: "You can always rely on the Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It could well be argued that that the fans have put massive pressure on the board to do the right thing and give Slade the job. Who's to say what they would have done otherwise?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Slade to be given job AND sets sights on play offs

RUSSELL SLADE is expected to be confirmed as Albion’s permanent boss in the next 24 hours.

His future will be clarified following talks with chairman Dick Knight and major investor Ray Bloom.

The former Yeovil chief is likely to be offered a two-year deal before leaving tomorrow for a family holiday in Cornwall.

And he is already plotting a push for the play-offs next season after steering the Seagulls clear of relegation.

Slade said: “There is so much potential at the club. There is a wonderful opportunity for the club now to learn its lessons in the first place and to move on.

“It should be a team that is in the top ten and challenging for a play-off slot at least. If I get the job that will be my agenda. It’s mouthwatering really, with the clubs coming down from the Championship (Southampton, Charlton and Norwich).

“Even the clubs that have come up are good games for us. The future is a positive one and let’s hope it’s a bright one.”

Slade, appointed two months ago for the rest of the season, was engulfed and held aloft by jubilant fans invading the pitch after Saturday’s 1-0 win against Stockport in front of a sell-out Withdean crowd guaranteed League One survival.

Albion were in the drop zone when he took charge and they were eight points adrift when they were beaten at MK Dons last month.

They looked doomed again after losing at home to Swindon a week later but finished clear of relegation in 16th place with four wins and a draw. Slade said: “I love this football club. Everything has gone well on the field, of course, in the end but the fans, myself and the club have all been united in the situation we were in.

“We have all pulled together and you saw that at the end. Everyone was absolutely delighted and behind the team, even though we were not playing terrific football at times during the game. That was so important.”

Knight said: “Russell knows how highly I regard him. We will obviously be sitting down this week to discuss the future.

“I didn’t want to put him under any pressure, because I wanted him to be 100 per cent focused on the job in hand, which was Saturday’s game.

“The fans turned out in strength and got behind the team. They have seen what Russell has done and that the players were putting maximum effort into it.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here