Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

slade has fallen into the same trap as adams

Terminator1

Oct 4, 2008
I'm absolutely gutted that Slade has now resorted to playing El Abd and Virgo in midfield, two of our players with limited ability on the ball, I really thought Slade was going to play players in their rightful position. Jarrett overall has been poor but i,d rather see him in midfield than these two. This needs sorting out otherwise we are definitely going down. Virgo at centre back or don't play him at all.
Our last hope is throwing Murray and Forster together now and see what we can muster.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I'm absolutely gutted that Slade has now resorted to playing El Abd and Virgo in midfield, two of our players with limited ability on the ball, I really thought Slade was going to play players in their rightful position. Jarrett overall has been poor but i,d rather see him in midfield than these two. This needs sorting out otherwise we are definitely going down. Virgo at centre back or don't play him at all.
Our last hope is throwing Murray and Forster together now and see what we can muster.

Slade may still be taking 'guidance' from Dean White. It will not be long before he forms his own impressions of our players.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

Totally agree.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
We must get Forster and murray back together now..
One thing thou i think we played 5-4-1 because Elabd was very very deep it does slightly concern me thou how we dont have an attacking threat from the centre of the midfield
Yesterday we Had 4 Cb's (Heath,Virgo,Elabd,Elphick) we also had Bangura who dosent really get forward so we dont pose a huge attacking threat from the midfield
Thats why i liked Thornton he gave us something different a bit of flair and creativity wonder if sending the on loan keeper back and getting him might be a good option

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Why no Birchall in his best role,i.e centre midfield? the only midfielder we've got at moment who can pass the ball forward that ive seen,

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Like The Virgo / El Abd combination or not (and I know that most of us don't), the fact is that Slade had a game plan yesterday and the objective was clearly to prevent Scunthorpe from scoring early on and to ensure we were still in the game in the second half, then seeing if Carole / Owusu could come on for us and help nick a goal. OK, it didn't work out, but after seeing us ripped apart by Walsall and given that we were playing a top team away from home, I don't think you can really fault his thinking.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Like The Virgo / El Abd combination or not (and I know that most of us don't), the fact is that Slade had a game plan yesterday and the objective was clearly to prevent Scunthorpe from scoring early on and to ensure we were still in the game in the second half, then seeing if Carole / Owusu could come on for us and help nick a goal. OK, it didn't work out, but after seeing us ripped apart by Walsall and given that we were playing a top team away from home, I don't think you can really fault his thinking.

OK. His thinking was maybe right, but playing those two in midfield was wrong, wrong, wrong. ElAbd maybe. But Virgo should have been CB ... or striker with Forster.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

And how does having El-Abd and Virgo in midfield help with this plan when neither are midfielders?

Unsurprising to see people now defending him putting these two in midfield compared to slating Adams for doing it. All I've heard since Slade has been here is, 'we've now got a manager who knows what he's doing' none of this nonsense of putting players in strange poisitions, he'll put them in their rightfull position' blah blah.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
And how does having El-Abd and Virgo in midfield help with this plan when neither are midfielders?

Unsurprising to see people now defending him putting these two in midfield compared to slating Adams for doing it. All I've heard since Slade has been here is, 'we've now got a manager who knows what he's doing' none of this nonsense of putting players in strange poisitions, he'll put them in their rightfull position' blah blah.

You say that neither of them are midfielders, but ultimately most professional footballers are adaptable enough to play in other positions - it is a matter of judgement as to whether they are good enough in those positions. You clearly think that El Abd can't play in midfield, but two consecutive managers and the coaches who train them every day think otherwise.

OK, neither Virgs or El Bad are going to make a defence-splitting pass, but both of them can break down attacks, tackle and head the ball which Slade clearly deemed important when playing away to Scunthorpe. Also, a change was definitely necessary after Walsall given that Jarrett was p*ss poor and looked almost disinterested.

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
Don't blame the players or Slade who is a great motivator.

The real problem is Tweddle Dee and Tweedle Dum. If you do not have coaches with a bit of common sense how on earth can the players perform. Get rid of them now - give the job of coaching to Forster til the end of the season. These hangers on must go NOW.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully the planning went like this:

Wednesday:

DW: "El-Abd and Virgo make a great midfield pairing and will be much better than that shower we put out on last night"
RS: "Well, Dick tells me you know these players better than anyone so I'll trust your judgement and go with it"

Saturday 5pm:

RS: "Dean, you clueless tw@t - you haven't got a clue about football have you. Whatever made you think El-Abd and Virgo were midfielders. Please keep out of my way until the end of the season and fill your spare time job hunting."

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
slade has said on a couple of occasions that several players had had their last chance.

Its a reasonable assumption that them who were dropped were dropped due to attitude rather than a desire to play other players out of position.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The dynamic duo have influenced RS into believing that Virgs and El Bad can play in a midfield role. They can be put in midfield but they dont have any influence there , so its pointless putting them there.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Anyone know if Murray is getting closer to playing a whole 90 mins yet..

The quicker we get Murray and Forster together, the quicker we can get out of the shit !!

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
El-Abd is not a midfielder...............fact, not even opinions, look how many games we have won with him in midfield this season ?...............one that was against Swindon away, where i could have played there and we would still have won as they were awful that day. Virgo is not a midfielder either, nor a forward, he is a center back full stop. If El-Abd plays anywhere I still think the only position he can play is right back as a back up to Whing. Again his record at center back is pretty bad aswell.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Anyone know if Murray is getting closer to playing a whole 90 mins yet..

The quicker we get Murray and Forster together, the quicker we can get out of the shit !!

We have two reserve games this week, he's down to play a half in one of them. If all goes well he should be available for Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here