Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Television

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009
Hi

Need some advice regarding the boxes I have, in front room sky plus HD box and a standard box in the bedroom. My questions is regarding the phone cable they both have attatched to them, i have no way in my house of descreatly hiding the phone lines and was wondering if i could unplug them and keep them behind box. does anyone know wether they need to be constantly connected, I know if you wish to purchase box office or any ppv you need it connected, but everyday use want to unplug.

Cheers for your help.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You're supposed to keep them connected for a year, after that you can do what you like.
If you disconnect before then, they may send a letter threatening to charge full price for the box.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I have HD downstairs and normal upstairs with no phone cable but I think you need phone cable for box office, and the engineer said it was ok.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
you are contracted to maintain that phone connection for a year from installing the system and possibly after a change of package.
But my son has a friend who is a sky installer and he said when installing my sons HD that they have no realistic way of checking so my sons HD is not phone connected at all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My son had problems with standard sky + as they kept telling himthat the 2nd box was on a different telephone and then eventually charged him for 2 installations. After many phone calls and threats they eventually sent an engineer who established that it was all on the same telephone number in the same house so they must have some way of telling what is happening, I would think.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
They do monitor boxes & send out letters if not connected. Its a chance you take.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
My son had problems with standard sky + as they kept telling himthat the 2nd box was on a different telephone and then eventually charged him for 2 installations. After many phone calls and threats they eventually sent an engineer who established that it was all on the same telephone number in the same house so they must have some way of telling what is happening, I would think.

I am Sure, if they try,they can contact the box,after all it must have a Modem or some other device to pass on your Box Office orders but why would they invest in equipment to moniter if a box is actually connected.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was only when a friend of his, who is a solicitor, sent them a letter stating that it was not his reponsibility to prove it was all connected to 1 telephone number that they agreed to send an engineer to check it and even then they wanted to charge him £69. They eventually sent the engineer for free and all is now well.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you have multiroom then you are obliged to have both boxes connected to a phone line. Our box upstairs has the cable run outside the house and the 2 phone cables have been joined downstairs.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I am Sure, if they try,they can contact the box,after all it must have a Modem or some other device to pass on your Box Office orders but why would they invest in equipment to moniter if a box is actually connected.

I believe it is because when you have your box installed, you only pay a fraction of it's value. This is because the cost is subsidised by the companies offering the interactive services. i.e. they are banking on people connecting so they can recoup this money. I presume for this to happen, sky have to prove that they are keeping their side of the bargain.
At least that used to be the case, so I presume it still is.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
My advice would be to unplug it. If you get a warning letter, just plug it back in.

In my own experience, I unplugged it the same day as installation and didn't hear a thing from SKY. Maybe it's just a random thing they do.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
My advice would be to unplug it. If you get a warning letter, just plug it back in.

In my own experience, I unplugged it the same day as installation and didn't hear a thing from SKY. Maybe it's just a random thing they do.

No its not random. The box will periodically phone Sky, usually over night, whether you have ordered a box office film or not. Occasionally you might see the telephone light on the front panel light up for about 30 seconds or so while it does it. Sky therefore know if your connected or not. However its quite right that you need only connect the phone for a year after which you can do what you like. The only downside of not being connected is that you have to phone Sky for a Box office film and I think they charge you extra if you do.

braintree

Jan 12, 2010
I've had Sky, Sky +, now Sky HD over the last 10 years - never had the phone line connected, never had one call or letter.

I believe they do check on your second box if you have multi-room, but again that could also be bollox.

BTW - rang to cancel Sky Sports package yesterday as my half price for 2 months package was coming to an end (took it out for the Colchester away game on Sky), they offered me full (without pushing) Sky Sports for £3 a month for the next 4 months (usually £18) - saving me £60. Be aware you have to give a months notice now.

They appear desperate and don't mind you doing back to back deals, regardless of how many you've taken advantage of in the past - I'm a serial offender.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I believe they do check on your second box if you have multi-room, but again that could also be bollox..

Sky want to know that your 2nd box is at the billing address due to people taking their boxes on holiday to Europe with them. :)

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
When mine was installed the engineer couldnt be bothered to connect the phone cable and five years later it still hasnt been connected - I wouldnt be bothered

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here