Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky or Freeview

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was complaining to my son about the cost of sky especially now they have seperated the sports channels to be on different packages so as to charge more. He said that he is considering getting rid of sky and buying a Freeview recorder box available in Argos for £74. There is no further payments required but he thinks that you can buy more channels and include sky sports much cheaper than a monthly sky subscription. I would be grateful for some views and comments on this as I am unsure of whether to follow suit or not. I have sky sports except sky sports 1 as I wont pay the extra money just for that. Debate please.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Freeview you pay something like 6 quid a month EACH for sky sports 1 and sky sports 2 - you cannot get 3 and 4 and funnily enough sky have started showing more football on 3.

EDIT: I tell a lie, it's nearer 20 quid a month!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's all about budget I guess bg, I have recently moved and had freeview whilst waiting for sky. Those 4 weeks were terible such a relief to get sky instaled

edit I don't mind paying 67 quid a month for HD and all chanells including all sports, bband and free eve and weekend calls

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
we got rid of Sky a few years back. Crap channels, films weve all seen before, continuous repeats.

The only thing it was good for was the Sports. Saved £50 a month and go and watch it down the pub if I need to see some football.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sky costs too much and the only thing worth getting are the sports channels. I personally have a Freeview recorder which i bought off ebay for £40 recently, it's superb and I can record all the t.v I want on it and skip through the adverts

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't mind paying 67 quid a month for HD and all chanells including all sports, bband and free eve and weekend calls

Can I ask if that cuts BT completely out of the equation? That's the one utility bill I really resent paying. Only make about a fiver's worth of calls a quarter, then by the time they've added on VAT and Line Rental my quarterly phone bill is always fifty quid plus. :angry:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Can I ask if that cuts BT completely out of the equation? That's the one utility bill I really resent paying. Only make about a fiver's worth of calls a quarter, then by the time they've added on VAT and Line Rental my quarterly phone bill is always fifty quid plus. :angry:

No, you still need a BT line, but I think you pay the rental direct to SKY who pass it on to BT.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It really depends how much football you want to watch on TV and how much you're prepared to pay for it. Personally, I've never had Sky as I can't justify the expense. I've had Setanta and now ESPN for the last couple of years but now planning to ditch that as I never seem to be in or bothered when they do have anything on. There's plenty of football on the "normal" channels available on Freeview to keep me happy.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I have Virgin Media but no sports package as I watch SKY through my XBOX (as I can get all 4 sports channels streamed for 5 quid a month, but the quality isn't that good).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have Freeview, it's mostly crap but at least it's free crap and I'm not sponsoring the Premier League.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sky costs too much and the only thing worth getting are the sports channels. I personally have a Freeview recorder which i bought off ebay for £40 recently, it's superb and I can record all the t.v I want on it and skip through the adverts

That is exactly what I want to do but having SSN would be a bonus.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's a shame freeview have over priced their Sports packages. £20 for SS1 or £30 for SS1 and 2 is way too much. £15 for the pair is a lot fairer and still more than BT offer but you dont have to pay extra for the other tele like BT.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
You get what you pay for Sky > Virgin > Freeview > 1 to 5

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you cancel Sky the dodgybox will still give you the free satellite channels but you wont be able to record any of them. A Freesat PVR can be connected to replace the dodgybox if you want to record the free channels on satellite. A Freeview PVR needs a card slot to unscramble Sky or TUTV (TopUpTV) as some boxes wont have the required card slot. Sky on Freeview is only SS1 and SS2 , you dont get SS3 and SS4 and is expensive. If you want SSN on Sky , most people think they have to pay for the sports package to get it but it is also in the news package which is much cheaper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mt beef is that I pay for a package which includes some sky sports, not all of them, as they did when I first took out sky. I then pay extra for multi room which uses exactly the same signal etc as if I didnt have it, so why the £10 per month other than as a rip off.

My total months bill is £47, if I bought a freeview box which works the same as sky+ from Argos for £74 it would pay for itself in 2 months. I wouldnt pay for multi room as we could record 2 programmes in one room and watch another channel in the 2nd room. Or am I getting this all mixed up? Thereafter the 2nd room will always be free as would the main box if we didnt have the extra channels.

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
watch football live online )

goalstube.com has highlights up a few hrs after each big game too.

sky - u really need to research who and what ur money goes to. sigh.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
watch football live online )

goalstube.com has highlights up a few hrs after each big game too.

sky - u really need to research who and what ur money goes to. sigh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here