Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skating is great

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Following on from the thread about swimming I really wanted to highlight how great skating is!!

I have found this out well into mid age. Having not skated all my life I took to the ice at Bristol zoo, shortly before the Yeovil game, and have now been on the rink in Sheffield, at the Brighton centre (when it was briefly there) and today at the Guildford Spectrum. Still rubbish but thats middle aged for you!

Have to say this latest day out was a real eyeopener. What a facility the Guildford Spectrum is. Skating, swimming (pretty good lots of flume rides etc) and bowling. The place was packed, and the skating was good.

But it made me realise for the first time in my life what I have missed as a result of the shocking facilites along the coast for skating and come to mention it swimming as well. Its time for both to be covered in a much better way, certainly in Brighton on the skating front and Christ please god why can't Worthing finally get off its back side and get a decent sports facility. Guildford is no better place than Brighton or Worthing but walks all over us in terms of this facility.

And no this time I managed to stay on my feet, just.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Went to the spectrum a few weeks ago.we went swimming which is great fun with the flumes etc.we were going to skate but it was shutting for ice hockey that evening.
I too thought to myself what a lack of decent facilities we have around here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We skated at the Spectrum as a family and a great day out.

Also roller blading on the sea front at Hove is excellent fun as well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Giraffe, don't expect an immediate solution to your skating bug.

Black crock? - North Stand Chat

I knew that the plans were halted, but must confess that I didn't know Erinaceous were involved.

Wihout going into details as I can't their purchase of Shoreham Airport was one of the shadiest deals that Brighton and Hove and/or WOrthing Councils have ever done, an absolute disgrace.

Erinaceous is a company that some while ago started buying everything going, generally in property but not confined to that. At one time about a year ago their share price stood at £4, it is now about 1 or 2p. The largest slump in share value of any Plc. The reason, they bought companies and property largely by giving shares in the PLC. As a result they could buy quickly and grew rapidly. Anyone with any clue at all about finances could see what was going to happen. Sadly it would see having a clue and Brighton and Hove Council don't go to together.

But anyway back to the point, I can't believe that a skating rink in Brighton or in fact in Worthing could not be a fantastic investment for someone. It would be heavily used and if combined with a swimming facility etc would be a major attraction. Why do these things not get off the ground?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton & Hove CC sold Shoreham Airport at cut-price, didn't they? :rolleyes:

I agree with you. For such a 'thriving' city we are severely lacking decent athletic facilities. Skating would be huge. We have two Universities and generally a young population!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Ice Skating - NEVER AGAIN. I went to the rink at Bluewater (Christmas of 2006) and I was terrible even before I went so I knew I was going to suck at it.
When skating I ground to a halt with no barriers in site. I tried moving and my leg slipped, got it back on the ground but then the other slipped. Needless to say I found myself in an uncontrollable "comical slip" with my legs and arms flailing all over the place. This continued for upwards of 15 seconds, which by that time I decided to stop and just fell to the ground. Needless to say the spectators were having a good ol' laugh at my expense :(

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ice Skating - NEVER AGAIN. I went to the rink at Bluewater (Christmas of 2006) and I was terrible even before I went so I knew I was going to suck at it.
When skating I ground to a halt with no barriers in site. I tried moving and my leg slipped, got it back on the ground but then the other slipped. Needless to say I found myself in an uncontrollable "comical slip" with my legs and arms flailing all over the place. This continued for upwards of 15 seconds, which by that time I decided to stop and just fell to the ground. Needless to say the spectators were having a good ol' laugh at my expense :(

I think that would be a good summary as to my experience at Bristol zoo. Myself and Mrs Giraffe took both little Giraffes for all of our debuts on the ice.

We were discussing beforehand how it could be a nightmare us trying to keep the kids from getting cross if they couldn't do it. Five minutes in and me and the Mrs are barely able to move let alone let go of the side, whilst the kids are speeding off into the distance doing double whatsynames!!

Needless to say after a few goes I am still bordering on the crap and need a good half hour before I come away from the crutch that is the edge of the rink!!

Some poor father at the Spectrum today crashed to the ground and skating had to be halted whilst they stretchered him off to the waiting ambulance. You do have to be a bit careful when you reach a certain age!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Oh AND I forgot to mention that some little West Ham fan was skating around at the speed of light. He came up to me several times asking me if I wanted help skating.
He went on to say he had never done any skating before and it was his first time (his dad confirmed it). If him being a West Sham supporter wasn't bad enough, he was only 6 years old and made me look like a complete MUG :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here