Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir John Harvey-Jones

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP to perhaps one of our greatest business man of all time in the UK and I must say his TV series Troubleshooter was the start of all other business programs.

Also he was chairman of ICI when I think they were the first ever British company to post a billion pound profit in a year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..didnt he shoot Kennedy as well?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No. That was Oswald Mosley. You're thinking of Harvey Proctor. The Tory MP who invented fairy washing up liquid.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was interested to read today that although his fame (at least) is put down to the free market entrepreneurial spirit of the 80s..

.. he hated Thatcher and Thatcher hated him.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sir John H-J had a skill which is often lacking in the UK, management.

Managers these days often get where they are with few management skills, especially in man management & motivation. There's too much brown nosing leading to lack of quality at the top and those managers already there are often out to stifle, rather than nuture, those coming through.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As a timely reminder there is an episode of Troubleshooter on BBC2 tonight at 23:20 which was a great series.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
RIP to perhaps one of our greatest business man of all time in the UK and I must say his TV series Troubleshooter was the start of all other business programs.

Also he was chairman of ICI when I think they were the first ever British company to post a billion pound profit in a year.

And that is something to be proud of, is it ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Sir John H-J had a skill which is often lacking in the UK, management.

Managers these days often get where they are with few management skills, especially in man management & motivation. There's too much brown nosing leading to lack of quality at the top and those managers already there are often out to stifle, rather than nuture, those coming through.

You obviously know my office well then :lolol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
You obviously know my office well then :lolol:

It's just endemic in Britain today. In my organisation, there's an awfully long drawn out process for promotion, preparing CV's, providing examples, proving 'competences'.

That's all well meaning but people are told what to put if they want to suceed & what the 'board' are loking for. there seems to be no burden of proof that you can actually do all the things you say you can.

In a team the manager picks the best people for the jobs, depending on the different talents needed in a particular job. If a manager chooses well then the whole team, especially him, do well.

Now we have organisations spending vast ammounts on consultants to tell them how to manage, a job that they pay their own managers to do!

Management is a skill in it's own right. Perversly, many good managers upset those above them. In football terms it's like Brian Clough & the FA.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It's just endemic in Britain today. In my organisation, there's an awfully long drawn out process for promotion, preparing CV's, providing examples, proving 'competences'.

That's all well meaning but people are told what to put if they want to suceed & what the 'board' are loking for. there seems to be no burden of proof that you can actually do all the things you say you can.

In a team the manager picks the best people for the jobs, depending on the different talents needed in a particular job. If a manager chooses well then the whole team, especially him, do well.

Now we have organisations spending vast ammounts on consultants to tell them how to manage, a job that they pay their own managers to do!

Management is a skill in it's own right. Perversly, many good managers upset those above them. In football terms it's like Brian Clough & the FA.

Yep, all sounds vary familiar. I generally find that incompetent managers get into a position that is beyond their capabilities through either brown-nosing the right people or, as you say, saying the "right" things at the interview rather than proving the right things.

Once they are there their incompetence is like a cancer as they surrond themselves with further incompetents in order to deflect from their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here