Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Jim Ratcliffe's Five Rules

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
manu.jpg

(Need to acknowledge that the source of this is dubious. Might be BS.)

Personally, I have limited interest in Man Utd and their new, tax-dodging, Brexit-loving overlord.

BUT I wonder how different it is to the Albion, if we're honest?

1) Pretty much the same. Although for us it's obv about wages which come with experience, not just age.

And, yes, we sign pros at the end of their career. Surely Man Utd need some of those too?!

2) Ok, not really an option for us.

3) I think we're locked into a style now - just not to a specific person?

4) Same for us?

5) Very specific. But maybe same/similar at the Albion?

Anyway, if this is true, we won't be seeing RDZ join United...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
View attachment 183178

Personally, I have limited interest in Man Utd and their new, tax-dodging, Brexit-loving overlord.

1) Pretty much the same. Although for us it's obv about wages which come with experience, not just age.

And, yes, we sign pros at the end of their career. Surely Man Utd need some of those too?!

4) Same for us?

Hardly a surprise, Ashworth will have written it for him

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds pretty similar. other than 25 limit i'm sure this is fairly standard these days with "head coach" rather than "manager".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

They were discussing it at length on TS 4 hours ago, so I imagine it's accurate. Andy wasn't behind rule 3, but it makes sense to me. You need to have a style in mind in order to bring in the right players to fit that style, and when the manager changes, you don't want to have to ditch all of your players and get new ones for the style of the next manager. Instead, just get a manager that fits with the style you're wanting (I imagine there will be leeway for the head coach to tweak it somewhat).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely they can’t have a “No dickheads” rule though

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I read a piece on him in the guardian the other day. By all accounts he is hell bent on securing public money to pay for the redevelopment of Old Trafford and by as the richest man in the nation and his extreme power, and the people he knows in power he is probably likely to secure it.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's quite a wild thread-merge, mods!

My thead was about new rules at Man Utd, and comparing them with the Albion - not about Ratcliffe!

Hmmmph!
Fixed for you.

I was thinking about this today, and what feels like even more of a shift towards head coaches and not old-school managers with wider responsibilities. It's why Chelsea want Maresca and why Kieran McKenna seems to be sought after.

Even the big rich clubs just can't afford to start again with squads and playing styles every time they change their gaffer.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I read a piece on him in the guardian the other day. By all accounts he is hell bent on securing public money to pay for the redevelopment of Old Trafford and by all accounts as the richest man in the nation and his extreme power he is probably likely to secure it.
He can whistle. He lives in Monaco FFS.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Fixed for you.

I was thinking about this today, and what feels like even more of a shift towards head coaches and not old-school managers with wider responsibilities. It's why Chelsea want Maresca and why Kieran McKenna seems to be sought after.

Even the big rich clubs just can't afford to start again with squads and playing styles every time they change their gaffer.
Thanks.

Yeah, it's been shifting for a while.

Everytime I hear a caller on a phone-ins blaming a manager for a duff signing, I wonder who actually made the call.

I guess it wouldn't look/sound good if a manager said "Yes, I know he's crap - but signing him wasn't my idea!"

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is a big argument that we are one of, if not the best, run club in the world. It makes total sense we will be copied

4 makes me laugh though "You must copy the ex winger from Blackburn's philosophy" I appreciate we have a style and managers must broadly fit in but that is a a bit too rigid and impractical for me.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Fixed for you.

True dat.

However, of all the top 4 Pep, Arteta, Klopp and Emery. Not one head coach, all are old school managers, in as much as mostly full control.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
View attachment 183178

4) Same for us?

Thinking about it, we sort of did option 2 a couple of times. Vicente and Fati were 2 footballers that could have been elite - if not Galacticos - but neither really worked out for us and I'm not convinced either were great for the team. It's rare it's works for anyone in the long term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here