Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sign here

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If u think England have got any chance of winning the World Cup, interested to see how many of you have st george tinted glasses. I think there may be an unhealthy amount of dreamers out there.

Anyone under 25 is excused for believing, you'll learn in time........the rest of you need to get a grip:lolol: and not the same Gripp that Sven has got either.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The starting 11 is generally decent, not sure about some of the squad options. If we find some form, we are one of the better European sides in the tournament, depends on the South Americans.

I think the midfield needs to be looked at in the friendlies as Gerrard and Lampard does not seem to work.

Still you should now get the uselss Swede drivel from the usual suspects, even though we have qualified for his third tournament in a row....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
of course we have a chance - not a big one, but we still have a chance. Greece won the Euro's ffs

When did a team as shit as Greece win the World Cup then, completely different ball game :)rolleyes: ) when South Americans are involved....but dream on

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Well Sven said he was happy with the performance against Austria.
If thats the standard that is acceptable to him we have no F in chance.:( :( :(

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Not a chance. I have given up on ever seeing England win the world cup. We have without doublt some very fine players, but they play like they haven't a clue, and passionless when playing for England. And don't give me this it's Sven's fault (although he is as over-rated as our team), if the players can't be arsed when representing thier country they shouldn't be selected. (And by being arsed I don't mean running around tring to decapitate the opposition which appears to be Rooney and Beckham's approach.

If you want to seee England win a world cup I suggest watching Rugby or Cricket, or probably any other sport you care to mention.

Sorry for the negativity.:(

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

Still you should now get the uselss Swede drivel from the usual suspects, even though we have qualified for his third tournament in a row....

Just how bad do we have to be, with what most consider a talented team, before you will even consider that Sven is not doing a great job? We're not gonna change him but I find it hard to believe that you consider him a good manager, putting aside who is or is not likely to do a better job.

Do you really really believe in him Uncle Buck???

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
When did a team as shit as Greece win the World Cup then, completely different ball game :)rolleyes: ) when South Americans are involved....but dream on

Well Germany got to the last final and they were truely awful. Oh and Turkey got the semi's, but did not qualify for Euro 2004 and may not qualify for this World Cup.

A lot depends on the draw, I sure the flat heads could not believe their luck at the last World Cup.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Just how bad do we have to be, with what most consider a talented team, before you will even consider that Sven is not doing a great job? We're not gonna change him but I find it hard to believe that you consider him a good manager, putting aside who is or is not likely to do a better job.

Do you really really believe in him Uncle Buck???

His record both a club and international football stand up to scrutiny. There are times where he is over cautious and I do agree at times that his motivational stance does not look great. However we have qualified, we now have about 5 games to fine tune things and we shall see.

I am sure I am going to get the usual drivelly replies about being one dimensional when it comes to tactics, but bringing on King on Saturday was exactly the correct move to protect the lead when we went down to 10 men.

At the end of the day football is results driven not performance driven and if grinding out 7 wins at 1-0 wins us the World Cup then that will do me just fine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Happy to oblige. :)

Whats the BIG DEAL about England qualifying ? The only tournament we've missed out on in recent memory is USA 94, when we failed in a group containing Holland and Norway. Otherwise you have to go back to the 70's for christs sake.

It makes me laugh how some people feel its such an ACHIEVEMENT to qualify for these tournaments. England have an embarrassment of riches to draw upon - we are a major footballing nation, and qualifying for the Finals is the absolute MINIMUM we should be expecting. Qualifying isn't an achievement - its a requirement.

We've finished in the top 2 of a group containing Azerbaijan, Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria and Poland. Well WOO HOO, well done Sven - you're worth every penny of that £4m a year. We've plodded our way to Germany - now the work starts. He's got a 3rd chance to guide us to something other than a limp, pathetic, gutless exit that we've seen at the last 2 tournaments. But going by our current form, I'm not overly optimistic.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Of course we have a chance.

Merthyr Tydfil still have a chance of winning the FA Cup.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Icy Gull said:

and when did the South Americans last win a world cup in Europe then ?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
if every player and i mean every player played to their potential yes,with a bit of luck which every team who has won the cup has had!!,but to be honest cant see that happening with sven in charge.saying that brazil look like they will be unstopperble

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Happy to oblige. :)

Whats the BIG DEAL about England qualifying ? The only tournament we've missed out on in recent memory is USA 94, when we failed in a group containing Holland and Norway. Otherwise you have to go back to the 70's for christs sake.

It makes me laugh how some people feel its such an ACHIEVEMENT to qualify for these tournaments. England have an embarrassment of riches to draw upon - we are a major footballing nation, and qualifying for the Finals is the absolute MINIMUM we should be expecting. Qualifying isn't an achievement - its a requirement.

We've finished in the top 2 of a group containing Azerbaijan, Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria and Poland. Well WOO HOO, well done Sven - you're worth every penny of that £4m a year. We've plodded our way to Germany - now the work starts. He's got a 3rd chance to guide us to something other than a limp, pathetic, gutless exit that we've seen at the last 2 tournaments. But going by our current form, I'm not overly optimistic.

Go back to cheap insults it suits you better.

Now it may have escaped you, but if you do not qualify, you do not get to take part in the finals and so have no chance of winning.

His brief in September 2004 will have been to qualify for the World Cup, which he has done. Next will be to get us into a position of winning it, which we can do as we have qualified.

Really.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Quater finals. Via second in group stage because of poor 1st game and then two good perfomances geting enough points to go through but face one of tounament favourites in out side of the draw where we will go out on penalties or a flukey hand of god or Ronaldhinio type free kick.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
what a dull thread, there's been about 10 dire negative ones likes this over the weekend.

We may as well not enter the tournament FFS. All I hope for is some exciting football, maybe beating a Germany/Argentina/Italy along the way and some good booze ups.....and I'm sure we'll get plenty of that:clap:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:
All I hope for is some exciting football,

Realistic if unispiring aspiration and I make no apology for the dull thread following 5 or 6 dull performances from England, it's kind of in keeping don't you think? Wish I could get excited about next summers prospects :)

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I think we'll win it, showing classic signs of good team playing crap, but getting the job done. I'd be happy if every game in the World Cup was like the Austria Game and we won the tournement!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here