Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shut up!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Blot on the landscape
Your correspondence columns and news reports - "Albion boss hits back at protesters" (The Argus, August 31) - regularly demonstrate the pro-stadium lobby must walk around wearing blinkers. Or maybe the poor things never leave the urban streets to walk over the Downs.

The A27 and Brighton University campus are certainly unattractive at close quarters but what really matters is the overall setting.

Seen from the heights of the Downs, the present development at Falmer and Stanmer is relatively unobtrusive, whereas the proposed stadium would be a terrible blot on a very beautiful, panoramic landscape.

Mike Strong, Warleigh Road, Brighton

:shutup:

His letter is going to be ripped to shreds.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
"very beautiful, panoramic landscape"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Mr Strong...

dickhead.jpg

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
when will it all end!

these same tunnel visioned f**k-wits will be on the next case shortly concerning SCC ground improvement plans.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
BarrelofFun said:
"...the pro-stadium lobby must walk around wearing blinkers."

So it's not the anti-falmer brigade wearing blinkers then...

:rolleyes:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
He could always just turn around and look at the landscape in a different direction :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BarrelofFun said:
Blot on the landscape
Your correspondence columns and news reports - "Albion boss hits back at protesters" (The Argus, August 31) - regularly demonstrate the pro-stadium lobby must walk around wearing blinkers. Or maybe the poor things never leave the urban streets to walk over the Downs.

The A27 and Brighton University campus are certainly unattractive at close quarters but what really matters is the overall setting.

Seen from the heights of the Downs, the present development at Falmer and Stanmer is relatively unobtrusive, whereas the proposed stadium would be a terrible blot on a very beautiful, panoramic landscape.

Mike Strong, Warleigh Road, Brighton

:shutup:

His letter is going to be ripped to shreds.

Dear Sirs

In response to Mike Strong's letter concerning the beautiful panoramic views from the heights of the Downs, might I just remind him of the old adage, that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'?

I regularly leave the urban streets behind to play golf at Hollingbury Golf Course, parts of which are at the very peak of the highest point of the Downs in this part of Sussex.

From these viewpoints you do indeed enjoy panoramic views in all directions, overlooking the entire city of Brighton and Hove to the South, Shoreham and Worthing to the West, pleasant green countryside [and ASDA!] to the North, and to the East - nestled into the downs, the grey swathe of the A27 accompanied by the concrete blocks of the University.

You have a very good overall impression from this vantage point of the impact the proposed stadium development will have. One brown field and half a dozen grey concrete blocks, will be replaced with the low, sweeping roof arches of the stadium. In the eye of this particular beholder, this will represent a significant improvement.

Mr Strong is perfectly entitled to his opinion, but should remember that it is simply that - his opinion. Finally, I suggest that he should refrain from making sweeping generalisations [do all sports fans live in towns?] and patronising the large sections of the population of Brighton and Hove who voted in favour of this development.

Best regards

Simon Huffer

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Dear Sirs

In response to Mike Strong's letter. Is he a f***ing head mentalist or what?

regards,

80s Seagull

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
80's Seagull said:
Dear Sirs

In response to Mike Strong's letter. Is he a f***ing head mentalist or what?

regards,

80s Seagull

Fair play, but I'm not convinced the Argus would print it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dear Sirs

As someone who enjoys taking regular walks on the South Downs, I firmly back the stadium proposal near Falmer.

A stadium at this site will not provide a 'blot on the landscape' (Mike Strong, 5/9/06), but a marvellous icon for progessive yet sensitive and complimentary architecture in a location largely ignored by walkers, ramblers and outdoor adventurists. As a noisy, unpleasant smelling area (and I am not referring to the natural aroma of the nearby farms), it is not a place I tend to go walking. And on the rare ocassions I have gone walking around Falmer, I have tended to find no-one else doing the same.

The South Downs, on the whole, are indeed panoramic and beautiful, and we should all consider ourselves very fortunate to be living on them (yes, Mr Strong, you too live on a development on the South Downs). However, this is not the case in every part, and the only panoramic and beautiful landscape visible in this part of Sussex is FROM the proposed stadium site, not OF the site.

Perhaps the 'poor thing' should study the plans for the stadium, and see through the deliberate mis-information and, in some cases, downright lies peddled by the opponents of the plans before insulting the people who consider social inclusion, health and education as well as sport high on their list of priorities.

Yours
Alan Wares

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here