Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should you ever change a winning formula?

Would you change a winning formula?

• Keep the team unchanged

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Bring in the new boys

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
After sucessive 5-1 and 3-1 wins do you think Gus should pick the same team again for Sheffield Wednesday (except for injuries) or bring in the new signings?

Last edited:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
After sucessive 5-1 and 3-1 wins do you think Gus should pick the same team again for Sheffield Wednesday or bring in the new signings?
Well it wasn't the same team for those games, but leaving that aside, apart from forced changes (Crofts may be out, El-Abd knackered), the only player I would have thought of dropping would be Dicker; however he played well in both games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dobbie and either Hammond or Lopez in there and then there's Buckley to consider..hmm

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
My team, presuming El-Abd is ok and Crofts/Vicente are injured.

---------Kuszczak----------

Bruno El-Abd Greer Bridge

---------Bridcutt ----------

-----Lopez--Hammond----

KLL------------------Barnes

-----------CMS-------------

Not sure how to fit Dobbie or Orlandi in yet

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think it begs the question, how many wins becomes a "winning formula"? For me, that isn't 2 games.

We have so much talent in our squad right now, I don't think we can be stuck in any one single XI or one single formation. We can change from game to game depending on how the opponents are expected to play, and have the players to slot into whatever formation Gus wants.

Ur_havin_a_Laugh

⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽&
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Dicker is our weakest link and needs replacing IMO

But think Gus will drop Barnes too

Ur_havin_a_Laugh

⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽&
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
-------------------kuszczac-------------------
---Bruno-----El abd-----Greer-----Bridge---
------------Bridcutt-----Hammond-----------
---Lopez---------------------------Orlando---
--------------CMS--------Dobbie--------------

Ur_havin_a_Laugh

⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽&
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
My opinion attacking 4-2-4 if anything. My post doesn't say what I think Gus will play. Grump

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
New boys in for me:

Hammond for Crofts is obvious, and has been hinted at by Gus.
Orlandi in for Kaz; the latter to come on as impact sub, when opponents are getting tired.
Lopez for Dicker, although I feel that Dicker has been good this season, so not sure on this one.
Dobbie for Barnes. The latter was excellent against Barnsley, but not so good against Burnley (so I understand), and there is no way Gus can drop Macca, or leave out the Scottish Messi! :)

Some close calls there, so clould come down to how the new boys perform in training up to the Sheff W game.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
the team Gus picks should be relative to our opponents - the only players that I can see pick themselves at the moment are Tomasz, Greer, Bridders, and Macca.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My team, presuming El-Abd is ok and Crofts/Vicente are injured.

-----Lopez--Hammond----

Not sure how to fit Dobbie or Orlandi in yet

Poor will buckley, a hero last season, now forgotten!

Its a good problem to have, fwiw i would drop barnes for dobbie, barnes has done nowt wrong, but when gus has dropped him before and he's come on as a sub, he plays like a man possessed to prove a point.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom

-----Orlandi--Hammond----

I don't think Lopez should start, and Dobbie should come on for barnes around 55-60 mins in

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Poor will buckley, a hero last season, now forgotten!

Its a good problem to have, fwiw i would drop barnes for dobbie, barnes has done nowt wrong, but when gus has dropped him before and he's come on as a sub, he plays like a man possessed to prove a point.

Not so much forgotten, just that Lua Lua had to wait his turn on the bench while Noone was starting so happy to keep Buckley on the bench while KLL gets a run of starts. Will be just as happy if Buckley starts there and Lua Lua is on the bench however.

Will be very tricky for Gus to decide what to do when Crofts and Vicente are back, as well as trying to get Orlandi and Dobbie intregrated. As you say though, it's a nicer problem than not having enough players!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think it begs the question, how many wins becomes a "winning formula"? For me, that isn't 2 games.

We have so much talent in our squad right now, I don't think we can be stuck in any one single XI or one single formation. We can change from game to game depending on how the opponents are expected to play, and have the players to slot into whatever formation Gus wants.

This for me also.

If one or two of the new boys tear it up in training then its going to be hard to leave them on the bench.

Barnsley and Burnley are hardly Championship heavyweights either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here