Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should we scrap the offside rule?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know this often comes up when people talk about 'rule changes I'd like to see', but I've never been in favour, no, not even if it meant one less thing for VAR to pass judgement on.

However apparently the Dutch are thinking of trying it in their non-league. As an aside I didn't realise the problem of violence and abuse wasn't just an English problem.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not for me, Clive.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Not in the professional game no. Shouldn’t have to happen in the amateur game either, but if a minority can’t behave and it fixes a problem then I can see why it’s being considered.

SAC

May 21, 2014
No. Players, and fans, have got to realise that the officials are doing the best they can.

We have gone from the refs getting decisions wrong, to VAR getting some decisions wrong, to VAR being too accurate.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
of course not, only thing needs changing is go back to simple offside with no phases, active players crap.

suggest Netherlands have deeper issues around violence if games are abandoned over an offside decision.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, I would like to see what it would look like before I say yes or no. It would be really interesting. Probably sh*te, but ...
You know that kid at school who played "goal hanger" and everyone just tried to lump it to him?*

Well, it'll look like that.

*I appreciate you're Swedish so maybe not!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
of course not, only thing needs changing is go back to simple offside with no phases, active players crap.

suggest Netherlands have deeper issues around violence if games are abandoned over an offside decision.
Agree with you about offside and same for handball too. Handball needs to always be handball, not based on an algorithm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shark Tank No GIF

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah that's my take on it. I was more surprised about the level of violence in the Dutch amateur game tbh. It must be really bad if they're even considering it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You know that kid at school who played "goal hanger" and everyone just tried to lump it to him?*

30 years ago, that is exactly what would have happened.

Now i'm much less sure.

I reckon the game would be more similar to what we see now than most here think. Fair that high lines would be a thing of the past, but I don't see that teams would be stationing 4 x 6 foot blokes on the 6 yard box and putting it in the mixer, that's conceding the midfield.

Got to say i'm not 100% sure what would happen and I reckon different manager's would approach the new rules in very different ways, but I reckon we would still primarily be a passing through the middle / quick break sort of team

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thinking about it, it would be such a mind f*** to play in. I'm 38, am RUBBISH but I all I've known is to 'bend' your run when trying to get in behind the defence. Give the passer the knowing look, run in front of the defence and then feel like you've SLINGSHOT through on goal as the pass is made to try and stay onside but run with momentum.

I genuinely don't know how I'd cope. I guess you just don't care about the timing so much but it would feel DIRTY.

Last edited:

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm

*I appreciate you're Swedish so maybe not!
It would certainly turn tactics as we know it upside down. Hoof ball? How to defend? Go back to some kind of libero? Man - man? Dump and chase a la NHL!? I'd like to see a game anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here