Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we host religious weekends at the Amex ?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Incidentally, Sussex has a broader range of prominent religious groups than most. For some odd reason, East Grinstead seems to feature very highly. A quick google reveals you can find places to worship in the town if you're Church of England, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, United Reformed, Full Gospel, Kingdom Faith or Newfrontiers Evangelical, whatever that might be. Considering it's not that big a place, that's pretty diverse.

Just outside (technically in Surrey, but not by much) is the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka the Mormons (very imposing building if you've ever passed it, especially at night), which is one of- I think- two major Mormon temples in the UK. The church of Scientology also have their UK headquarters in East Grinstead. That place used to be their world HQ once apparently, and I have a feeling Tom Cruise and John Travolta have dropped by before.

And finally, for those of a Da Vinci Code persuasion, both Opus Dei and the Rosicrucians have premises in the town too. Nobody really knows why they all chose boring old EG.

Frankly, it's a surprise we haven't had MORE religious events at the Amex.

You got that right!

3931459061_cf2515d14e.jpg

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
around 9,000 there. Took a few pics and had a pie and spoke with two stewards who caught me trying to slide threw a gap at the south end as wanted to have a walk round.

Thought i was in trouble but we spoke for 40 minutes about their religion, about God, Saton, alcohol, sex and drugs. Asked about me and have I ever thought about talking in deth about it.

Said it was nice talking and shook their hands and made an accuse to leave. Haven't a problem with anyone or religion but its not my thing.

Thanks for that!

I don't envy your job - must be very difficult not to inadvertently offend and also very easy to make assumptions even when it may appear obvious that a certain person is a member of a particular religion. I suspect I would put my foot in it - a Muslim customer in my shop wished me a merry Xmas last year and I automatically replied "and you" :facepalm:
And why not? There must be a lot of people in Brighton who have dealings with Arabic speaking folk who, if you asked, would turn out to be Coptic Christians.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised this thread is so 'popular'.
Surely off loading 'our' stadium to a bunch of fee paying polite well mannered folk, is a no brainer.

There can't be too many NIMBY's left in Falmer, but why alienate those that are, by taking Megadeth's cash over the Jehovah's.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I'm surprised this thread is so 'popular'.
Surely off loading 'our' stadium to a bunch of fee paying polite well mannered folk, is a no brainer.

There can't be too many NIMBY's left in Falmer, but why alienate those that are, by taking Megadeth's cash over the Jehovah's.

Couldn't agree more, Brother, thought it would take everyone's mind off Vicente for the weekend. But whilst on the subject didn't Hank Marvin ( a JW) refuse to give his son a blood transfusion a few years ago........or have I got the wrong end of the stick? If true, couldn't agree to that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't agree more, Brother, thought it would take everyone's mind off Vicente for the weekend. But whilst on the subject didn't Hank Marvin ( a JW) refuse to give his son a blood transfusion a few years ago........or have I got the wrong end of the stick? If true, couldn't agree to that.
Fortunately we don't have to agree with the ideologies of the people that sit in 'our' seat.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There was a similar event held at the Mets baseball stadium in New York recently. 40,000 ultra orthodox jews managed to fill the Stadium – which is more than the Mets fans manage to do these days! The event was to discuss the dangers of the Internet – unfortunately a lot of newspaper photographers managed to snap them checking their smart phones for e mail and voicemail which rather defeated the object. They were also handed flyers for an iPhone app which let them find local kosher restaurants – aint technology wonderful.

Ultra orthodox rally at Citifield

sub-orthodox-1-articleLarge.jpg

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
around 9,000 there. Took a few pics and had a pie and spoke with two stewards who caught me trying to slide threw a gap at the south end as wanted to have a walk round.

Thought i was in trouble but we spoke for 40 minutes about their religion, about God, Saton, alcohol, sex and drugs. Asked about me and have I ever thought about talking in deth about it.

Said it was nice talking and shook their hands and made an accuse to leave. Haven't a problem with anyone or religion but its not my thing.

Was the stoning any good ?, local lad I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here