Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we host religious weekends at the Amex ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
absolutely not....just a non-believer

I don't believe in a lot of things, organised religion being one of them, but I'm not going to get the hump about someone who does attending the Amex. It's not as though they're sacrificing live virgins and burning non believers at the stake.

For what it's worth, I've known a couple of JWs in my lifetime. The first, alright, she was a bit nuts, possibly the product of a rather sheltered upbringing, but a completely lovely person nonetheless, who never once tried to impose any beliefs on me. The second, I wouldn't have had a clue he was a JW until somebody else told me: outwardly he's exactly the same as anyone else I know. He just chooses to spend his weekends in one type of church. I choose to spend mine in another.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All helps balance the books, I wonder if they will complain about queues for beers and pies

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The second, I wouldn't have had a clue he was a JW until somebody else told me: outwardly he's exactly the same as anyone else I know .

Why wouldn't they be? I know a practising JW, Jews, a Catholic and a CoEs and not surprisingly they all look and act like normal people.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why wouldn't they be? I know a practising JW, Jews, a Catholic and a CoEs and not surprisingly they all look and act like normal people.

Which is exactly what I meant?? A few people seem to be making a thing of this conference because it's the Jehovah's Witnesses. As if they're somehow different to other people on the basis of a few specific beliefs.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I'm a lapsed Catholic so don't really care. But if people want to hold these types of events why not? They could hold Catholic confirmation events - that's where, to confirm yourself in the Church, you have to kiss the Bishops Ring. :)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Drove past about lunchtime and the Bottom car park and Baxters field were choc-a-block.............is there a park and ride for it also.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Which is exactly what I meant?? A few people seem to be making a thing of this conference because it's the Jehovah's Witnesses. As if they're somehow different to other people on the basis of a few specific beliefs.

As a complete aside, are there any situations as a PC where you need to know someone's religion prior to assisting them? Just wondering like.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Might be the kick up the arse the ugly old place needs to get redeveloped.

The selffish Albion part of me makes me hope it isn't redeveloped - we don't want the Amex to have a decent competitor now do we ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I believe the BC is getting made over imminently is it not? Haven't bothered with the place for years. Last time I was there a friend who worked there got me and some meates VIP Box tickets for Deep Purple. Legendary band, bring your own cans, no bar queing, free gig, and great view. Didn't think I could top it so other than Gripper Stebsons stag do to Bootleg Beatles I haven't bothered. Absolute hole of a place. Much better at your super soaraway Amex community Megadome.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
there is also an anthroposophical community nearby.

Returning to your earlier point about the Amex taking trade of the Brighton Centre, is it my imagination or has the club developed this aspect of its business to surprisingly substantial levels in a very short space of time? It will be interesting to see the numbers once published in the accounts but there seems to be something on all the time.
?

I was told some time ago that we needed to get every sq ft of the Amex used as much as possible to bring in revenue. All the talk about how much we make on a match day on pies and drink is fantasy

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I said many a prayer in the North Stand last season (most answerd by Mr Buckley) and I hope to see much human sacrifice this season. So yep every day at the Amex is a religious and righteous day.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As a complete aside, are there any situations as a PC where you need to know someone's religion prior to assisting them? Just wondering like.

I wouldn't say you NEED to know anything, most people will accept that all humans have a tendency to make assumptions and mistakes, it's how you respond to it once you know that counts.

I guess you just have to consider everyone you deal with as an individual, and try not to make those assumptions, as religion is something that (a) is very personal to an individual and (b) is not always obvious from a person's appearance. To be honest, I usually find the best approach is to simply to ask, if in any doubt. Few people are offended by that- if anything they probably welcome the fact that you've considered it, rather than just blundering on. Clearly if you're going into some people's houses, there might be religious issues (shoes, for example), others might have an issue dealing with a male (or female) officer. And things like dealing with the family of a fatal accident victim, it's worth having a knowledge, however basic, as to how people of different backgrounds deal with it, then you're in a better position to answer questions. As an example, Islam teaches that a person should be buried within 24 hours of death, but if someone's died in sudden circumstances, a post mortem would be required, which would delay that. So you have to be braced for that kind of issue.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wouldn't say you NEED to know anything, most people will accept that all humans have a tendency to make assumptions and mistakes, it's how you respond to it once you know that counts.

I guess you just have to consider everyone you deal with as an individual, and try not to make those assumptions, as religion is something that (a) is very personal to an individual and (b) is not always obvious from a person's appearance. To be honest, I usually find the best approach is to simply to ask, if in any doubt. Few people are offended by that- if anything they probably welcome the fact that you've considered it, rather than just blundering on. Clearly if you're going into some people's houses, there might be religious issues (shoes, for example), others might have an issue dealing with a male (or female) officer. And things like dealing with the family of a fatal accident victim, it's worth having a knowledge, however basic, as to how people of different backgrounds deal with it, then you're in a better position to answer questions. As an example, Islam teaches that a person should be buried within 24 hours of death, but if someone's died in sudden circumstances, a post mortem would be required, which would delay that. So you have to be braced for that kind of issue.

Thanks for that!

I don't envy your job - must be very difficult not to inadvertently offend and also very easy to make assumptions even when it may appear obvious that a certain person is a member of a particular religion. I suspect I would put my foot in it - a Muslim customer in my shop wished me a merry Xmas last year and I automatically replied "and you" :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here