Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we host religious weekends at the Amex ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am slightly concerned that the original post on here wasn't a joke...

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Religious gatherings? Absolutely. Rather like the idea of a Wiccan Festival meself, Sussex being the last pagan county and all that. Although we may have missed an opportunity with the summer solstice just gone.

Picture this: the sun rising above the East Arch, first rays striking the centre spot altar... mass chanting, robed figures... Christopher Lee...

Ah. Problem: where do you find a virgin - in Brighton of all places?

i like this - and we could burn a massive wicker Vicente in the centre circle!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Do they pay their bills in a timely fashion?

............................ better than hosting Porstmouth FC then :thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, it's not like they're harming anyone, is it? They used to do it at the Brighton Centre (as do various religious groups), but apparently have outgrown it.

I could understand objections if it was some kind of extremist organisation, but really, it's just a group of people with a common belief who want to get together to enjoy/celebrate/discuss that.

Which, frankly, exactly what we all do at the stadium for nine months of the year, is it not?

Incidentally, I can't help wondering what, if any, impact the Amex has had on the Brighton Centre's revenue. Looking at the sort of events the stadium is hosting these days- the Jehovah's Witnesses, wedding fairs, trade exhibitions like the Tool Show (!) and so on, they seem to be exactly the sort of thing that always used to be at the BC, so they must have taken a hit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Why not. It might actually bring some more people to our games. That's a good thing. And the club needs as many revenue streams as possible.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Incidentally, Sussex has a broader range of prominent religious groups than most. For some odd reason, East Grinstead seems to feature very highly. A quick google reveals you can find places to worship in the town if you're Church of England, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, United Reformed, Full Gospel, Kingdom Faith or Newfrontiers Evangelical, whatever that might be. Considering it's not that big a place, that's pretty diverse.

Just outside (technically in Surrey, but not by much) is the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka the Mormons (very imposing building if you've ever passed it, especially at night), which is one of- I think- two major Mormon temples in the UK. The church of Scientology also have their UK headquarters in East Grinstead. That place used to be their world HQ once apparently, and I have a feeling Tom Cruise and John Travolta have dropped by before.

And finally, for those of a Da Vinci Code persuasion, both Opus Dei and the Rosicrucians have premises in the town too. Nobody really knows why they all chose boring old EG.

Frankly, it's a surprise we haven't had MORE religious events at the Amex.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Incidentally, Sussex has a broader range of prominent religious groups than most. For some odd reason, East Grinstead seems to feature very highly. A quick google reveals you can find places to worship in the town if you're Church of England, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, United Reformed, Full Gospel, Kingdom Faith or Newfrontiers Evangelical, whatever that might be. Considering it's not that big a place, that's pretty diverse.

Just outside (technically in Surrey, but not by much) is the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka the Mormons (very imposing building if you've ever passed it, especially at night), which is one of- I think- two major Mormon temples in the UK. The church of Scientology also have their UK headquarters in East Grinstead. That place used to be their world HQ once apparently, and I have a feeling Tom Cruise and John Travolta have dropped by before.

And finally, for those of a Da Vinci Code persuasion, both Opus Dei and the Rosicrucians have premises in the town too. Nobody really knows why they all chose boring old EG.

probably trying to catch up a bit as it was the last county to except christianty

You've forgotten this one ...

Vinesong Our Vision

The vision originally given in 1982 to John Watson, the leader and founder of Vinesong, was for this ministry to extend the length and breadth of the world and through the anointing of the Holy Spirit, to bring healing to the nations. The vision has not changed and remains the same now as it did then.

It is the heart cry of Vinesong, that through the vehicle of Worship and teaching, the encouragement of growth, unity and balance would take place in the lives of believers as necessary preparation for revival. Whilst many enjoy being challenged but not changed, it is Vinesong's desire to see the Father's love extended to all the areas of hurt and pain in the life of the believer.

As people are healed and made whole, they are better equipped to carry out the Great Commission, fuliflling the plan and purpose for their lives and introducing others to their very own.

Matthew 28:18-20

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been gvien to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

UK headquarters ... East Grinstead

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At £40 a ticket they're welcome.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Just outside (technically in Surrey, but not by much) is the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka the Mormons (very imposing building if you've ever passed it, especially at night)
And how they ever got planning permission for that concrete eyesore is even more unbelievable than the story of their founder, the convicted conman Joseph Smith and his amazing disappearing Golden Plates. "No, after I'd transcribed the holy plates behind a big screen, I had to return them all to the mountainside where the angel Mormon gave me them. Now, just form a queue, give me your worldly goods and your place in heaven is guaranteed."

Yes, those Mormons will be more than welcome to part with their hard-earned at the Amex...

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Going to go along today as it's free. Only going to sit and stand and look at the east stand and south/south east corner and see how much is done. Have a couple of beers as well, anyone else going?

Take lots of pics and bung them on here, ta nicely.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

there is also an anthroposophical community nearby.

Returning to your earlier point about the Amex taking trade of the Brighton Centre, is it my imagination or has the club developed this aspect of its business to surprisingly substantial levels in a very short space of time? It will be interesting to see the numbers once published in the accounts but there seems to be something on all the time.
?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
there is also an anthroposophical community nearby.

Returning to your earlier point about the Amex taking trade of the Brighton Centre, is it my imagination or has the club developed this aspect of its business to surprisingly substantial levels in a very short space of time? It will be interesting to see the numbers once published in the accounts but there seems to be something on all the time.
?

But I think it's been coming. The Brighton Centre is so outdated but have essentially taken all the local large scale conferencing trade for years until the Amex arrived (at least you'd think so, there were never many other options in town). I'm sure it's still ticking over- the Lib Dems have their annual conference there in September- cue the usual political security chaos along the sea front- but they must have lost a fair bit of business, surely. Or at least struggled to grow new business.

Might be the kick up the arse the ugly old place needs to get redeveloped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here