Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should sports stay sexist?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Whilst watching the England v Australia netball international on Sunday I asked my netball loving wife what does netball do to attract male spectators seeing that football has to bend over backwards and quite rightly to attract woman to the game? The response was netball is a girls game!. Should this apply to all sports and why does football get a hard time when actually they do lots to encourage all in society?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the answer is "turning up the central heating really high, and bikinis".

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
The point you make is an interesting one, 'sexualization' is something more sociologists are looking at in modern sport. At the end of the day, elite sport is mainly made up of males. Women have a greater participation rate in sport an exercise than males, due to running/zumba/yoga etc etc etc.

Personally women shouldn't need to be encouraged so much. If they don't want to get involved in football, then fine. An interesting case recently was that of the English female footballers believing 16-18k wasn't enough salary a year to represent their country (which gets me, seeing as that's on top of a job and club salary they may earn). The fact is, the FA are subsidising their payment from the men's game, from an economic perspective, is wrong (they managed to hold out for 20k a year to play a sport they enjoy for their country).

'Sport' is socially constructed, not a strictly definable word. There shouldn't be this drive to get more females involved in certain sports, because frankly it's a huge waste. Society isn't just going to change and go 'yes lets go watch womens football half the time and mens the other half, thus the money can be split evenly and more females will play football'.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Whilst watching the England v Australia netball international on Sunday I asked my netball loving wife what does netball do to attract male spectators seeing that football has to bend over backwards and quite rightly to attract woman to the game? The response was netball is a girls game!. Should this apply to all sports and why does football get a hard time when actually they do lots to encourage all in society?

So she says netball is a girls game without bating an eyelid. Just say to her football is not for girls. Take a pause and wait for her rabid response.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
So, who's going to tell Nicola Adams that she shouldn't be a boxer as she's a woman?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it's got to,if the england netball team would be full of geysers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The point you make is an interesting one, 'sexualization' is something more sociologists are looking at in modern sport. At the end of the day, elite sport is mainly made up of males. Women have a greater participation rate in sport an exercise than males, due to running/zumba/yoga etc etc etc.

Personally women shouldn't need to be encouraged so much. If they don't want to get involved in football, then fine. An interesting case recently was that of the English female footballers believing 16-18k wasn't enough salary a year to represent their country (which gets me, seeing as that's on top of a job and club salary they may earn). The fact is, the FA are subsidising their payment from the men's game, from an economic perspective, is wrong (they managed to hold out for 20k a year to play a sport they enjoy for their country).

'Sport' is socially constructed, not a strictly definable word. There shouldn't be this drive to get more females involved in certain sports, because frankly it's a huge waste. Society isn't just going to change and go 'yes lets go watch womens football half the time and mens the other half, thus the money can be split evenly and more females will play football'.
I didn't come here for a lecture on Communism.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Do your studies entail the use of American textbooks?

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Sports don't have to stay sexist, there is a change as the olympics started to show this year but its going to be very very slow. It starts at school (and even nursery)where traditional views are put on children. My daughter (8) is a keen footballer and plays for the boys team (is really good - scored 9 out of the 12-2 win recently), but she has to come up against loads of negativity. Firstly, her teacher, sitting her with girls away from the boys who are her football team friends as otherwise she will "just be with boys", initially one of the coaches at the club, letting her play in the younger team as "it might be nicer for her" (soon saw error of ways when little team poleaxed!), and then as the kids get older, she gets tackled by about 4 players as they "dont want a girl scoring against them"- obviously this is great for her team who are freed up, but a bit depressing for her!. She absolutely loves all sport, swimming, football, athletics to name some favourites, but it does leave her isolated as many parents just aren't interested in encouraging their girls into sport as they do with their boys. In the same way, many parents (and unfortunately schools/teachers) reinforce stereotypes with boys, who wont do certain sports because they are traditionally female. It will change over time, but it will be decades rather than years. And yes, im sure the outfits dont help to invite males/females to their respective games!:wink:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Sports don't have to stay sexist, there is a change as the olympics started to show this year but its going to be very very slow. It starts at school (and even nursery)where traditional views are put on children. My daughter (8) is a keen footballer and plays for the boys team (is really good - scored 9 out of the 12-2 win recently), but she has to come up against loads of negativity. Firstly, her teacher, sitting her with girls away from the boys who are her football team friends as otherwise she will "just be with boys", initially one of the coaches at the club, letting her play in the younger team as "it might be nicer for her" (soon saw error of ways when little team poleaxed!), and then as the kids get older, she gets tackled by about 4 players as they "dont want a girl scoring against them"- obviously this is great for her team who are freed up, but a bit depressing for her!. She absolutely loves all sport, swimming, football, athletics to name some favourites, but it does leave her isolated as many parents just aren't interested in encouraging their girls into sport as they do with their boys. In the same way, many parents (and unfortunately schools/teachers) reinforce stereotypes with boys, who wont do certain sports because they are traditionally female. It will change over time, but it will be decades rather than years. And yes, im sure the outfits dont help to invite males/females to their respective games!:wink:

Have you considered enrolling your daughter in the BHA Centre of Excellence?
Contact Us

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
And what about the equality thing in team sports?
Hockey is probably the exception for mixed teams but why is it okay for Sarah Taylor to play men's cricket "because she's good enough". Yet a man playing in a woman's team is strictly not allowed.

How is this right?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

You are asking the wrong question, you should be asking why are sports separated by gender. Gender equality will not be found by running sports in parallel, we should not have men's football or women's football, just football. If those women who want to be professional footballers are good enough why should they not have the opportunity to play at he highest levels?

In one stroke you resolve all of the concerns about the viability of creating a mainstream for women's sport. It's time to put up or shut up.

I note the US are just about to announce that women will be able to operate in combat roles...........so there you have it. If women can do that on an equal basis then women should be competing in sport equally?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You are asking the wrong question, you should be asking why are sports separated by gender. Gender equality will not be found by running sports in parallel, we should not have men's football or women's football, just football. If those women who want to be professional footballers are good enough why should they not have the opportunity to play at he highest levels?

In one stroke you resolve all of the concerns about the viability of creating a mainstream for women's sport. It's time to put up or shut up.

I note the US are just about to announce that women will be able to operate in combat roles...........so there you have it. If women can do that on an equal basis then women should be competing in sport equally?

The point about the US female combat roles may be a bit misleading. They have had a British female army officer who fears the same thing may happen hear and believes it's for the wrong reasons. That is, they are pacifying a sexual argument rather than considering the the operational requirements. She stated that woman should accept that they are physically not as strong as men. She was refering to the role of the infantry and made reference to the soldiers 'yomping' in the Falklands with massive back packs, something that the women would, in the main, not be capable of.

As for sport, if woman can compete to the same level then I have no problem. If women have the skill and physique to play in the mens game then I have no problem but at the moment, there aren't, as far as I can see, any woman that are near playing in any of the mens professional leagues.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The point about the US female combat roles may be a bit misleading. They have had a British female army officer who fears the same thing may happen hear and believes it's for the wrong reasons. That is, they are pacifying a sexual argument rather than considering the the operational requirements. She stated that woman should accept that they are physically not as strong as men. She was refering to the role of the infantry and made reference to the soldiers 'yomping' in the Falklands with massive back packs, something that the women would, in the main, not be capable of.

As for sport, if woman can compete to the same level then I have no problem. If women have the skill and physique to play in the mens game then I have no problem but at the moment, there aren't, as far as I can see, any woman that are near playing in any of the mens professional leagues.

Why is it misleading though? Are you saying that its tokenism and the US Govt and military are just having a politically correct frolic?

What better example is there for equality.....................finally we have the opportunity for women to be able to fight in the front line, and once they are there isn’t it game over for arguing for any gender segregation in employment? They will have equality in all aspects of pay so they should have equality in the roles.

For sport why is it different? You wouldn’t argue for a female army and male army, its just one fully integrated and equal. Sport already supports gender equality in horse racing and no one bats an eyelid. Abolish all the male and female categories in sport and we can have one inclusive carnival of human endeavour. Who would care if the best player in the world was a woman, the managers wouldn’t neither would the chairmen, and doubtless neither would the fans.

There would be one group of course................the bigots.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't it the case that a lot of these girls playing football in a boys team aged 8-11 are only in the side because that team is struggling for numbers? How many are actually keeping boys of the same age out of the team?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

It's a shame the netball girls don't bend over backwards (or forwards) in them skimpy little skirts to attract men to the game, I'd have a dabble at the viewing at least. It should be a girlies game and they should consider naked netball.

Anyway, put yer knickers on and go and make me a cup of tea!!!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

It was just an observation whilst the cameras zoomed in to a large section of supporters and none were male

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here