Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Scholes start for England?

What should be Scholes' role for England?

• Always start him

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • On the bench

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • In the squad

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • f*** off ginger tosser your crap now

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

Who are you going to play instead of him? Frank Lampard :shootself

I would........PLAY Lampard not shag him before anyone says it :)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think Lampard has been superb this season and has driven his Chelsea team to second in the league. I would start him above Scholes yes, more creative which is what England has been lacking.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Richie Morris said:
I think Lampard has been superb this season and has driven his Chelsea team to second in the league. I would start him above Scholes yes, more creative which is what England has been lacking.

I agree that Lampard has had 2 superb seasons at Chelsea, but everytime I have seen him play for England he looks like he is lacking, much the same as Beattie was. Sometimes players do not look comfortable in the International game. If fit the midfield will be Scholes, Butt, Beckham and Gerrard and on last night I would hope that Hargreaves will be pushing them.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Lampard AND Gerrard

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would argue it is because players like Lampard and Beatie need a few game run in the side to find their feet.

My midfield would be:

Barry Lampard Gerrard Beckham

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
yeeeees ... i'm not really a fan, but he's a quality player with big-match experience, so it should be just a matter of time before he comes good. Keep him in for now, but if he doesn't start performing soon, Lampard or Dyer should come in

Midfield:

Dyer...Gerrard...Scholes...Beckham

(Hargreaves at RB)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
Joe Cole, the nearest thing to Gazza,

I would argue that Rooney is the closest thing to Gazza and if we had any decent strikers I wuld have him in attacking midfield role. He has great vision for a thick scouser and actually takes people on which is something we lack in midfield.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Scholes' goalscoring record over the last 2 years is abysmal, and his performances over the same time have been lacklustre.

I agree that for Man Utd he's class but I'd bench him and see how he reacts.

Joe Cole, Jenas and Dyer have made no progress this season, and I think we're actually lightweight in midfield.

Right now I think the best midfield we could pick is Beckham, Gerrard, Ashley Cole and Lampard.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yoda said:
When was his last decent performance for England, Euro 2000 against Portugal.

Stick him on the bench!

Err against Argentina in Sappora, him and Butt took control of that midfield and it was only a good save from their keeper that stopped him scoring. Hit the bar against Nigeria in the next game and in Istanbul he had another good game, only for his shooting to let him down.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'On the bench' and 'In the Squad' are the same thing these days.

Midfield four of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Dyer.
If it was a midfield three: Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard.

Scholes is over-rated. That's not to say he won't get his form back, but he is having a mediocre season at United, and is on a poor run of form for England. I would argue that his dip in form at United is one of the main reasons for their relative demise this season.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Pavilionaire said:

Right now I think the best midfield we could pick is Beckham, Gerrard, Ashley Cole and Lampard.

God no not Ashley Cole he's shit!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
'On the bench' and 'In the Squad' are the same thing these days.

Midfield four of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Dyer.
If it was a midfield three: Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard.

Scholes is over-rated. That's not to say he won't get his form back, but he is having a mediocre season at United, and is on a poor run of form for England. I would argue that his dip in form at United is one of the main reasons for their relative demise this season.

I think his goalscoring record for the Manc's this season is still decent, if not better than Frank 'the saviour' Lampard.

Yoda

English & European
Uncle Buck said:
Err against Argentina in Sappora, him and Butt took control of that midfield and it was only a good save from their keeper that stopped him scoring. Hit the bar against Nigeria in the next game and in Istanbul he had another good game, only for his shooting to let him down.

Hmm! :glare: OK. Agree with the match in Turkey, but I thought Butt Sinclair and Becks were far better against Argentina, even Sheringham did a better job and Nigeria. The whole team were pants.:jester:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yoda said:
Hmm! :glare: OK. Agree with the match in Turkey, but I thought Butt Sinclair and Becks were far better against Argentina, even Sheringham did a better job and Nigeria. The whole team were pants.:jester:

That night in Sappora the whole midfield was class. The problem was in the last 20 minutes England sat so deep (sound familar) that it was not pretty. I think only in this country do we criticise one of our most talented players as he is having a bit of a drought and call for him to be replaced by a Premiership clogger. I guess the same will be happening regarding Owen as he is not setting the league alight this year, I know lets play Beattie instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here