• dont know

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I eat Babies

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
I hate seeing people taking kids about 4 years old and under to football, there not interested in the game, at oldham on saturday some kid about 2 was just runnig up and down the isle playing with a baloon,

Last season at walsall saw some one with a baby about 3 months old, just think of the loud noise that baby had to put up with.

Take them when they have a grasp of what the game is all about and they can appreciate it.

Little kids no! Saw some parents changing a babies nappy at the car park in Oldham. Why take a child under 1 to a match. I think from 4 years and above. My little brother was mad on football at that age, and could be trusted to watch a match quietly!

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
If you don't take them to the game then they'll grow up on a diet of Premiershite.

Agree that babies and toddlers don't really have a grasp of what's going on but some people take their kids everywhere they go, don't they?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Depends - I love seeing young kids with a passion for football - especially when its handed down from their parents, its cool to introduce your kids to something you love and then finding that they love it too for all the right reasons ... however there is an age when they are too young to sit still for 90+ minutes without needing a wee, ice cream, crying for Mum or getting cold because their errant father has forgotten their Brighton fleece......wait til they can sit still for that long before you take them - which means for some kids - never!! :lol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
my daughter is six and a half and desperate to go....so, I've made the promise that she'll see her first albion game this year

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
sit still , be quiet ? - this is a football match jump up and down and be as loud as hell!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If the kids are genuinely interested then fine.

If they're not then they are taking the seat of someone who is interested, plus the club is getting less money as a consesion (sp?) costs less than a normal ticket, and no doubt the parent will complain after you shout abuse at the ref/palace player/lino etc.

larus

My son is 9 and we both became season ticket holders last year (which we have renewed even though we went down). In the past I just haven't been able to commit to every week as I was playing myself still (now only Sundays)

My son used to support Liverpool, then hovered between Arsenal/Man U, but now he's a Brighton fan - he's seen the light. (It's amazing what thumbscrews can achieve).

I don't mind seeing young children there; the sooner they start and can get involved, the more likely it is that they will become true fans, rather than glory seekers.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would tend to say yes but not if the child is under say, eight years old. They tend to get bored and they aren't big enough to see that well either.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Great stuff, Hamilton - 'tall oaks from little acorns grow' and all that.

Have you got an idea as to which one to take her to? End of season promotion party at Withdean maybe?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I went to my first match around 9 but it was standing then so I wouldn't have been able to see at an earlier age.

If the child is genuinely interested then take them at an earlier age.

Having said that I know someone who took a toddler to Oldham on Saturday.

It was the only way he could go, living in Manchester and his wife had had their second son on Thursday.

Jul 21, 2003
couldnt agree more its crazy madness of parents to take a kid so young to a game its not safe regardless of the violent side of things its stupid having a baby at a game, ive seen sum in those baby slingthings at Withdean do they actually pay for the kiddie? even if they dont it shouldnt be allowed i say minimum age of at least 5 before allowed in a football ground just isnt safe. ok if u r a keen fan and a little pops along all i can say is take the rubbers around with you next time as its utter madness and quite unsafe having these youngsters in the ground. On a safety issue im surprised and in fact asstonished that they are allowed in. Whatever next we'll have baby food stalls next to the burger vans! Suerly for evacuation purposes these pushchairs shouldne be allowed after all we carefully control numbers on wheelchair users and they have proper entrance/exit and are supervised coz in any necessary evacuation they obviusly need a helping hand so its madness that anyone with a kiddie that yound and in pushchairs is allowed in i say keep them out for THEIR safety and ours! never mind whether they actually enjoy being there which i doubt its selfish of the adult taking them and must be stopped!

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've told my daughters 5 and 7 that they can't come with Mummy, they have to stay at home, maybe when they're older etc etc.

Consequently they're desperate to go - so I'm expecting that I'll need three season tickets when we get Falmer. Result.

I think the babies and toddlers end up going cos Mum and Dad are both fans and no-one is volunteering to stay at home and mind the baby. Have kids with an understanding non-footie fan is my advice.

Agree with FG re pushchairs - but I've personally never seen one at a match.

Minghawk

Jul 5, 2003
my first albion game was when I was about 12. standing in the east terrace at the goldstone - was s**t scared when the crowd surged forward - excellent.

I'm planning on taking Minghawk junior when he's about 8, but don't relish the prospect of exposing him to all that bad language - do you ignore it and hope it doesn't sink in, or explain that it's not to be copied?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Interesting

I have 4 children, aged 14, 11, 2 and 1.

The 14 year old (boy) and 11 year old (girl) love coming to football (especially my daughter) and genuinely enjoy the experience.

The 2 year old 'saw' his first game aged 6 weeks (v Hull City in March 2001) and slept through the whole game, apart from having a complete seizure when the goals went in. By the way FG, he came in a sling, we didn't pay for his ticket and the stewards seemed to be OK with it.

We did this mainly for the fact that in a few years time when the annual 'How old were you when you saw your first Albion game' thread starts, he will be able to say with pride that he was 6 weeks.

Putting this aside, it is complete madness to take small children to football until they can be guaranteed to sit still and hold their bladders for 2 hours and I wouldn't consider taking him again for a good few years.

So .............. I see both sides of the argument but on balance, don't take them

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Minghawk said:
do you ignore it and hope it doesn't sink in, or explain that it's not to be copied?

yes an interesting dilema there - it is part and parcel of the game for some spectators including the wanking hand gestures and the near racist songs and chants......I think you need to head down the "not to be copied" route... kids pick up everything as you probably already know - so ignoring it is probably not the best way if you feel this language is inappropriate for your tin lids - which I would for mine if I had any....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Surely the not to be copied talks had already been done considering what most kids hear in the playground.

It's just that in a football crowd there are more of them and bigger kids (ducks now)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here