Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Gus ease his anti-loan stance?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a big question for him, as that window is open now until late November.

Gus doesn't like loans, and I know where he is coming from. He believes that those players aren't fully integrated, missed pre-season, might not be as committed, and prevent long-term-planning even if they do well as they're off back to parent clubs in many cases. You have had Championship teams in recent years that have used it to the max, and featured a United Nations hotch-potch of loan singings, it doesn't feel right.

But. There may be a situation (perhaps our situation) where the team's efforts are being undermined by an understandable lack of Championship quality in certain key areas. The loan market provides an opportunity to address that. Gus feels differently about the squad now than he did in August, he has effectively said as much and seen weaknesses. Would a couple of defenders harm our chances?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think he's made it clear that he's going to do something ... reckon we'll have a new face or maybe 2 before Hull

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would sooner he looked at the more experienced players that do not have a club and perhaps signa couple of those on short term contracts. They are about Marcus Hahneman has just signed for Everton. Has Carlo Nash signed a new contract at Stoke that is just GKs, which most people seem concerned about.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But he isn't actually against loans full stop, is he? He is against short term loans. So softening his position would just open us up to signing a player for one month. What use it that?

Will our problems be solved with short term loans? Get a player in for a month, then what happens when we hit november? We're right back where we are.

Gus has shown with Arismendi (was that gus?), Barnes, Lualua, Wood, Bridcutt, Navarro, that he isn't opposed to longer term loans and short-term contracts. Which is what we would be hoping to get; either loans to cover us until the transfer window opens and we can buy what we need, or short term contracts with players who might want to spend time with us before they commit to us, or we commit to them long term.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Think he's going to have to Tooting. And judging by his comments after Ipswich, he's going to do it. We cannot carry on conceding 3 goals per game. We need more aggression and energy in midfield (an Andrew Crofts type), a quick defender who can get up and down and a different sort of striker.. big, pacey and powerful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The back page of the Argus today says that Poyet is considering strengthening his squad in the loan market and looking for a midfield destroyer.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Generally not in favour of loans myself.......for all the usual reasons,but if we get some in I hope they are the kind of players we may wish to sign permanently if all goes well.Otherwise what is the point, unless the team is in imminent danger of relegation,which we are not!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Chris Wood was on loan

End of argument really just because he doesnt like them doesnt mean he wont do it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He does not like one month loans because it takes time for players to acclimatise to our tippa tappa style. He would take someone on for a longer period without hesitation.

---
I am here: Google Maps

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Loans to bolster the side until January with a view to converting to buys in January. That way you get the best of both worlds.

No more forwards please, defence and midfield need strengthening as a priority, in that order.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Not sure that he will go into the loan market just yet. Wasn't this just a manager doign his job? First he said to the squad that they had to improve - didn't work. Then told the squad that they had to improve or they wouldn't be in the squad - still no reaction. So now he ups the anti and challenges them again by suggesting that they may not be good enough and he is considering buying new players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
i would like to see us get almunia from arsenal once his 1 month loan deal at west ham has finished

Fair enough, not sure what bringing in a crap goalkeeper will do for the team though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The back page of the Argus today says that Poyet is considering strengthening his squad in the loan market and looking for a midfield destroyer.

Unfortunately Nobby Horton hung up his boots some years ago.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Loans to buy in January maybe ? I'd be surprised if there isn't at least 2 new singings before the next match

Ernest I agree with you on that but there is also the possibility of free agents.

It is good that GP has given various players the opportunity but obviously now he is fully cognisant of their shortcomings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here