Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Falmer residents been allowed to vote?

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
Non Brighton & Hove residents shouldn't be able to vote on issues that only concern Brighton & Hove residents. 100 NIMBY's aren't going to dramatically affect the vote anyway are they?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
They come under Lewes.

Brighton residents cannot vote in Lewes issues so why should Lewes council residents be allowed to vote in a Brighton issue?

Only 600 yards is still a boundary.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't be silly...what makes them think that they're entitled to try and influence a decision in another town/city?

Why would their not being included in the Brighton referendum affect us? ???

On paper then definitely no, they weren't entitled to vote. However, given the highly contentious nature of the issue Brighton & Hove Council could have included them.

Either way, it wouldn't have made any difference to the result so the villagers using that as an argument is yet another example of straw-grabbing on their part.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
of course they can vote, let them vote twice if they feel better, just use a George Bush style of counting :lolol:

ie weed theirs out and accidentally count them into a small fire

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Safeway said:
On paper then definitely no, they weren't entitled to vote. However, given the highly contentious nature of the issue Brighton & Hove Council could have included them.

Either way, it wouldn't have made any difference to the result so the villagers using that as an argument is yet another example of straw-grabbing on their part.

Agree about it not affecting the result. They should have had a vote as whatever we all say about Falmer being the best site it will be built near to the village - even though I support the stadium, we live in a democracy and that should have included Falmer residents.

Giving them a vote would have also been a "win-win" factor for the stadium - it would have removed one of their main whinges and would not have affected the outcome of the referendum.

However, the main problem I guess with this would have been getting lewes district council on board about a referendum (they would have had to administer it in Falmer)

But its all a bit late to argue about this now....

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
No they most definitely shouldn't have been allowed to vote.
Boundaries have been established for democratic purposes and cannot be changed for a few Nimbys.
As far as Lewes District Council are concerned did they ever ask Brighton & Hove residents to approve that ghastly County Hall that sits on the top of the hill, has ruined the view of Lewes from the A27 and can be seen dominating half of East Sussex.
They then have the nerve to challenge our city regarding the stadium.
Bah Humbug!!!:angry:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If they were allowed to vote then so should have all of Sussex. I don't think the outcome would have been much different anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMO they should not have been allowed to vote due to their position but as the stadium affected them greatly I feel that it was a good ploy to allow them a vote to thus stop further reprecussions at a later date with them saying that it affected them but they were denied the chance to vote.

i think they shoud just f*** off - its nothing to do with them.

they are not in brighton & hove

they do not vote for councillors in brighton & hove so they can have no interest in the matters that affect the city.

they do not pay council tax to brighton and hove

you might as well have asked people in crawley to vote.

and if they had been allowed it would have been declared an illegal vote as they were voting on an issue that was not within their council's (Lewes DC) boundary. And that's not allowed.

westdeneite said:
As far as Lewes District Council are concerned did they ever ask Brighton & Hove residents to approve that ghastly County Hall that sits on the top of the hill, has ruined the view of Lewes from the A27 and can be seen dominating half of East Sussex.
They then have the nerve to challenge our city regarding the stadium.
Bah Humbug!!!:angry:
Be as rude as you like about Lewes District Council, but don't blame them for County Hall. They didn't exist when it was built.

The planning authority that approved the appalling erection was East Sussex County Council. As far as I recall, the former Lewes Borough Council (which covered only Lewes town in those days) didn't like it.

In the sixties, Falmer was ruled by Chailey Rural District Council, and Brighton was governed by the Brighton County Borough Council.

Neither Chailey RDC nor Brighton County Borough had any say in the affairs of Lewes.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Storer68 said:
i think they shoud just f*** off - its nothing to do with them.

Like it :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here