Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shingles - how young can you get it?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I always thought that it was exclusively an old mans thing. You get chicken pox as a kid, then it sits there dormant for decades until it strikes you as an old'un.

Seemingly, that's not always the case. The nasty little rash my son went to the doctors with this morning has been diagnosed as shingles ... in a 9 year old! Is that exceptional, or can some of you beat it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
when \i got it many years ago, it was explained as German Measels on a nerve line, that is why it hurts so bloody much. the problem is where the rash is , you cannot touch it or it hurts like hell, so sleeping and wearing anything that touches it is agony. I got it in my back. there is an urban myth somewhere about that states if it goes all the way around the body and "meets" the other side it can be extremely serious so its best to keep an eye on it.

If your son is only 9 and has got it, I feel really sorry for the poor lad ( its not contagious I was told)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If your son is only 9 and has got it, I feel really sorry for the poor lad ( its not contagious I was told)

Credit to the boy he really hasn't moaned much about it at all, other than when it's been touched (and then he's yelped a bit). Doctor has said it's not contagious, and he's ok to go to school .... but I thought you could catch chicken pox from it. I guess that must be an urban myth.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Funny my 14 yr old has it as well. Dr told me that you had to have had Chick Pox to get it, everyone who's had Chick Pox carries it, and 1 in 4 will get it eventually. It is usually triggered by 'stress' or 'emotional shock'! My son is having to choose his options at the moment but i think more likely its girl related with him!

also you can't catch shingles from someone as you already have it if you've had chick pox, but you can catch chick pox from someone with shingles - hope that makes sense!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There are so many urban myths about mate.

seriously think of getting him some very baggy clothes for a while...tight ones around the area will be very uncomfortable for him.

Poor thing. I hope he gets over it quickly.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Credit to the boy he really hasn't moaned much about it at all, other than when it's been touched (and then he's yelped a bit). Doctor has said it's not contagious, and he's ok to go to school .... but I thought you could catch chicken pox from it. I guess that must be an urban myth.

you can catch chicken pox from it and my son was 'banned' from school for 5 days. He only has the rash on his lower back and one hip.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
You can get Shingles at any age but it is normally more serious when you are older. I've had it twice but I couldn't understand what the fuss was about when I had it the first time at about age 10. I had some time off school but I felt fine. Still got the scar on my back though.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I got it in my teens, a rather nasty rash which then hurt like hell after a few days. This coupled with feeling like I had drunk a gallon of spar super strong cider meant I found it all rather annoying.

Urban myth number 1 destroyed. I was told it would make it infertile. Nope to that one.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had it when I was 22, it was a bit irritating but nothing too bad. I was also told it is worse in old people, my granny said she felt like she was going to die when she had it few years ago.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I had it a few years back and bloody unpleasant it was too. You have to have had Chicken Pox first as Shingles is a product of the Chicken Pox virus. You cannot catch Shingles. There's no age limit on it. You can contract Chicken Pox if you haven't had it previously from somebody who has Shingles however.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
My little girl had shingles when she was three (does that make her the winner?!). Looked really nasty, but she didnt suffer too much with it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Poor little fella, hope he's over it soon mate.

How long does this sort of thing usually take to clear up ?

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
My little girl had shingles when she was three (does that make her the winner?!). Looked really nasty, but she didnt suffer too much with it.

I thought I might win this one as I had it when I was 6 - Damn you chimneys.

Didn't find it too bad from memory, although I had to be bribed with the promise of chocolate every time the rash was due to be painted(?) with the medication as it made it sting like hell.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Poor little fella, hope he's over it soon mate.

How long does this sort of thing usually take to clear up ?

Cheers mate. Not sure how long he'll have it, but it first came up Wednesday night, but the area was really small at first. About 3 times the size by the weekend, and he went to the Dr this morning. I know he's been given tables, at a rate of 4 a day, but don't know how many have been prescribed. Will know more when I get home.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheers mate. Not sure how long he'll have it, but it first came up Wednesday night, but the area was really small at first. About 3 times the size by the weekend, and he went to the Dr this morning. I know he's been given tables, at a rate of 4 a day, but don't know how many have been prescribed. Will know more when I get home.

Are the tables helping then ? 4 a day, must be getting a bit cluttered at your place by now.

Our dining room one takes up loads of space, I've been thinking of getting a smaller one.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yes I remember the "paint" stuff

eeeeek

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here