Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sharm El Sheikh ..anyone been?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Thinking about taking a break and wondered what Sharm El Sheikh was like. Anyone been? If so, would you recommend it?
I basically want to chill out by a pool during the day, read a few books, have good food and go somewhere where there would be some nightlife.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Went about 7 years ago and it was nice with fairly goodnightlife, got mates who work there diving though and they said the standard of visitor has dropped alot though since it became much cheaper to go there.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We went at the end of February - as a family - specifically for a diving / snorkelling holiday.

It was fantastic - the diving was brilliant - restaurants and service were great - sports bar in our hotel (Camel Dive, Naama Bay) with live footie and rugby - and cocktail bar on the roof.

Not really into 'nightlife' but there were a couple of big clubs, and lots of bars with music etc... the main club seemed to be PACHA which was very busy after midnight.

Best excursion, other than diving, was a quad-biking trip into the desert.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Titanic is spot on.
We went for exactly the same reason as yourself, staying @ The Hilton, on a good deal.
The hotel was fantastic, (although somewhat soulless), the snorkelling on the hotels reef was unbelievable. Just a short walk on a pontoon then dive in to see a 30-50 foot drop of coral.

Naama Bay is a new resort friendly enough.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Been there twice in the last two years. Was there in the bombing actually (and the one in Dahab)

Like it, some good snorkelling/diving. some great reefs round Tiran Island and cheapish

Good bars/night life. V Hot, was pushing 50 degrees c when I was last there in late June

Dahab is a nice break from Sharm, about 60km away

yes I would recommend it definately, probably going back this year. Not sure if it would be my first choice if not snorkelling/diving

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Titanic said:
It was fantastic - the diving was brilliant - restaurants and service were great - sports bar in our hotel (Camel Dive, Naama Bay) with live footie and rugby - and cocktail bar on the roof.
and monkey nuts every where

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
maffew said:
Been there twice in the last two years. Was there in the bombing actually (and the one in Dahab)

Like it, some good snorkelling/diving. some great reefs round Tiran Island and cheapish

Good bars/night life. V Hot, was pushing 50 degrees c when I was last there in late June

Dahab is a nice break from Sharm, about 60km away

yes I would recommend it definately, probably going back this year. Not sure if it would be my first choice if not snorkelling/diving

Dahab better than Sharm El Sheikh?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
pardon my ignorance but where is Sharm El Skeikh?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Rookie said:
pardon my ignorance but where is Sharm El Skeikh?

Egypt - on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsular - the Red Sea coast.

sinai-peninsula-map.jpg

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
ta, in that case no i've never been!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Going there on Thursday (Hilton Fayrouz), then up to Nuweiba (Hilton Coral).

Staying in Naama Bay is probably your best bet for the nightlife, although quite a few of the hotels further away have free shuttle buses to and from there.

Stat Bro, which Hilton?

Edit: Just thought, if you do decide to go George, take a peek over HERE for any info on hotels etc.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry Everest, after asking Wifey turns out we were at the Sheraton, with the President of Egypt.

And I don't care who he is, my beach towel was there first.

:D

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Sneaky George said:
Dahab better than Sharm El Sheikh?

depends what you're after really. Lovely place is Dahab, not much in the way of nightlife, just totally chilled, loads of bar/restaurants along the sea where you can read/snorkel/swim/eat/smoke/have some banter with the locals.

Went for 3 weeks last year and based ourself in Dahab with a week in Sharm

really worth a visit though not much to do!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
also the cost is far cheaper than Sharm you can get a bottle of (Egyptian) Stella for about 50p - £1 compared to approx £3 in Sharm. If you want some night life then stay near Naama Bay, Sharm though go to Dahab for a couple of days if you can and you can do an overnight to Sinia (burning bush)/St Katherines monastery

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
sunshine said:
I was thinking about going there for New Year. Did anyone go to the pyramids?

I really abused a woman & work for going to Egypt & NOT seeing the pyramids, so naturally when we went 6 months later we also didn't go, I got it all back in spades.
But from memory it's a long old journey esp if your on a chill-out holiday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here