Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane MacGowan on 'The Frank Skinner Show'

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
...what a legend... :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Couldn't believe it, that weird laugh was well scary though.
Fair play to him, if anyone can drink as much as he has and it still going then fair play.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Why does someone become a legend by drinking too much and missing moset of their life in an alcoholic haze? A touch of the George Bests here I think. These guys needs some serious help but we shouldn't be applauding them for their stamina:nono:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He doesn't look that good sober

39.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
oldham gull said:
Why does someone become a legend by drinking too much and missing moset of their life in an alcoholic haze? A touch of the George Bests here I think. These guys needs some serious help but we shouldn't be applauding them for their stamina:nono:

Some people are different.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Some people are different.

What does that mean? Are you saying that HE is different in that he needs to drink more than anyone else? Or are you saying that YOU are different in that you feel the need to applaud a self destructive lifestlye?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Legend! I applaud his stamina - quality. Lets start slagging off Peter Cook next as he had a beer or 3.
Live and let live.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
n1 gull said:
Legend! I applaud his stamina - quality. Lets start slagging off Peter Cook next as he had a beer or 3.
Live and let live.

I am not slagging him off. I happen to like his music. What I am asking is whether it is healthy to applaud someone who wastes themselves in weakness and addiction to substances or alcohol?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
oldham gull said:
What does that mean? Are you saying that HE is different in that he needs to drink more than anyone else? Or are you saying that YOU are different in that you feel the need to applaud a self destructive lifestlye?

No, I'm just saying that he seems to have chosen that lifestyle for himself. The interview last night kind of showed that. He knows he's a heavy drinker and he knows it's cost him and he seems to know that people expect it of him which makes him what he is (always pissed). Just because he's out of it a lot of the time does not mean he's stupid.

And I'm not applauding it, he looked like a wreck, anyone that wants to end up constantly jittery and unable to talk properly needs their head checking, if anything I'm applauding the fact that he's still alive.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Uncle Buck said:
It is his choice just let him get on with it.

You can't live like that in society. You can't just let people destory themselves because they choose to. That kind of individualistic 'live and let live' is actually the highest form of selfishness.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
No, I'm just saying that he seems to have chosen that lifestyle for himself. The interview last night kind of showed that. He knows he's a heavy drinker and he knows it's cost him and he seems to know that people expect it of him which makes him what he is (always pissed). Just because he's out of it a lot of the time does not mean he's stupid.

And I'm not applauding it, he looked like a wreck, anyone that wants to end up constantly jittery and unable to talk properly needs their head checking, if anything I'm applauding the fact that he's still alive.

OK. But he still needs help.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
oldham gull said:
You can't live like that in society. You can't just let people destory themselves because they choose to. That kind of individualistic 'live and let live' is actually the highest form of selfishness.

OK, so you are proposing a nanny state?

I think after all these years, it is clear that he is not going to listen to anyone, so let him get his annual royalties from the 'Fairytale of New York' and do what he wants with them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
oldham gull said:

And what harm is he doing? He's living in Tipperary somewhere somewhere and is gonna go back on tour with The Pogues and is thinking about making another studio album, what harm is he doing, exactly?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think you can say live and let live. He's not sponging off the state, so its none of our business. If he fancies going down the boozer, that is his choice.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
No I'm not proposing a nanny state. You & I are responsible for our own decisions in life. What I am saying is that we cannot expect a society where we are just concerned with ourselves & let others do whatever they want to be healthy. There has got to be a better way of living than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here