Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexist Pig

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's not a stunning (professionally taken) picture. You can clearly see that it's a badly cut out head that has been pasted on a non complimentary blue background.

I spent more time and effort on my NSC avatar.

..and may I compliment you on your stunning avatar. Please note though, that I do not find the subject attractive and would not care for anyone to think otherwise.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you need to look at the bigger picture here. On the face of it, it might look like a pretty innocuous and harmless comment, but the language used isn't the problem.

It's the underlying assumption that her value is only associated with her appearance and not her skills and experience. That assumption about women is deeply ingrained in the psyche of both men and women and it happens at every level of society - remember the despicable comments John Inverdale made about Marion Bartoli after she'd just won Wimbledon? It's basically that mindset, in varying levels of serverity.

Until it's gone, women will never be truly equal. That is very harmful to women and society as a whole.

I'm not saying this is my personal view but it is just as easy to make the counter-argument that by seriously over-reacting and making a private matter instantly public without the guy knowing what was about to happen that she has done a big disservice to women. Those men that feel women should not be equal in the workplace because - in their opinion - they're all a bunch of nutters will feel their views vindicated by her behaviour.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
She should just change her profile picture to Hagrid's ball sack to avoid any future messages with the same content.

*places tongue very firmly in cheek*

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As an aside, LinkedIn went downhill once Recruitment Consultants started monopolising it to spam members with job vacancies.

Which reminds me, I'll have to clean out all the recruitment consultant connections I've received ( except the fit ones of course... d'oh .... :lolol: *clearly a joke* ).

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's not a stunning (professionally taken) picture. You can clearly see that it's a badly cut out head that has been pasted on a non complimentary blue background.

I spent more time and effort on my NSC avatar.

and very stunning it is
has anyone actually given a thought that if she was good at her job she would not have to put a photo of herself on the site

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree. I was reading through it thinking, "well yes it could be construed as sexist, but in reality no worse than women get every day, is it really worth all this fuss", until I saw the comment "Most people post pretty unprofessional pictures on LinkedIn, my comment was aimed at the professional quality of the presentation on LinkedIn which was unfortunately misinterpreted."

He later explained that his follow-up email "Threesome?" referred to a proposed meeting with her and his Head of Recruitment.

Last edited:

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
As for her career prospects, what employer would want to hire this woman? She sounds like a complete nutcase with poor judgement

On the contrary, the very public show of martyrdom will bring her a wealth of attention and contacts in the professional world, she'd be a dream ticket for any company wishing to boost their profile with a spot of equally public "white knighting".

Not that I agree with the original bloke's comments, bit letchy if innocuous enough. Any need for highlighting the age difference? Plenty of age gap relationships around, think she's just wantedf to show him up a bit there. I think a strongly worded reply along the lines of "not acceptable" and a block would suffice rather than running to the press.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As an aside, LinkedIn went downhill once Recruitment Consultants started monopolising it to spam members with job vacancies.

Absolutely this, although it's now even worse in that loads of big firms employ teams of people in 'Resource Solutions' (oh do f*** off) specifically to spend all day trawling linkedin for potential hires, because it's cheaper than paying 20-25% to the vultures.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The people that speak up for themselves are rarely popular. But f me, there are some depressing attitudes on this thread:
She was probably dressing sexy, she was asking for it.
Why else would women make an effort In a Job interview if not to attract the man interviewing her.
I bet she's got no morals
Bloody barristers
What's she doing putting a picture up of herself anyway?
She's got no problems silly mare
She'll just have to put up with it
Why would you embarrass the poor guy by making it public?

I mean BLOODY HELL. These things have been said here in all seriousness!!!
It's truly, truly depressing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The people that speak up for themselves are rarely popular. But f me, there are some depressing attitudes on this thread:
She was probably dressing sexy, she was asking for it.
Why else would women make an effort In a Job interview if not to attract the man interviewing her.
I bet she's got no morals
Bloody barristers
What's she doing putting a picture up of herself anyway?
She's got no problems silly mare
She'll just have to put up with it
Why would you embarrass the poor guy by making it public?

I mean BLOODY HELL. These things have been said here in all seriousness!!!
It's truly, truly depressing.

i still would though...???

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I think she's rather plain not in the slightest bit stunning. She was probably suffering from PMT at the time she received the email.
As Manuel would put it, " You are hideous Orangutan"

Last edited:

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
What do mean do people still think this way? It's the female interviewees that choose to wear the low cut tops, in full knowledge that they're being interviewed by a man. Why else would they do it other than to differentiate themselves from the male candidates

And I'm not old.

Because unfortunately in our current sexist society women are judged on looks, they'd be hamstringing themselves if they didn't do everything they could to impress. See the circle here?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
She's put a picture of her looking her best on the site. And somehow it's her fault she attracts unwanted, sexist attention. That argument treads very close to a line.

How old are you nibble?

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
What a pathetic world we live in, calling someone's picture stunning creates this furore meanwhile we have people dying all over the world because they don't even have clean water to drink, real first world problem is this one. Hideous attention seeking creature this woman is.

Literally laughing at some of the posts on here, insulting his wife by calling another woman stunning. :lolol: Guess every married man on the planet has essentially done the same then in finding any other woman attractive.

It's all about the context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here