Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seven in ten MPs on £65k believe they are underpaid

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Thought they earned more than £86k through their 2nd, 3rd and 4th "jobs" .... £65K for a part time role is pretty fair + they get a subsidised bar and food + + + + etc......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This seems more of a Daily Mail story than a Telegraph one.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I would agree £65k is underpaid, the your average qualified, accountant lawyer etc would easily exceed that. If you wanna earn serious money you don't become an MP..

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Their attitude fits nicely into Society today - couldn't believe the number of people on £50,000+ p.a. complaining that their child benefit was going to be cut !

If you can't cope on a grand a week then you need to sort your finances out.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You can make a case (and for the sake of argument I will) that all politicians pay should be quadrupled. 65k isn't that much and if the (legitimate) rewards were better we would get a higher calibre of person wanting to go into politics and thus we'd get more able/talented MPs, ministers, Chancellors PMs etc. Plus there wouldn't be the need for dodgy second jobs. Also you can make a case that political parties should be publically-funded to remove the risk of dodgy donors from having any say in policy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Their attitude fits nicely into Society today - couldn't believe the number of people on £50,000+ p.a. complaining that their child benefit was going to be cut !

If you can't cope on a grand a week then you need to sort your finances out.

If you live in the south of England, have 2 kids, mortgage and you are the only earner £50k isn't that much

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
£65k is more than enough for what an MP does. They're not living in the real world. Anything over £50k is far too much for them in my opinion, but admittedly I haven't really done the necessary research. Their arrogance and inflated sense of self worth is amusing though.

This seems more of a Daily Mail story than a Telegraph one.

Happy Birthday!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you live in the south of England, have 2 kids, mortgage and you are the only earner £50k isn't that much

If you cant live on 50K then you are too incompetant to have kids.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you cant live on 50K then you are too incompetant to have kids.
I suspect you could replace 50k with whatever figure amounts to 5k less than what you're earning and your statement would still be about as valid.

The fact is, £50k is not a massive amount of money if you are a single wage earner for a family of 5 and are paying a mortgage of, say, £1,500.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
consider that a significant number of MP's have been proven to be financially and/or fiscally dishonest
consider that a significant number of MP's have lucrative additional income sources
consider that a significant number of MP"s attend parliament and/or their constituency on what many might consider to be a part time basis
consider that Mp's who have served as little as one term of office will recieve a pension considerably superior to that of the great majority of their constituents
consider that many MP's will retire from parliament to very lucrative employment linked to their having served as a member of the legislature
vonsider that many MP's will recieve lucrative speaking and book deals either whilst still members or post retirement
consider that many MP's recieve sums in excess of their actual expenditure on secretarial services and office costs
consider that many MP's in extremely minor/nominal posts in the whips office or as junior aides let alone mebers of the cavinet earn considerably in exxess of the "minimum" £65K................

Poorly paid/underpaid?
Not by my account

Last edited:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I suspect you could replace 50k with whatever figure amounts to 5k less than what you're earning and your statement would still be about as valid.

The fact is, £50k is not a massive amount of money if you are a single wage earner for a family of 5 and are paying a mortgage of, say, £1,500.

Everyone needs to look at their own situation before having kids / mortgage. People have built state handouts into their calculations on the basis that they will always have them. I guarantee you that the people who are currently complaining about possible child benefit cuts (who are on £50k p.a.) never consider cutting back on holidays, cars, technology, etc. They will see the reduction purely as a slice out of their earnings and therefore something they can't cope with.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Everyone needs to look at their own situation before having kids / mortgage. People have built state handouts into their calculations on the basis that they will always have them. I guarantee you that the people who are currently complaining about possible child benefit cuts (who are on £50k p.a.) never consider cutting back on holidays, cars, technology, etc. They will see the reduction purely as a slice out of their earnings and therefore something they can't cope with.

This

50k is a massive amount! f***ing hell, I was on 25k with a newborn in a flat , and we struggled, but survived, live within your means, strap it up before you slap it up!
Cut back on your all inclusive holidays, iPhone 5's and shit!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Exactly, if you cant afford to live with kids and a mortgage then dont do it.

Dont expect a hand out from other tax payers.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The average level suggested for the salary was £86,250

And more than a third of MPS believe they should keep generous final salary pensions.

we're all in it together :wanker:

Seven in ten MPs on £65k believe they are underpaid - Telegraph

Definitely underpaid. These are the people with the responsibility for running the country. If we (the tax payer) paid proper wages we just might attract people of the calibre fit to do the job. We would all be benefit from that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here