Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Set pieces

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Does anyone else feel we should be doing more with them?

I'm not convinced with Noone taking corners, they seem to be harmless most of the time. Tonight quite a few just flew miles over everyone leaving Kazenga to chase it before it went off for a throw!

Also on the subject of set pieces, why did the players not let Vicente take his free kick, I was hoping he'd open his Albion account with a scorcher and then he seemed to get told to step away - wasted opportunity if you ask me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought Noone took a few very good corners actually, first half especially. A couple weren't great, and he's clearly no expert, but they weren't all bad. I just think there was a lack of understanding about where they were going to. Or maybe they weren't quite as accurate as was intended...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We were great with our short corners last season. Not sure what's happened.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Harley was brought in for dead balls but he seems to be out of favour post Leicester.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Harley was brought in for dead balls but he seems to be out of favour post Leicester.
Indeed. Bit of a dilemma if he can't get in the side.

The standard of our set-pieces/corners has certainly dropped since last season (bar the clever corner routine vs Blackpool), dunno whether we're missing Bennett's delivery, or whether the defenders at this level are more wise to it, but I'm sure Gus will have them working harder on 'em in training.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Bennett's deliveries were so good because he whipped them in hard and flat. I don't like the chippy swirly ones we are doing at the moment, much easier to defend against and harder to get power on a header from.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i hope Vincete was going to send that free kick staight into the top corner, and was slightly disappointed when he walked away, our short corners were shit again last night, have been for years

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought Noone took a few very good corners actually, first half especially. A couple weren't great, and he's clearly no expert, but they weren't all bad. I just think there was a lack of understanding about where they were going to. Or maybe they weren't quite as accurate as was intended...

He only played the first half :lolol:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We don't seem to use the players you would expect to take them. Take Wednesday's game free kick on the edge of the area and navarro strikes it!! Vicente when on the pitch and if not people who can strike the ball like lua lua or Buckley

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
We don't seem to use the players you would expect to take them. Take Wednesday's game free kick on the edge of the area and navarro strikes it!! Vicente when on the pitch and if not people who can strike the ball like lua lua or Buckley

Last year KLL got two crackers in the few games he played, from short little passes to get away from the wall. I don't know why we haven't tried that again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I also was harping on about these Fri. Everyone seems to have summed up the points nicely. Mainly Benno's delivery was awesome and also I'd guess we've been doing a lot on the training ground involving Harley who wasn't playing Fri. I expect there's codes and signals etc for different types of free kicks and maybe Harley is the man who knows most about them etc.

Would like to see more movement though like last yr where El-Abd and GG would loop runs round the back.

Agree with Kaz above - we need to whip balls in rather than float.

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
Thought Noone's corners on Friday were marginally better than Wednesdays but still not enough to really threaten.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Bennett's deliveries were so good because he whipped them in hard and flat. I don't like the chippy swirly ones we are doing at the moment, much easier to defend against and harder to get power on a header from.

100% agree , a lot harder to defend and it only take a little nick and its a goal . you really have to connect well to score from the chip corners/FK

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Is Harley injured, or is it a smokescreen injury....Think we may have bought a dud there, he can certainly take a free kick but the pace of championship seems to much for him....Im sure he will adadpt given time.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Is Harley injured, or is it a smokescreen injury....Think we may have bought a dud there, he can certainly take a free kick but the pace of championship seems to much for him....Im sure he will adadpt given time.

Based on 4 games he has played for us? In which 2 of which he was class in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here