Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious expectations

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Of tomorrow nights result.

Since I last asked you guys we have gone from strength to strength and wiped the floor with Coventry on Saturday. I really worry for you guys tomorrow night. So what are your expectations know. :drink:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Croydonbloke said:

Since I last asked you guys we have gone from strength to strength and wiped the floor with Coventry on Saturday. I really worry for you guys tomorrow night. So what are your expectations know. :drink:

I have reluctantly lowered my expectations after Saturday's results. Down to 1-0 Albion now [from 3-1}.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
'IF' we play to our potential..being at home etc..they wont be able to handle us.

Apparently Dowie may go easy on ya and leave AJ on the bench...Freedman and Morrison have played well upfront and we've won the last 3 games with this combo :) so that's one bit of good news for ya..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we play to our potential we'll embarrass you, we're due to give someone a tonking :jester:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
eagles #1 said:
'IF' we play to our potential..being at home etc..they wont be able to handle us.

Apparently Dowie may go easy on ya and leave AJ on the bench...Freedman and Morrison have played well upfront and we've won the last 3 games with this combo :) so that's one bit of good news for ya..

Look young man...I don't care if you field the entire Brazil squad against us and have the game reffed by your most baised fans. A derby game is a derby game.

ANYTHING can happen on the night.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Brighton Bloke said:
Look young man...I don't care if you field the entire Brazil squad against us and have the game reffed by your most baised fans. A derby game is a derby game.

Yes...keep telling yourself that old man. :)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Thing is that assuming we lose we could run riot in Croydon but the snag is that there's really not a lot left there to vandalise.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Croydonbloke said:

This is going to be a tough game CB, Brighton's away record is pretty good, 3-3 at Leeds the standout. Its all about the first 15-20 mins if we score early the crowd will be deafening and we could open the floodgates but the longer its 0-0 who knows?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I think thats key, we need to be solid for the first 20 minutes not concede and then push on form there, If its still 0-0 at half time then theres every chance that we could nick a win second half seeign as we always seem to play better second half at the moment.

If we play like we did on saturday I'll be pleased if we restrict it to 5 this time.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Re: Re: Serious expectations

AJ's Love Monkey said:
This is going to be a tough game CB, Brighton's away record is pretty good, 3-3 at Leeds the standout. Its all about the first 15-20 mins if we score early the crowd will be deafening and we could open the floodgates but the longer its 0-0 who knows?
I agree and not for one moment suggesting it will be a walk over I just expect Brighton fans to be worrying heavilly about it after Satursdays result.

Coventry 1 - 4 Palace
October 16 2005

This was not as good as the scoreline suggests, it was better. Despite the International break, we took off from where we left off against QPR, writes Simon Pophale.

This time it was north to the Midlands to play a Coventry side which even Micky Adams was calling a 'Jekyll and Hyde' team.

From the 1st whistle, we attacked and for almost the entire 1st half, all Coventry had to show by way of attacking was a Micheal Doyle effort which Kiraly tipped over his bar on 4 minutes. Otherwise, it was one-way traffic.

With Morrison and McAnuff bringing out saves from Steven Bywater, it seemed that the home support needed some whipping up and so, with the match in full flow, strains of Queens’ 'We will rock you' blared out of the speaker system for 2 minutes. Cue booing from the hordes of us in the Jewson stand.

Once the music stopped, we went ahead on 14 minutes. A Ben Watson corner fell to Danny Butterfield and his shot was charged down in the area but Darren Ward was on hand to make it 1-0 from close range. For the next 25 minutes, it was all about us attacking.

Coventry could not match us in midfield and McAnuff was causing havoc down the flanks. Richard Duffy made was looked like a backpass on 34 minutes but Alan Wiley waved play on, which was something that we were getting used to as a minute later, Richard Shaw brought down Freedman but again, nothing was given.

Coventry did manage to start to apply some pressure in the closing stages and won a succession of corners in the last 5 minutes and on the stroke of half time, from their 3rd, Matt Heath headed an equalizer.

But no sooner had we kicked off, Clinton Morrison was brought down 20 yards out and Danny Butterfield swung over the free-kick which Morrison stooped to head past Bywater to restore our lead going into the break.

Micky Adams changed things at half time, taking off Stephen Hughes and bringing on Youseff Sofiane and this almost brought dividends as he set up McSheffrey but Kiraly made a great save.

From then on, it was back to the rhythm of the 1st half and on 53 minutes, we scored possibly one of the best goals that we have scored this season.

A six man move which encompassed our entire midfield and Freedman was finished off by Ben Watson who slid in to meet McAnuffs’ cross and make it 3-1. The game was now as good as over.

Lilian Nalis and Sofiane tried in vain to keep Coventry in the game but despite the Sky Blues having more of the possession, they did not have the final ball which was going to cause our back four any problems at all. Despite having around 5 corners, they could not make any of them count.

So imagine Micky Adams and what his thoughts must have been as first Micheal Hughes, then Andy Johnson and lastly Jon Macken came on for us as the second half ticket on.

Quite simply, it was boys against men at times as Coventry simply did not have the strength in depth that we possessed.

They did keep battling though and never gave in, but ultimately, on a day when they were beaten by simply a better opponent, they ran out of steam.

But for us it was a day of celebration and it was nicely rounded off when Marco Reich fed fit-again Andy Johnson on the right and his shot was parried by Bywater but Jon Macken was on hand to apply the finish and score his first goal in our colours.

4-1 and the few Coventry fans that did wait until the final whistle voiced their disapproval, but they were soon drowned out by our travelling fans, who were as magnificent as the performance on the pitch.

Finally we are in the groove now and with Brighton next, Tuesday is going to be another special night at Selhurst Park.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ill be glad if we dont get a tonking.

But we have only lost one game away this season and that was coz Leon was raped before hull scored their first and the ref didnt see it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brighton Bloke said:

This of course, is bollocks, and designed to give hope to rank outsiders who are away from home and who cling to a good reason to actually turn up. Don't get me wrong, I guess I'm one of those people, but I also think we're going to be soundly beaten. :nono:

When was the last time Man City won at Old Trafford?
Or Everton at Anfield?
Or Tottenham at Arsenal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here