Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

September 11th attacks

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Is it just me or has there been less coverage and documentaries about the attacks (apart from that good channel 4 docu about the guy who had a miracle escape). After 11 years has the memory of that momentous day wained for you or are they just as poignant? And what were you doing when you heard?
When the attacks took place I had a day off and slept in till really late, probably near mid day and I found out about the attacks on this very forum. I remember clicking on a thread, something like "what's going on in New York?" and reading it in utter amazement, before running downstairs and switching on beeb news.
For me the attacks still hold a real and very emotional pull, but when I see footage of those planes hitting the world trade centre it almost doesn't feel real, like a Hollywood film.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone got a link to the NSC threads of that day?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was at work in Crawley and we were just off down the pub. On the way out the doorman had the tv on behind him and was tuned to the news. He told us a plane had just hit the WTC. Whilst we were in the pub they had the TVs tuned to the news and it all started unfolding.
Not a lot got done that afternoon and everyone was in a state of disbelief. Got home about 9 and the Mrs and I watched music videos feeling rather numb.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
My boss was over in New York on business, he called us to say he was OK and we spent the day in disbelief.

We had been due to fly out to the Frankfurt Motor Show the next day, that all got cancelled.

It's only natural that coverage will reduce over time, though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone got a link to the NSC threads of that day?

I heard about it first via NSC. I was in Berlin and wondered into an internet cafe, idly went on here to read the usual nonsense - and a thread had just appeared: 'Plane flies into World Trade Center - now that's what I call terrorism'.

Like many others, I just assumed it was a light aircraft or something, so went on the BBC site which, if memory serves me right, briefly, unbelievably, had the headline 'Plane crashes into World Trade Centre - six dead'. Quite how they came to that conclusion I'll never know.

Went back to the hotel and watched the whole thing unfurl on CNN. I was seeing Radiohead that night, who were playing outdoors in an ampitheatre in a wooded park. Wasn't really in the mood for going, but went anyway - it was freezing cold and pissing down with rain. There were a lot of tourists at the gig, including Americans, who were seemingly unaware of what had happened. Thom Yorke thought it best to tell them and said something like 'I hope this isn't the beginning of World War Three', before the band played 'Lucky' - which contains the line "Pull me out of the air crash..." Thanks for lightening everyone's mood, Thom!

Had to catch a plane home the next day - and there was a security alert on the runway just before take off. You could hear a pin drop on board - everyone just sat there in absolute silence as police and army vehicles surrounded the plane. Fortunately the 'suspect package' was just a mislaid piece of luggage.

Last edited:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I heard about it first via NSC. I was in Berlin and wondered into an internet cafe, idly went on here to read the usual nonsense - and a thread had just appeared: 'Plane flies into World Trade Center - now that's what I call terrorism'.

Like many others, I just assumed it was a light aircraft or something, so went on the BBC site which, if memory serves me right, briefly, unbelievably, had the headline 'Plane crashes into World Trade Centre - six dead'. Quite how they came to that conclusion I'll never know.

Went back to the hotel and watched the whole thing unfurl on CNN. I was seeing Radiohead that night, who were playing outdoors in an ampitheatre in a wooded park. Wasn't really in the mood for going, but went anyway - it was freezing cold and pissing down with rain. There were a lot of tourists at the gig, including Americans, who were seemingly unaware of what had happened. Thom Yorke thought it best to tell them and said something like 'I hope this isn't the beginning of World War Three', before the band played 'Lucky' - which contains the line "Pull me out of the air crash..." Thanks for lightening everyone's mood, Thom!

Had to catch a plane home the next day - and there was a security alert on the runway just before take off. You could hear a pin drop on board - everyone just sat there in absolute silence as police and army vehicles surrounded the plane. Fortunately the 'suspect package' was just a mislaid piece of luggage.

Blimey, great story. A vivid and poignant snapshot of one persons 9/11 experience.
If anyone could find that thread from 9/11 I'd love to see it

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I remember the day as if it was yesterday. I switched the TV over channel hopping as you do, I happened upon sky news where they were reporting that a light aircraft had crashed into one of the towers, the only footage they had was from a building a good way away, I saw live the second aircraft hit the second tower and the rest as they say is history.
I was in the crown and anchor for a meal and some games of pool with my usual group of friends before the Southampton game when the towers started to come down, this was being shown on the televisions in the pub. I don't think people really knew how to react and the enormity of what was unfurling before our eyes. The only thing that I don't remember much about was the actual game, they won that's all I know.
I remember going to bed having watched lots and lots of footage on the extended news programmes and being extremely scared and worried what would be next. Truly one of the most memorable days if only for the wrong reasons of my generation.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I came out of school, Year 4 I think, and my Mum told me a plane had crashed into a building in New York. I shrugged, being an ignorant child, and had no idea how bad it was. Came downstairs to see the parents and they were watching BBC News 24 and I was terrified by what I saw on the TV. Always felt guilty for the initial reaction I had at the school gates :down:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I remember finishing school, I was in my last year and hearing the news and feeling physically sick.

I remember watching it for hours just in disbelief and shit scared world war 3 was going to kick off and get called up for national service.

Does any remember the weird atmosphere at the Southampton game that night? I think more people were talking about what was going on, than watching the game, it still feels like yesterday.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is it just me or has there been less coverage and documentaries about the attacks

i have a few American relatives and there seems to be a feeling amongst them all that it is time to move on,not forget or anything like that just move on from grand parades and speeches and scale down the remembrance.

i think the scale of any future remembrance will and should be defined by the families and friends of those that were killed that day

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
In Houston at the moment, all flags at half mast (outside our hotel etc). Lots of debate on the car radio this morning. Very poignant.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I had popped in for coffee with Steve Foster's (the guy on here) wife - she opened the door looking shocked and told me what had happened - we sat in total disbelief watching CNN - when I left her house I went home and we watched it pretty much all day and evening - I will never forget the images of people walking up the street literally covered in dust - it really did look like some Hollywood film.

These events you always remember where you were when the news broke x

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
it was all over the tv here last night, couldn't escape footage of that 2nd plane going in, still makes me feel sick..... We were hopping channels when it happended and were then morbidly glued to it for hours, including that 2nd plane - talk about engraved in your brain for eternity.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was at Jersey airport as the news first broke, so surreal back at Gatwick to see luggage on the carousels from flights turned back half way across the Atlantic.

The next day I was flying out of Gatwick again for work. In the departure lounge an elderly lady asked me to look after her bag while she went to the loo, you can guess my reaction I am sure!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'd just got back to work after a pub lunch, one of my work mates got a phone call telling him what was happening. We tried to get on the news sites but they wouldn't load. Listened to it unfold on the radio. Got home about 4pm, stuck the TV on to watch the news channels and see the devastation for the first time. Truly shocking stuff, but at the same time you just couldn't take your eyes off the TV.

Then I went to watch Brighton vs Southampton in the league cup.

Last edited:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
didnt we play southampton at withdean that evening - lost 3 nil was a very bizarre atmosphere. I guess the coverage will get less but those images will remain the most shocking of the 21st century.... RIP All who died.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
My wifes auntie and uncle have their wedding anniversary on sept 11th, and at the time were in venice. They were stuck in Italy for days. And to make matters worse their son works in new York and were understandably distressed. They haven't really celebrated their wedding anniversary since that day.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was working on a building site just around the corner from where i lived,vaguely heard something on the radio (not much info on building sites back then)from what i gathered a plane had hit one of the twin towers,just thought it was a light aircraft,nothing more than that really
got home around 5ish,put the tv on and they were just showing a re-run of one of the towers collapsing,I stood in stunned silence for what seemed an age

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
I was working in Curry's and was standing next to the engineer who was fixing a TV and had just turned it on as the news interupted Neighbours or some such and saw the smoke billowing out of the first tower. One by one, the large TV's we had at the back of the store were tuned into the news as staff and customers became aware of the attacks. As the second plane hit all the TV's were showing it. I will never forget the sight of 50 TV's from floor to ceiling showing the second plane hit and later the towers falling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here