Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter - a tragedy

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Isnt he swiss ?

But they're all the same, these europeans. One amorphous mass from the southern tipof Spain right through to where Russia becomes Asia - and up to wherever the most northern bit of Scandinavia - all sharing a pathological hatred of everything British or English, and all conspiring to prevent us winning anything in football or the Eurovision Song Contest.......

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
From the BBC Sportsday feed:

1238:
FOOTBALL
As well as being informed that an alternative to penalty shoot-outs is being sought, the Fifa Congress is also told that British privileges which guarantees the fourhome nations their own FIFA vice-president are outdated, and that a decision on this will be made at next year's Congress. Theo Zwanziger, the German in charge of revising FIFA's statutes, said: "I have a lot of respect for what the British have done for more than 100 years, but football has moved on and it is our duty and obligation to decide if the privileges are still justified in our time and age. This question has been raised in relation to the British vice-presidency."

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs.
Beckenbauer is head of the Football Task Force 2014, a group designed to recommend rule changes.

Bayern Munich honorary president asked to seek alternatives huh?

"Football can be a tragedy when you go to penalty kicks," Blatter said.
"Football should not go to one to one. When it goes to penalty kicks football loses its essence."

I wonder how many penalty shoot outs there have been since his inception (1998)?

Sorry but there is one thing that strikes me about Sepp Blatter, he does favour various FA's and was without a doubt looking for a Bayern win in the ECL, would he have asked... I dunno, Chopper Harris to lead a party into alternatives if Chelsea had lost? Just my thoughts.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not entirely convinced. One of the beauties of the penalty shoot out after 120 mins is that a PLUCKY minnow can hold out for 120 mins and nick a tie in the shootout. If the shootout is played before the final 30 mins with the minnow losing it, then their only available game plan of not conceding a goal will be entirely useless.

Having a 120 minute gameplan of not conceding a goal is hardly condusive to how the game is supposed to be played. And anyway, plucky minnows have every chance in a penalty shootout to gain the advantage for ET, its just down to them whether they take it or not.

The way I see it, its a completely fair method of deciding a drawn game. Nobody is at a disadvantage, its the same for both teams, and would make for (I think) an ENTHRALLING period of ET. Instead of having two knackered teams mentally settling for penaltys and cautiously playing out extra time, you'll have one team going at it hammer and tong, the other defending for their lives.

Pure BOX OFFICE

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Even in the aftermath of Bayern losing the champions league final, I think you'll struggle to find a German fan that considers the penalty shoot out a disaster. The national team has never lost on penalties, and relied on them to make the final of both their most recent world cup and euro cup wins!

Besides, penalties are brilliantly exciting. And they are not a lottery IMHO, just a genuine test of skill and nerve for both the takers and keepers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having a 120 minute gameplan of not conceding a goal is hardly condusive to how the game is supposed to be played. And anyway, plucky minnows have every chance in a penalty shootout to gain the advantage for ET, its just down to them whether they take it or not.

The way I see it, its a completely fair method of deciding a drawn game. Nobody is at a disadvantage, its the same for both teams, and would make for (I think) an ENTHRALLING period of ET. Instead of having two knackered teams mentally settling for penaltys and cautiously playing out extra time, you'll have one team going at it hammer and tong, the other defending for their lives.

Pure BOX OFFICE
No. Pure BOX OFFICE is seeing PLUCKY little Northampton take Liverpool to extra time at Anfield and hoping to hold out for pens.
If the bin dippers had won the shoot out at 90 mins, the cobblers would have no chance in extra time with Liverpool just retaining posession knowing they don't need to score to keep their season alive.

I just don't like the outcome of a penalty shoot out that may not even be necessary dictating how the teams play for the last half hour.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Isn't it about time they introduced a dance-off to decide the winner of the big games.

I can see it now..... And England tied after 118 mins are taking off Stewart Downing to introduce thier dance-off specialst, here comes Louis Spence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
F.I.F.A. Could use a phone vote system,like X Factor where everyone watching gets to vote on a premium line ballot.Ant and Dec could host it,Sepp could make a fortune, suprised the world-wide football family havnt thought of it before

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Seriuosly,I do think Chelsea were Better at defending than Bayern were at attacking, so on the basis of defending being 50% of football,I reckon Chelsea deserved a shot at pens.The germans also knew the rules,it wasn't like they decided to have a penalty shoot-out all of a sudden at fulltime.When we have gone out of various competitions in the past,I have never moaned of the unfairness of it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Seriuosly,I do think Chelsea were Better at defending than Bayern were at attacking, so on the basis of defending being 50% of football,I reckon Chelsea deserved a shot at pens.The germans also knew the rules,it wasn't like they decided to have a penalty shoot-out all of a sudden at fulltime.When we have gone out of various competitions in the past,I have never moaned of the unfairness of it.

I think most on this thread realise that and probably agree with you... it's just a German side lose and that fraud is questioning the penalty shootout method. He's been head of FIFA since 1998, overseeing many, many penalty shootouts, and has only now decided to do something about it (possibly) because he finds it a bad way to finalise a stalemate, although knowing FIFA he'll be long dead before the brown envelopes have been administered and the right decision applied. And asking the Bayern Munich honorary president to overlook a possible change... it does make you wonder?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No. Pure BOX OFFICE is seeing PLUCKY little Northampton take Liverpool to extra time at Anfield and hoping to hold out for pens.
If the bin dippers had won the shoot out at 90 mins, the cobblers would have no chance in extra time with Liverpool just retaining posession knowing they don't need to score to keep their season alive.

I just don't like the outcome of a penalty shoot out that may not even be necessary dictating how the teams play for the last half hour.

Plucky little NORTHAMPTON will still have every chance of turning over the failing bindippers, absolutely nothing has changed except the timing of the pens, which they MAY or MAY NOT not come out of with a massive advantage.

Anyway, cup ties aren't all about 4th division cloggers against guilded opponents, its an excelnt way of separating two closely matchd teams. This has WINNER stamped all over it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe the Easy 10 method should be used in the final only as generally there is only window in the schedule for one game needing to be decided on the day like the champs league, euro final, world cup final

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Plucky little NORTHAMPTON will still have every chance of turning over the failing bindippers, absolutely nothing has changed except the timing of the pens, which they MAY or MAY NOT not come out of with a massive advantage.

Anyway, cup ties aren't all about 4th division cloggers against guilded opponents, its an excelnt way of separating two closely matchd teams. This has WINNER stamped all over it.

And didn't Palarse do Man Utd in ET?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And didn't Palarse do Man Utd in ET?

Utd Reserves.

I dunno, but if they did it in ET following a penalty shootout, its just as fair is it not ?

Likewise if Manure had won the pens but shipped a goal in ET to lose the tie, then they've only got themselves to blame.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Utd Reserves.

I dunno, but if they did it in ET following a penalty shootout, its just as fair is it not ?

Likewise if Manure had won the pens but shipped a goal in ET to lose the tie, then they've only got themselves to blame.

Absolutely, I totally agree with pens at 90 mins... I should have said 'plucky lower league' Palarse at Old Trafford, sometimes my sarcasm is about as much use as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest. But the poster that said Northampton wouldn't have beaten Liverpool is just plain wrong, of course they could have... plucky Palarse did at OT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here