Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter - a tragedy

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe the Easy 10 method should be used in the final only as generally there is only window in the schedule for one game needing to be decided on the day like the champs league, euro final, world cup final

Not sure I get you.
In a tournament it should be adopted for EVERY knockout game which ends in a draw, otherwise whats the point. Likewise in domestic cups. This should be brought in to settle any game which wouldm otherwise have been purely down to pens.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] nailed it earlier, and its an idea I've heard before.

You have the penalty shootout at the end of 90 minutes. The losing team then goes into ET knowing they HAVE to score in order to wipe out the penalty shootout result and win the game.

Imagine winning the shootout and going into ET knowing you just need to hold out as the other team takes to the field to BATTER you for 30 minutes, risking the chance of a goal on the break which would kill them dead (as they'd obviously then need 2 goals).

Its flawless. You're still retaining the drama of the penalty shootout, and having the extra time with a twist. No gimmicks, no boring stats deciding things, no ridiculous footballing circus of removing players. All you're doing is bumping the pens from after 120 to after 90 to give a whole new way of deciding it fairly.

I want it. I want it NOW.

Why not just batter the team in the first place, then you don't have to worry about extra time and pens.

Simples.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] nailed it earlier, and its an idea I've heard before.

You have the penalty shootout at the end of 90 minutes. The losing team then goes into ET knowing they HAVE to score in order to wipe out the penalty shootout result and win the game.

Imagine winning the shootout and going into ET knowing you just need to hold out as the other team takes to the field to BATTER you for 30 minutes, risking the chance of a goal on the break which would kill them dead (as they'd obviously then need 2 goals).

Its flawless. You're still retaining the drama of the penalty shootout, and having the extra time with a twist. No gimmicks, no boring stats deciding things, no ridiculous footballing circus of removing players. All you're doing is bumping the pens from after 120 to after 90 to give a whole new way of deciding it fairly.

I want it. I want it NOW.

But the winning team after penalties at 90 mins just sits on a lead and defends like heck. Makes no difference.

I was always disappointed that the golden goal concept was scrapped. It rewarded a team that was prepared to try and win a game rather than just allow two teams go through a charade of playing for 30 minutes with no other tactic than "lets get to penalties" which we have all seen.

How about STARTING the match with a short (say best of three) penalty shoot out. So one team starts 2-1 up.Then we know we are going to get a result after 90 minutes and extra time would be very unlikely. If its a draw at the end of 90 mins we can then have the remainig 2 penalties and if needed then go to sudden death and away goals still count double in the event of a draw.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But the winning team after penalties at 90 mins just sits on a lead and defends like heck.

That is the whole point if you extended the extra time by 5 mins each way that would mean 1 team has to defend for virtually a whole half and the other would have to throw caution to the wind and score a goal and after 90 mins not many teams are going to be able to sit and defend a lead for 40 mins without coming out and attacking a bit and hoping for another goal to kill the game off.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
After full time take the two backs and duck tape them to the goalpost,taking them out of the match but reducing the size of the goal,after ten minutes take the other two from the back four and duck tape them to the backs,two more men less but goal reduced....or alternatively just have a penalty shoot....it ain't broke...why fix it....if Bayern had won there is no way Blatter would be trying to change it....altogether now "Just because you're losing....just because your losing!!"

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
If we'd had penalties in 1983 we might well have been FA Cup Winners. Suits me!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
he's probably just saying it because it is a bit unsatifactory. A bit like goal line technology is now being looked at after england were robbed at a world cup.

Honestly, this "everyone hates us just because we're english" mantra makes me want to puke.

this

But obviously Platini and Blatter do hate us because we're English? Or more so what our representatives have said and done. And what British TV programs have accused both of?
Maybe Platini and Blatter hate the FA because they've handed over control of English football to the commercial interests of the Premier League?

In which case, I say more power to their elbows.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Though I despise the man and he despises us, am I missing something here? .......he's not German.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Apparently Platini the player and manager (pre officialdom), has always despised English football and its Clubs.
All this was pre BBC documentaries, or our media slagging him.

His power now, e.g. the UEFA FFPRules, and his future as the FIFA president, gives and will give the relatively young President, a great ability to get at the English and especially Chelsea and Man City scenarios.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure I get you.
In a tournament it should be adopted for EVERY knockout game which ends in a draw, otherwise whats the point. Likewise in domestic cups. This should be brought in to settle any game which wouldm otherwise have been purely down to pens.

Then EVERY single game would end up like Chelsea v Barca. Terrible idea, with a slight twinge of insanity to it.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
As a kid, my team won a 3rd place playoff in a 6 a side tournament on corners won.

Personally I quite like penalties everyone knows where they stand with them. But corners would encourage attacking football instead of the negative play for penno's attitude.

I remember winning a whole tournament on corners! It must be a rule in 6 a side or more likely the pressure of pens on young kids could seriously mean heartbreak!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here