Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter - a tragedy

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nothing could really be more predictable than that after decades of winning shoot-outs (mainly against our sides or so it feels) a German side finally loses a penalty shoot-out and Blatter decides to immediately set up a working party to abolish them as a means of settling matches ???

What next? Decide games on the basis of racial (germanic) purity?

Maybe penalties aren't ideal and everyone has discussed alternatives for years and years but the way Blatter chooses his time to react (nasty English took his ball - shan't! won't let them!) is an embarrassment to world football

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I saw the thread title and for a horrible moment thought he had been killed in some tragic accident. I would have been most upset, his input to football is extremely important and his loss would have been unimaginably sad.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I saw the thread title and for a horrible moment thought he had been killed in some tragic accident. I would have been most upset, his input to football is extremely important and his loss would have been unimaginably sad.

Sarcasm suits you sir :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's probably just saying it because it is a bit unsatifactory. A bit like goal line technology is now being looked at after ENGLAND were robbed at a World Cup.

Honestly, this "everyone hates us just because we're English" mantra makes me want to puke.

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
But obviously Platini and Blatter do hate us because we're English? Or more so what our representatives have said and done. And what British TV programs have accused both of?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I love penalty shoot outs. We saw with the ridiculous "golden goal" what happens when something different is given a go. There is no way they will be scrapped.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What is really wrong with Penaltys? if a game cannot be decided after 90 mins of football and then 30 mins extra time? football is not a sport that has huge open scorelines, I doubt any other team sport has as many draws for one reason or another as football does.

Every other sport has its own version on a shootout in one way or another anyway.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've got a truly mentel ( :lolol: ) idea, I reckon if I pitched it to old Septic he would be all over it like a rash. In extra time you do away with the goalkeepers but you can only score from within the 18 yard box. Nobody can use their hands. If no-one scores in extra time, both are eliminated from the competition for being completely shit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I love penalty shoot outs. We saw with the ridiculous "golden goal" what happens when something different is given a go. There is no way they will be scrapped.

Oi, don't you dare criticise the golden goal rule! Geoff Pitcher will be tracking you down and having angry words. That was the pinnacle of his career.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
He's probably just saying it because it is a bit unsatifactory. A bit like goal line technology is now being looked at after ENGLAND were robbed at a World Cup.

Honestly, this "everyone hates us just because we're English" mantra makes me want to puke.

after the England "goal" was disallowed, Blatter continued to be adamant in his opposition to goal line technology.

Far from repeating the "everyone hates us we're English" mantra my suggestion was that Blatter will always respond to any events to gain a percieved advantage for German football over everyone - predictable and tragic for the authority of world football's leadership.

If they could come up with a better/fairer way to settle matches I'd be all for it.

As much as I wanted Chelsea to win being the English side it was pretty obvious Bayern were the better footballing side.

I seem to recall quite some years ago that Red Star Belgrade won and they were awful, played for the penalties because they would never have won on the pitch during normal play.

That said, Blatter is almost certainly anti English and the timing of this could have been better.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'v got it, three Judges decide the out come of who thought who was the better team throughout the game. much fairer than Pens

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have the penalty shoot out at the end of 90 mins. That would mean 1 team defending like f..k with everybody behind the ball and the other going all out attack and extend extra time to 20 mins each way which is virtually another half of the original game..

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I don't see the problem with penalties, if neither side have broken the deadlock then I think Penalties is a fair way to decide. It can be harsh at times, especially if one team dominates the other but then that's their problem for not seeing the game out and taking the win. It's always good to watch a shoot out, its entertaining, tense and completely unpredictable as even the worlds best can end up missing (e.g. Messi, Robben against Chelsea)

Golden Goal would be stupid, players would be picking up injuries left, right and centre if after playing 120 mins, they could potentially have another hour or more to play...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Puke away matey, there is plenty of evidence to support that assertion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here