Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling Vinyl

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I got bought a USB turntable for my birthday, and I'm considering selling a lot of my vinyl now I've converted it to my pc.

Does anyone know any good, preferably free websites I can check out some price guides? All the ones I can find want a subscription fee, or registering. I think I may have a couple or three that might be worth a few bob, and don't want to end floging them for 50p down the car boot.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Selling Vinyl, thats a sin worse than going down on your mother !!!

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i tried to sell my vinyl, a lot of it not to everyones taste admittedly, however, when i took my list of 400+ to vinyl exchange in manchester they offered me 27 quid!

i sold my 1210's for a pittance because nobody wants them anymore.

now i cannot sell my really good 12" vinyl storage boxes which cost me 30 quid each, i have 6 of them but on ebay they'll get nothing.

if your records are pre-'92 then keep them, if they're post-'92 then they're worthless might've just generalized a bit there)

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Make a list of them and head over to Rounder Records by the station. They know their stuff and are in the top 50 music shops in the country.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

I've seen the makings of an entire "top end" setup from the late 90s in the window of Cash Convertors in Belfast for about 200 quid! Two 1210 Mk2s and some old Allen & Heath mixer. And yet they still sell them for what, 800 notes new. And I know people that pay that...

I got bought a USB turntable for my birthday, and I'm considering selling a lot of my vinyl now I've converted it to my pc.

Does anyone know any good, preferably free websites I can check out some price guides? All the ones I can find want a subscription fee, or registering. I think I may have a couple or three that might be worth a few bob, and don't want to end floging them for 50p down the car boot.

Well - I sell and buy vinyl all the time. It takes a lot of work listing the stuff I must say, and basically I don't make much - because I turn anything I make around and just buy other vinyl anyway.
You could hunt out a book with price-guides, but you cannot assume for a moment that what the guide says is what you will get. You need to know how to grade too, by the way.
I recently got a whole load of fairly rare rock and roll in great shape, but where the price-guide quotes £20, I might get a fiver, and some aren't going to sell at all.

If you go to dealers in town, they will give you bottom prices for everything. Fact.

If it's of interest to you to sell privately, then let me know - I will certainly pay more than shops, and give you honest assessments of worth rather than try ripping you off.

PM me with an idea of what sort of music you have, if you're interested in selling them privately.
If you're convinced you want to sell yourself, individually, then ....I can only say good luck.

i tried to sell my vinyl, a lot of it not to everyones taste admittedly, however, when i took my list of 400+ to vinyl exchange in manchester they offered me 27 quid!

now i cannot sell my really good 12" vinyl storage boxes which cost me 30 quid each, i have 6 of them but on ebay they'll get nothing.

if your records are pre-'92 then keep them, if they're post-'92 then they're worthless might've just generalized a bit there)

See, even if you had a boot fair sale for 50p each you'd likely make more than £27 measly quid on 400 records!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Find out where there's a vinyl collectors fair near you (I assume they have such things in the UK? They have loads of them over here). Make a list of what you have to sell, take it to the fair and find a stall that's selling similar stuff to what you have. Show the stall-holder your list and watch his eyes light up.

I did just that a could of years ago and got €1,000 for 250 albums. Fair return on a couple of hours' work I thought.

Any collectors out there want a good condition copy of the JAMMS' "1987-What the f***'s Going On?" - one of the few containing the rip-off of Dancing Queen that got away before Abba's lawyers descended and had the album withdrawn and all the stocks burnt?

Or failing that, any idea what it's worth?

Jan 30, 2008
there used to be a collecters fair at the brighton centre, sold some cure ltd edit there years ago and was shocked to see how much the "dealers" were re selling them for

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

It appears to me that you don't need that USB turntable any more. Do you want to sell / hire it to me? What sort of quality recordings did you get from it?

As for selling vinyl, I shipped quite a few at a car boot last year when The Grub and I combined our collections and sold the duplicates. Nothing went for less than £1 for an album, and we pocketed considerably more than we would have done taking them to a re-seller. We've still got quite a few that didn't sell, theough, and I can only assume they're pretty worthless (mostly old prog rock type stuff!).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Beanos on Croydon are pretty much THE vinyl retailer in the UK, their website might give you some indications.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The collector's events at the Brighton Centre would be a good place to figure out the value and then perhaps return as a seller but surely some of the dealers will just offer you next to nothing for a rare 12 inch then flog it for a fortune?

Any good ska/punk/ Northern Soul vinyl?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove

Vinyl Man or Mania. Think there is web site.

Or wait until the next records fair at the Brighton Cntr.

I left my entire collecrtion at a ex flat mates, he sold the lot. Would be worth a good few grand today, loads of classic and rare house and acid. Personally I would keep hold of it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I rarely use my decks these days but the poor sell means that I might as well keep them, even if it is only for sentimental value. I put alot of effort (not to mention money) into my vinyl collection getting white labels and imports, no way would I sell it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

No! Loads of rare dance vinyl still fetches big money on eBAY, lots of it post-'92. Some of the stuff I've got is worth over £100-a-pop, so if you are going to sell stuff, try doing the rare stuff individually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here