Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling a Sky card

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'm about to flog an Sky+ box and remote on eBay, and someone's just said I should include the viewing card – as then I'll get more for it.

Does anyone know if it's 'safe' to sell a viewing card - would I not then end up getting charged by Sky for someone else's viewing? I have cancelled the card so the buyer would have to 'reactivate' it somehow...

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Card is linked to your Home Address, the new owner would have to quote the card number, upon which Sky will know that the card is in different hands (assuming the new owner isn't on the make and tells them he is you)

Do you own the Sky+ box though? As I understand it, you never actually own the box, not certain, but worth checking out before you try to sell it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Superphil said:
Card is linked to your Home Address, the new owner would have to quote the card number, upon which Sky will know that the card is in different hands (assuming the new owner isn't on the make and tells them he is you)

Do you own the Sky+ box though? As I understand it, you never actually own the box, not certain, but worth checking out before you try to sell it.
If you paid for a sky+ box then you own the box outright. If you take a free box and installation offer I think the box is yours after the first 12 months as this is the minimum tie in contract. The card is worth something if the new owner only wants to watch free to view satellite channels (including CH4 and five) and gets the card downgraded thereby not coughing up £20 for a new freesat card.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gah, seagullsovergrimsby not only beat me to it, he got in more detail :dunce:

The card is of most use to someone living in southern/south-western Ireland who can't get C4/C5/etc with an aerial. You're not allowed sell the cards on eBay though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here