Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticket renewals

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Travel shouldnt be included, those who have paid a rather large sum to park at the Uni shouldnt have to pay further for travel they clearly arent going to use

It just depends on how you chose to look at it though - there's no real right and wrong here I don't think.

It could be said that the club are providing the facility for everyone to get to the ground on public transport within a certain area should they so choose - which is probably a good thing. The total cost of this is an expense to the club, much like any other bill they have, and so the costing for this is factored into the overall budget, and season ticket prices worked out from there.

The extra convenience of having a parking space is still the same, and hence the same premium on top of ticket price will probably be charged for it.

It could be said that the club are providing the facility for everyone to get to the ground on public transport within a certain area should they so choose - which is probably a good thing. The total cost of this is an expense to the club, much like any other bill they have, and so the costing for this is factored into the overall budget, and season ticket prices worked out from there.

I think the other point to remember is that these requirements are externally imposed by the local Planning Authority and if the club doesn't comply then there's no football. In my mind it's not just £1 towards the cost of someone's bus/train/coach ticket, it's part of an overall transport management cost that all ticket holders should share (home and away); just like the cost of providing and maintaining facilities within the stadium, whether you choose to use them of not.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Travel shouldnt be included, those who have paid a rather large sum to park at the Uni shouldnt have to pay further for travel they clearly arent going to use

unless the cost of the travel you've already paid is taken into account when the parking charges are set

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Hmmm..... the Shoreham tax avoider(s) vs BHA? Personally, I think he'll bottle it.

unless he is launching a class action on behalf of all people who get free travel (not just those who benefit from union negotiated perks). I for one already have a train and bus pass although I will politely refuse any requests either to add support or benefit from the legal process.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thankfully bein in wsu and just about in band A or the cheapest band means a few quid extra is not a problem personally.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I only expect there to be a nominal increase in prices, with travel to be included as unfotunately the present voucher system is not working as it's being abused.

Club have some difficult decisions to make here.

It's so much cheaper to have a ST than buy on a match by match basis, if you intend to go to every game.

However,it's clear that quite a few STH don't attend every game, and opting to buy on a game by game basis might be an option for some.

With (possibly) extra seats going in, will a ST be neccessary for those who don't/won't attend every game?

Re last point, renewals will be taken up before seats are seen to be in therefore the club will get massive % of renewals given the possibilty the new seats don't materialise

unless he is launching a class action on behalf of all people who get free travel (not just those who benefit from union negotiated perks). I for one already have a train and bus pass although I will politely refuse any requests either to add support or benefit from the legal process.

A negotiated, and taxed, benefit for the individual for sure; but you might wonder what HMRC would make of the tax liability for the rest of the free travellers?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Re last point, renewals will be taken up before seats are seen to be in therefore the club will get massive % of renewals given the possibilty the new seats don't materialise

Does anyone know if the planning application has been heard,passed,rejected yet ?

I think the other point to remember is that these requirements are externally imposed by the local Planning Authority and if the club doesn't comply then there's no football. In my mind it's not just £1 towards the cost of someone's bus/train/coach ticket, it's part of an overall transport management cost that all ticket holders should share (home and away); just like the cost of providing and maintaining facilities within the stadium, whether you choose to use them of not.

This hasn't happened this season though has it? People have had the option to buy travel vouchers like I did, some people took up the option and some didn't regardless of the externally imposed requirements by Brighton and Hove Council. What would've happened if no one had bought travel vouchers? Would the club have been able to play at the stadium?

Many people this season have got away with not paying for travel to the stadium by bus and train with one of the main reasons being that staff have found it difficult to check the tickets. My solution would be to still give people the option to buy travel vouchers but not have a book of tickets. Instead you could have the plastic season ticket a different colour to identify that you have bought the extra travel to the stadium via bus, park and ride or train. It would make it easier for transport staff to check as they could say no to all people without the different coloured plastic season ticket. You could also have different coloured season tickets for those people who use the car parks.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well im over in Eastbourne, so a travel voucher isnt really much use to me from Lewes, cheaper to just use a normal train ticket. Cant it just be an add-on ? Like a season travel voucher, a season car park space or neither.

Although im not sure how that could work with a ticket exchange, but that needs to be sorted.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This hasn't happened this season though has it? People have had the option to buy travel vouchers like I did, some people took up the option and some didn't regardless of the externally imposed requirements by Brighton and Hove Council. What would've happened if no one had bought travel vouchers? Would the club have been able to play at the stadium?

Many people this season have got away with not paying for travel to the stadium by bus and train with one of the main reasons being that staff have found it difficult to check the tickets. My solution would be to still give people the option to buy travel vouchers but not have a book of tickets. Instead you could have the plastic season ticket a different colour to identify that you have bought the extra travel to the stadium via bus, park and ride or train. It would make it easier for transport staff to check as they could say no to all people without the different coloured plastic season ticket. You could also have different coloured season tickets for those people who use the car parks.

I would imagine it would be far cheaper to produce paper vouchers than numerous different coloured season tickets

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Logistically it would be simpler to make the season ticket card eligible for travel. Much in the same way that we had at with dean. Whilst at Withers I was able to walk to the ground so I was effectively paying for something I didn't need and just put up with it. my train season ticket is valid for travel to flamer so once again I'm alright but I wouldn't object if £30 was added to my ST which meant I could also get the bus if I wanted. I do not think there is a solution that will please everyone, but I think incorporating travel into the ticket is administratively the most simple option.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Does anyone know if the planning application has been heard,passed,rejected yet ?

Someone I know who went on a tour, was told that the application was approved and seats would be installed in the summer.

So positive vibes but nothing to hang my hat on as yet. IMO I think they will be there ready for next season. But I am in a very positive frame of mind at the moment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

For me, that doesn't get round the problem.

The problem - especially on the trains - is that there are too many people in such a short space of time in the queue to check tickets. Your solution wouldn't resolve it because individual tickets - in whatever form - would still need to be checked. It's the checking that's the problem, not what is being checked.

I think that a universal levy, whether it's used by an individual or not, is the best, possibly easiest way. The individual would not so much be paying for their travel, more they'd be contributing towards the running costs of keeping the stadium operation legal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. Very well put.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here