Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Scene in the Sussex Express

S-Express

Feb 28, 2008
Hi everyone

Some of you might already know about the BHA column we run in the Sussex Express every week but I know our paper isn't particularly well read in Brighton.

It's called Seagulls Scene and it's written by Ray Eggleton. It's basically a fan's view of the week's events at the Withdean and all things Albion.

Ray's latest column covering the Orient and Gills game can be viewed here:

<strong>Seagulls Scene: Two more games, four more points</strong> - Lewes Today

And his comprehensive coverage of last week's presentation at the Town Hall can be viewed here:

Seagulls Scene: Plans set out for the building of Falmer - Lewes Today

Ray's previous columns going back weeks, if not months, can also be viewed on our website. Check it out and see what you think...and feel free to register to leave messages.

Cheers

Brian Pollard
Sports Editor
Sussex Express

paul1960

Feb 26, 2007
Sussex
Good column but would be better with a few action shots of the games.

I tend to buy the middy which also has good albion coverage and action shots.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Does this mean that the SS readers of Lewes are now beginning to embrace the concept of a multi-million £ sporting facility just mins from their town centre, that will attract visitors and their spending power to cafes, pubs, hotels & shops and all at no cost to the local (Lewes) taxpayers?

Indeed, maybe one day they'll get around to asking just how much have they spent on delaying said scheme?

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Ray Eggleton's seagull column in the S-Express has always been pro-Falmer, just like the majority of us lot here in Lewes (remember the pro-stadium petition signed by large numbers in Lewes a couple of years ago at Christmas?). However, the paper itself is rather anti-Falmer, especially the nutty ,self-obsessed old dears who write the unintentionally hilarious Parish Pump pages.

Sillwood

Save the West Pier
Jul 19, 2007
Lewes District
And the Sussex Express is a really good read for all Norman Baker fans! He gets superb coverage every week and lets you know on which fence he will be sitting.
If you are really sad you can find out why Ringmer Lib Dems think it's a good idea to put a b. great wind turbine on top of the South Downs (the same ones who didnt want a stadium in that field at Falmer?).

And the Sussex Express is a really good read for all Norman Baker fans! He gets superb coverage every week and lets you know on which fence he will be sitting.
If you are really sad you can find out why Ringmer Lib Dems think it's a good idea to put a b. great wind turbine on top of the South Downs (the same ones who didnt want a stadium in that field at Falmer?).

That depends on how you read the situation, Sillwood.

My take on it is that Peter Gardiner (who is new to LDC, since he beat me in the election and is now the Lead Member for Planning on the council) isn't someone to be led by the NIMBYs. Nor is he someone who swallows the old Lib Dem doctrine that "no development at all should ever be permitted in an AONB". If he'd have been around five years ago, we might have seen more sense from LDC.

On the other hand, the are folk on NSC who see the Lib Dems as simply friends of the moneyed classes who frequent Glyndebourne and enemies of football fans who don't.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
That depends on how you read the situation, Sillwood.

My take on it is that Peter Gardiner (who is new to LDC, since he beat me in the election and is now the Lead Member for Planning on the council) isn't someone to be led by the NIMBYs. Nor is he someone who swallows the old Lib Dem doctrine that "no development at all should ever be permitted in an AONB". If he'd have been around five years ago, we might have seen more sense from LDC.

On the other hand, the are folk on NSC who see the Lib Dems as simply friends of the moneyed classes who frequent Glyndebourne and enemies of football fans who don't.

I thought it was just as much the Planners in LDC as well as the Lib Dems who are friends of the moneyed classes who etc, etc......

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As I've posted here b4, the Chief Planner at LDC is an Arsenal fan from Folkestone who good as told me he would see the Stadium over his dead body. I am already planning the special banner dedicated to his role in the process.
PG

Guilligomarc'h Gully

Vive Les Mouettes!

It's worth 40p a week just to see pictured Norman Baker's smiling faces. And we get to understand where all his carefully recorded expenses go. Unfortunately I don't think he lives within the danger area of 900metres of the proposed Glyndebourne wind turbine. Does he like opera I wonder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here