Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scrap the Seagull, Bring Back the Dolphin

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Case For:
1. It's part of BHA and Brighton (Dolphinarium) history
2. Many people despise Seagulls, Dolphins on the other hand are mans best (sea) friend.
3. A 'leaping' dolphin badge similar to the Miami Dolphins crest (but without the NFL helmet before someone says it) would be quality.
4. It would give me a chance to dust off my charity shop 'BHAFC - The Dolphins' scarves
6. What happened to 5.?
7. It would enable BHA to regain it's identity rather than having a nickname that (allegedly) arose in response to the scum being called 'Eagles'

The Case Against:
1. Chanting "Dolphins!" sounds crap. Chanting "Seagulls!" also sounds crap....but less so.

I don't do polls so maybe we need a public referendum Mr Knight
;)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We had to get rid of the dophlins as they would have literally died of boredom. There's nothing boring about this club since they became 'Seagulls'.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sorry mate, dolphins are history (I agree that they are lovely creatures in their own special way and should be protected against nasty tuna fishermen), but seagulls are the here and now, yes the name (allegedly) arose as a protest, but they make a lot of noise and s**t on everything...would you rather have something in common with a seagull...oh, and every time I see a seagull it gives me a nice reminder of the Albion, how often do you see a dolphin whilst going about your daily life?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gully said:
oh, and every time I see a seagull it gives me a nice reminder of the Albion

The last one I saw up close and personal was bouncing off my car windscreen on the A259 through Seaford with a broken neck. Amazingly the windscreen came off unscathed as it was a weighty bugger. My ongoing guilt in this matter leads me to campaign for the Dolphin's return.

Last edited:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...ah cheeky, I see your dilemma, perhaps you could atone for your error by building a seagull feeding station in your back garden, I am sure your neighbours would be eternally grateful, however you should be relieved it wasn't a dolphin you hit, imagine how much damage that would have done!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Besides which you'd have to change your name to Dolph as well.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Were we really once called the Shrimps? Or is my mate a dumbass/having me on!

D

Deleted User X18H

I tell you what, I agree with you. Lets do it.

'DOLPHINS DOLPHINS'

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Cheeky Monkey said:
The last one I saw up close and personal was bouncing off my car windscreen on the A259 through Seaford with a broken neck. Amazingly the windscreen came off unscathed as it was a weighty bugger. My ongoing guilt in this matter leads me to campaign for the Dolphin's return.

Why? If a dolphin bounced off your windscreen you'd know about it a LOT more.

Occasionally I drive a bus - only a 16 seater, admittedly, but nevertheless a bus that is allowed to use bus lanes and EVERYTHING.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving it along Terminus Road, Eastbourne - right in the middle of town, past loads of shoppers and mums and kids.

And what did I do?

I RAN OVER A SEAGULL. In full view of everyone.

I am deeply ashamed.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They probably won't be there when anyone else looks, but the two Google ads at the bottom of this thread are dolphin-related, are the ads usually related to a 'key' word in the thread title??!?!?!?

On the subject of seagull splatting a work colleague this week witnessed a freshly run over baby seagull dying in the road with distressed parents squawking around it. Thought I'd better share that one.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You were right cheeky, the ad related to Dolphin Watching in Cornwall and Morayshire from 29 quid. I can offer seagull watching at Gloucester tip and will only charge a tenner...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What is the porpoise of this thread?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Hmmm

Seagulls = rats with wings, vermin

Dolphins = intelligent beautiful creatures, who jump through hoops, and EVERYTHING...

but I would still back the seagull in a fight...

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Withdean Wanderer said:
Were we really once called the Shrimps? Or is my mate a dumbass/having me on!

Absolutely true. It was changed briefly to the Dophins in the early seventies but was soon changed again to the Seagulls.

Southend Utd are the team that 'happily' known as the Shrimps now.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Cheeky Monkey said:
They probably won't be there when anyone else looks, but the two Google ads at the bottom of this thread are dolphin-related, are the ads usually related to a 'key' word in the thread title??!?!?!?

On the subject of seagull splatting a work colleague this week witnessed a freshly run over baby seagull dying in the road with distressed parents squawking around it. Thought I'd better share that one.

Seagulls make very good attentive parents.
They nest on the roof opposite me, which being on a hillside means they are at our living room level.
Last year they raised 3 chicks and this year only 2.

Halftime Oranges

Oct 22, 2003
Rottingdean
Lord Bracknell said:
Occasionally I drive a bus - only a 16 seater, admittedly, but nevertheless a bus that is allowed to use bus lanes and EVERYTHING.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving it along Terminus Road, Eastbourne - right in the middle of town, past loads of shoppers and mums and kids.

And what did I do?

I RAN OVER A SEAGULL. In full view of everyone.

I am deeply ashamed.

What bus is it ???

Jul 31, 2005
Abu Dhabi, UAE
why does it have to be an animal/mammal?

In a similar vein to Cheaterfields (Div 3 Championship reference 2001) crooked spire to get Spirites we should celebrate our city's landmark building and call ourselves 'the Pavilionaires' and change crest to an outl;ine of the Pav and our colours to city council green or seafront railing aquamarine.

tongue firmly in cheek.

We are Seagulls.

Bring back the round badge though.

SGoAD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here