Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCR Phone In, Excellent Point Made! + Black Hole!

Oct 5, 2003
best most startling and yet undesputeable honest true and accurate comment from a Brighton fan for ages on the SCR Hartys phone in....

if we are in financial trouble now - with £300,000 or thereabouts expected from Spurs game and £250,000 from curry sale thats over half a million!!!!

what the **** does that say about the state of the clubs finances a week ago??

no wonder others are posting 'doomed' and the like!

To his credit Harty was quick to pick this up and imho shouldve made more from it as clearly no-one outside the lapdog and his accomplish with shinny boots knows the true extent of the dire financial books at the club. Yes after so many fans have given very very generously to the club they do deserve to know where the money is going and how much pounds , schillings and pence the club are in the debt and what it take to get out the black hole!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it would be useful if we could all understand this a bit better and there was some transparency.

What were we trying to raise with the A & K appeal - was it £2 million ?

As pointed out if it was, a quarter has arrived totally unexpected which can't be bad.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It was stated very clearly at the Fans Forum

There is a deficit of £9.5 million. The directors have made up £7 million and are asking the fans to make up the remaining £2.5 million through the A & K appeal

Oct 5, 2003
i guess your glass is half full wheeas mine's half empty beachy, time for another :drink: then!

seriously though what does it say about the finances if they are dire now with all this unexpected money coming in how close was the club to going say into administration a week ago i wonder???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
It was stated very clearly at the Fans Forum

There is a deficit of £9.5 million. The directors have made up £7 million and are asking the fans to make up the remaining £2.5 million through the A & K appeal

So given the Spurs Money, Currie fee and A & K so far (£200K) we are around £1.8 million short ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
Probably.

Right - not being funny boys, we need to beat Spurs then get MUFC away :lolol: :lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
MYOB said:
How the hell is the deficit 9.5 million ???

How long has it accumulated over?

Since we lost the Goldstone ground. Paying rent to Gillingham, paying Ecovert for Withdean, paying wages with only 6800 gate money

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
Since we lost the Goldstone ground. Paying rent to Gillingham, paying Ecovert for Withdean, paying wages with only 6800 gate money

Paying the fees to get planning permission for Falmer

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:

Yes, lawyers get paid far more than footballers.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hrm... I thought we didn't lose as much money at Priestfield as we do here though?

Either way, 9,500,000/7 is still a big loss per year.

Somehow I don't feel so robbed in paying E80 all-in for a replica shirt now.

I assumed the club were 4-5,000,000 down, not 9,500,000 down.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Beach Hut said:

Hrm, I forgot that

I'd be interested to see how much of the deficit is from the club operations and how much is from the stadium.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
This is why the losses are accumulating. We didn't lose as much as Priestfield as we are now. It has been 7 long long years.
We should have had Falmer in 2002 when the council gave us planning permission but the 2.5 years delay since then and the outlay for the public inquiry is what is killing us slowly now.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
MYOB said:
Hrm, I forgot that

I'd be interested to see how much of the deficit is from the club operations and how much is from the stadium.

It maybe that some of that is recoverable in the Stadium funding but you need the permission to build first ?

Not sure

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Then of course there is the Inland Revenue who are getting impatient for their Capital Gains Tax. If we can prove we are building a new stadium then we don't have to pay it but if we don't get a firm yes then they will foreclose on that.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Beach Hut said:
It maybe that some of that is recoverable in the Stadium funding but you need the permission to build first ?

Not sure

I doubt much to any of the outlay to date on stadium is recoverable, beyond maybe suing Lewes DC for being prats - although I doubt that'd hold up in court :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
Then of course there is the Inland Revenue who are getting impatient for their Capital Gains Tax. If we can prove we are building a new stadium then we don't have to pay it but if we don't get a firm yes then they will foreclose on that.

Stop it, I'll get all depressed again :p

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
MYOB said:
I doubt much to any of the outlay to date on stadium is recoverable, beyond maybe suing Lewes DC for being prats - although I doubt that'd hold up in court :)

If you sued Lewes council (who haven't any money of their own) and they lost it would be up to council tax payers to pay out. So no, I dont agree to that.

Beach Hut Keep the Faith

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yorkie said:
If you sued Lewes council (who haven't any money of their own) and they lost it would be up to council tax payers to pay out. So no, I dont agree to that.

Beach Hut Keep the Faith

Ah, I forgot the Poll Tax system in the UK

We don't have that here. Thankfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here