Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scott McGleish... signs for Whitehawk (merged)

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I remember reading an interveiw where SMIAW said he enjoyed the banter from Brighton fans and he saw as just that a bit of banter, partly why I respect him and also he is a very good lower league player as EP said

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My thoughts towards McGleish:

We're now a solid championship with designs on the Prem, and have 23,000 season ticket holders. All's well that ends well eh?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I've heard from a journo mate who used to cover Wycombe when he played there, that SM does reckon it was Griffiths who was naughty in front of the North Stand in the famous 4-4, not him. So, if we're being serious for a second, I don't hold anything against him.

But what a brilliant panto villain he has been for us over the years since then. He has played up to it and given us a lot of fun, if you ask me. I think that one of the things that sealed my (London-born) son as an Albion fan was the mass of Albion fans along the side of the pitch at Orient singing "... is a w*anker" at full voice.

Top bloke, really.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not even sure it was Scott McGleish. I was there, in the north stand and I was sure it was Carl Griffiths. Anyway, I'm with El Pres, even if it was him he was young and stupid. It really is time to move on.

He either loves the game and so is prepared to carry on playing regardless of the level, or needs the money, which is fair enough also.

I also think that at certain times in the last 14 years, we would have loved to have that kind of goal poacher in our team

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hopefully we draw them in the Sussex senior cup.

One final chance to give McGleish some jip.
FA Cup hopefully, then there will be 20,000 of us.

Perhaps, just perhaps, he was young and stupid when he did it (although it may of course have been Carl Griffiths who did the deed and McGleish got the blame).

If you did nothing stupid when you were that age by all means give him abuse, as for the rest of us, I think we've all got skeletons in our closet that are for worse than McGleish's.
I don't.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It was Carl Griffiths. A real case of mistaken identity if ever there was one.

richmond

May 30, 2008
I've heard from a journo mate who used to cover Wycombe when he played there, that SM does reckon it was Griffiths who was naughty in front of the North Stand in the famous 4-4, not him. So, if we're being serious for a second, I don't hold anything against him.

But what a brilliant panto villain he has been for us over the years since then. He has played up to it and given us a lot of fun, if you ask me. I think that one of the things that sealed my (London-born) son as an Albion fan was the mass of Albion fans along the side of the pitch at Orient singing "... is a w*anker" at full voice.

Top bloke, really.

I was also there at the 4-4, an amazing game. I seem to remember there was some footage of the game, does anyone have it? I remember the cross and the flying header into the top corner - or is my memory going!

Can somebody hep me out with some player names for the above and the footage.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Surely a Whitehawk game would be ideal weekend football when there is an international break. Could you imagine the look on his face if he walked out and saw a couple of hundred blue and white shirts.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will he have McGleish:wanker: on the back of his shirt ?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Perhaps, just perhaps, he was young and stupid when he did it (although it may of course have been Carl Griffiths who did the deed and McGleish got the blame).

If you did nothing stupid when you were that age by all means give him abuse, as for the rest of us, I think we've all got skeletons in our closet that are for worse than McGleish's.

Yes, thats all well and good, but he is still a wanker!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I was in the north that day and my memory was both Griffiths AND McGleish goading us with pistol salutes and going down gestures.

McGleish has carried the can alone probably because he scored the goal immediately prior to the pitch invasion/Ray Wilkins assassination attempt but he has rightly never been allowed to forget it.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I remember reading an interveiw where SMIAW said he enjoyed the banter from Brighton fans and he saw as just that a bit of banter, partly why I respect him and also he is a very good lower league player as EP said

This, always respected his goal scoring ability and loved hearing "SCOTT MCLEISH - IS A WANKER IS A WANKER" sung by 5,000 away fans at Orient in equal measure!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was in the north that day and my memory was both Griffiths AND McGleish goading us with pistol salutes and going down gestures.

McGleish has carried the can alone probably because he scored the goal immediately prior to the pitch invasion/Ray Wilkins assassination attempt but he has rightly never been allowed to forget it.

2-0 down, THEN 3-2 up, THEN 4-3 down, THEN a last minute penalty 4-4. What a match, and Ray Wilkins kicked up the arse too!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Same here. A moments idiocy and a lifetime of abuse against us. There was a posting from someone who met Mrs McGleish who asked why Brighton fans called her husband a wanker.

that was me...i met her in a motorway cafe many moons ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here