Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saddam Hussein Execution - His Finest Hour

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is almost impossible to imagine how the USA/UK coalition forces and the Kangaroo Iraqi courts could have made a bigger hash of the trial and execution of Saddam Hussein.

To hang him on the 1st day of a religious holiday, to hang him with a crowd of invited enemies and religious opposites, to allow people to stand and video on their mobiles, to allow the chanting, to have it on the internet within an hour.

Bush was tucked up in bed and Blair was sunning his pasty paunch by the pool discussing Saturday Night Fever with Robin Gibb.

You have to remind yourself of all the evil hussein did to wipe out the memory of the execution.

I am not saying Hussein did not deserve to go the way he personally ordered 30000 of his enemies to go although in principle I am against the death penalty as it is committing a crime to punish a crime but the final impression of Saddam is one of dignity and incredible bravery against a terrible backdrop and I hate myself for thinking that but if Bush wanted Saddam to blub and beg for forgiveness he could not have got it more wrong.

Now the Arab allies are speaking out.

Bush and Blair are now no better than the Al Queda henchmen and the similarities in the home videos are incredible, hooded thugs carrying out a murder.

Bush should have been next to Saddam by rights but I doubt very much if he would have shown such bravery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanging 'makes martyr of Saddam'

Mubarak's comments reflect the feelings of many Sunni Muslims
The circumstances of the hanging of Saddam Hussein have turned the former Iraqi leader into a martyr, Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak has said.
Mr Mubarak said the unofficial pictures that emerged of the event were revolting and barbaric.

The chaotic scenes at the execution, during which Saddam was taunted, have been condemned across the world.

Egypt is a key regional ally of the US and one of only two Arab states to have signed a peace deal with Israel.

No-one will ever forget the way in which Saddam was executed - they turned him into a martyr, and the problems in Iraq remained

Hosni Mubarak

Mr Mubarak also revealed that he had sent a message to US President George W Bush to urge him not to allow the execution to take place during the Eid al-Adha, the Islamic feast that marks the end of the Hajj.

US officials, including Mr Bush, have distanced themselves from the way in which the execution was carried out, but insisted that justice was served.

The Egyptian president's comments came in an interview with Israel's best-selling daily newspaper, Yediot Ahronot daily. They were also published by the official Egyptian news agency.

Holiday prayers

"People are executed all over the world, but what happened in Baghdad on the first day of Eid al-Adha was unthinkable. I didn't believe it was happening," he said.

Egypt was close to Iraq until the invasion of Kuwait in 1990

"Why did they have to hurry? Why hang him when people are reciting their holiday prayers? Then the pictures of the execution were revolting and barbaric.

"I am not saying whether Saddam did or did not deserve the death penalty. I am also not getting into the question of whether this court is lawful under occupation."

Relations between Egypt and Iraq were friendly until the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990.

Egypt participated militarily in the international coalition that drove Iraqi forces out of Kuwait.

Hosni Mubarak strongly advised the United States not to lead the invasion of Iraq in 2003 in which Saddam Hussein was overthrown.

1066gull

Everyone should see the footage of him falling as the trapdoor is released so he does not get the respect that he doesn't deserve.

Last edited:

Ok, he got me again, I was expecting something about the 3.40pm at Kempton Park.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
the problem is you cannot help buy have respect seeing his bravery at the end and I hate myself for thinking that

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
seriously LI what is your take on it all

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
its a complete and total disaster dkm

1066gull

He should have been tortured to death. My dad thinks I am wrong for thinking that, but is it right to torture and kill so many people for such a long time?

You should get what you give, and the world would be a better place.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
the bravery he showed will make him a cast iron no 1 Marytyr

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Adriodinho said:
He should have been tortured to death. My dad thinks I am wrong for thinking that, but is it right to torture and kill so many people for such a long time?

You will have to spend years being irritated by opinionated little fucktards then

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
they should have shot him in his hole when they found him and said " he had a gun and tried to shoot us, we had no choice "

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Adriodinho said:

Oh dear.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
Ok, he got me again, I was expecting something about the 3.40pm at Kempton Park.

So was I. He's just one step ahead every time :angry:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Uncle Spielberg said:
the problem is you cannot help buy have respect seeing his bravery at the end and I hate myself for thinking that

Bravery? What about his actions makes you see bravery? I just saw someone about to get killed, knowing they had no choice in the matter. I'm sure he has accepted since he was captured that the game was up and he was going to eventually be killed.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saddam hanging taunts evoke ugly past
By John Simpson
World affairs editor, BBC News, Baghdad

A few hours after Saddam Hussein's execution, the Iraqi government put out a videotape of what had happened.

There was no sound on the tape, and it ended at the point where the executioners put the rope around his neck.

Final moments
It all seemed weirdly calm and dignified.

Not so. One of the witnesses managed to get a mobile phone into the execution chamber, and recorded the entire event, from the time when Saddam is brought into the chamber, his hands and feet shackled, to the moment when his body is hanging lifeless at the end of the rope.

It is shocking, of course. But the most shocking thing about it is the sound.

Far from being a quiet and dignified business, the new video shows that several of the witnesses taunted Saddam during the last seconds of his life, chanted the name of one of his many enemies, and told him he was going to hell.

Ugly affair

Altogether, the execution as we now see it is shown to be an ugly, degrading business, which is more reminiscent of a public hanging in the 18th Century than a considered act of 21st Century official justice.

The most disturbing thing about the new video of Saddam's execution for crimes precisely like this, is that it is all much too reminiscent of what used to happen here

How the execution unfolded

The key passage on the video-tape comes after the official version was cut off.

As Saddam stands there on the trapdoor, with the noose being tightened around his neck by one of the four executioners, their faces covered by balaclavas, the shouting starts up among the group of official witnesses.

At first you can hear a Shia version of an Islamic prayer being called out.

Saddam Hussein was, of course, a Sunni Muslim, and all this was unquestionably intended as a sectarian insult.

Then the same voice starts calling out the name of the leading Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. Sadr, the formal leader of the Mehdi Army, was an open enemy of Saddam.

Saddam supporters are livid at the execution
Saddam is not intimidated by any of this, and repeats Moqtada Sadr's name disdainfully, as if to say he doesn't count for very much.

Then his gruff, rasping voice can be heard saying to the onlookers "Is this manly behaviour?"

But someone calls out "You're going to hell."

One of the witnesses, concerned about all this, says "Keep quiet - he's just about to die."

Shocked

Saddam Hussein scarcely has an instant to collect his thoughts. He starts to mutter a prayer, but just as he speaks the name Muhammad, the chief hangman pulls the lever and the trapdoor opens.

With terrible, shocking force, Saddam's body plunges into the drop.

His death must have been virtually instantaneous.

The next image shows him hanging, clearly dead.

Even the onlookers sound shocked as they chant their prayers.

It is going to be increasingly difficult for the government of Nouri Maliki to convince Sunni Arabs here that Saddam's execution was not merely an act of retaliation.

Walking round in Baghdad this evening, as people hurried home in the black-out to celebrate their New Year's Eve in the security of their own homes, it seemed that everyone knew all about the new video.

The people I spoke to, who seemed to be Sunni Muslims, were shocked by it.

They also appeared to be distinctly nervous that the video would sharpen the already serious sectarian divide here.

Under Saddam Hussein, prisoners were regularly taunted and mistreated in their last hours. For many of them, death must have come as a relief.

But the most disturbing thing about the new video of Saddam's execution for crimes precisely like this, is that it is all much too reminiscent of what used to happen here.

It is going to be increasingly difficult for the government of Nouri Maliki to convince Sunni Arabs here that Saddam's execution was not merely an act of retaliation.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
sir danny cullip said:
Bravery? What about his actions makes you see bravery? I just saw someone about to get killed, knowing they had no choice in the matter. I'm sure he has accepted since he was captured that the game was up and he was going to eventually be killed.

Most people would have been a gibbering wreck

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
he tortured lots of people so is going to get killed, by us torturing him - riiiight cos that makes sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also if I had my tinfoil hat on, why would they cut the recording at the last moment, and then suddenly mobile phone footage is release of the execution a few days later. If i was a cynic i'd say that it was all faked and that way you can blame bad CGI on poor mobile phone quality.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Uncle Spielberg said:

By John Simpson
But the most disturbing thing about the new video of Saddam's execution for crimes precisely like this, is that it is all much too reminiscent of what used to happen here.

I don't think this would have been part of the plan. Had there been one.

Has the world been made a safer place ? The only person laughing must be Osama.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here