Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Shawcross could be invited to represent Wales

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
He qualifies because he went to school & lived in North Wales for 5 years, turned them down in the past.

Wales are also looking at asking Swansea City right-back Angel Rangel, who is Spanish but has played in Wales for 5 years. It begs the question could any English player at Swansea or Cardiff for 5 years qualify for Wales even though they play in the English league? Is this right & fair?

Oct 25, 2003
i don't think it works like that, with regards to "citizenship"....i'm sure there was an english player playing in scotland who had played up there for a while and hadn't represented england at all who wasn't allowed to play for scotland

as for rangel, he could play for any of the uk teams....it was the same with le tissier

edit- i'm wrong, the player i was thinking of is andrew driver, the rule was recently altered and he CAN play for scotland

Oct 25, 2003
arteta can play for england

pudolksi - polish
klose - polish

both klose and podolski moved to germany at a fairly early age....i think at least one of them were eligible to play for germany before they'd even begun playing

klose moved to germany aged 7 and his father had german nationality anyway....podolski moved to germany aged 2 and doesn't even have a polish passport

so both of them, despite being born in poland, grew up in germany and certainly played all of their youth football there

so a bit different to arteta who moved to the uk as an adult

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Aaron Ramsey will be pleased

Coleman has openly said today that he will ASK Aaron Ramsey if he should get Shawcross involved.

I honestly can't believe he came out to the media with that. It now places all the pressure on Ramsey and IF Shawcross isn't selected then everyone will know why.

Terrible management.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Wales are just as embarrassing to world football as Scotland are. Pick Scottish and Welsh people for f*** sake, not average English and Spanish players. Footballers willing to play for a country they are not from really have no shame.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
Interesting, massive test of Ramseys commitment to Wales. Should be a no brainer, Shawcross would improve the Welsh team (in my opinion). Can Ramsey put his personal feelings aside? like thousands of pros have done over the years schmeicel/keane and sheringham/cole spring to mind. or will he say he wont play with him? Would be interested to hear any Welsh fans opinions on how the latter outcome would be received? Yes i know Ramsey is one of your best players, but good enough to pick and choose who plays as well?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Thought he had played in a competitive U21 game. Didn't that use to mean you were committed to one country?

So did I but FIFA are always changing the rules, so wouldn't be surprised if it's now only senior competitive matches which count.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Coleman has openly said today that he will ASK Aaron Ramsey if he should get Shawcross involved.

I honestly can't believe he came out to the media with that. It now places all the pressure on Ramsey and IF Shawcross isn't selected then everyone will know why.

Terrible management.

As you say terrible management, bunch of amateurs.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Jordan Rhodes was born in Oldham and only qualifies for Scotland because he went to school there for 5 years while his Dad was playing in the SFL

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Wales are welcome to him.....a total thug....can't believe he will ever be an international player.....at any level. Guess they must be desperate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
These rules are getting dafter and dafter. Personally think that you should only play for the country where you or your parents were born (not grandparents) or where you have become a naturalised citizen through residency, ie you have a passport from that country and you are living in that country. This crap about spending 5 years there when you were a kid is dumb. It's not your natural country and, if you aren't living there now, it's not your country of choice so why would you play for them! Turning football back towards the mercenary period it was during the 1930s to the 60s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here