Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Harley

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Looking on soccerbase his stats don't seem to add up to some of the comments on here

Exeter Jan08 - Jan11 97 games + 13 as sub - 22 goals
Signed for Swansea in Jan 11 - next day shipped back to Exeter on loan and score 4 in 21

And he's already 26 years old

So he scores one in five games - yes not bad, but in League 1

:shrug:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It's not bad news for Dicker, Sparrow etc it is excellent news (if it comes off.) We are a TEAM! The stronger the squad the better. If Harley comes it'll be because he fits. Remember Gus's fans forum comments? If he isn't the right sort of person he's not welcome. We are one light in central midfield (squad wise) imv anyway.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Attacking wise with starting moves theres not many players I would rather have instead of him, but sometimes (and not just this season) he can be a liability. Where he plays, losing the ball is very dangerous, it can set the other team on the break running at our back four with numbers, and in this league we will be punished more times than not.

I totally agree with this. Just hope people give him a chance to cut out the errors. Last season he created more chances than anyone else, taking Bennett out of the equasion. He can cut the best of the defences apart with his passing & is still, in my eyes, a key member of this squad.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I read the Argus and Mark by the sea does get a lot right, so hopefully this is one of them as I feel he will be a great addtion to the SQUAD.

Ref Dicker, its what he does off the ball which makes him the player he is, VERY Rare do we get over run in the middle of the park and thats becuase of his work rate in shutting down players. Simpley put the type of player Gus likes. He will only get better imho.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
I think gus wants to shape a huge squad now, rather than drafting in replacements who may take ages to settle

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
, VERY Rare do we get over run in the middle of the park and thats becuase of his work rate in shutting down players.

That has been the problem in the 2 games this season we have been over run in midfield both by Doncaster and even Gillingham and looked 2nd best hopefully Dicker and the rest of the midfielders will improve.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I prefer him to concentrate on his Cockney Rebel career

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
This.

People lay into him on here & pick up on EVERY time he gets caught in possession. I think it happened twice against Doncaster and once against Gillingaham and he's suddenly an awful player in many peoples eyes on here. Give him time to adjust.

Maybe count the chances he creates and moves he starts instead? It's a lot more than 3 so far.

this is true enough, he is a decent player with a good eye for the game...

BUT i am one of those critical of his losses of possession recently. Why? Because it directly lead to Doncaster's goal and nearly one for Gillingham which I think in the end was cleared off the line. Too much dithering in the centre, the way we play, exposes us horribly when we then lose possession. Hope he sharpens up indeed but who of us know if the level will punish us too many times before he manages to? This is the equation Gus has to make and tbh I suspect why he wants to bring Harley in. It's all very well sticking up for a player but we are going to have to be ruthless about personnel in some quarters, if we want to make the kind of progress as a club that would make us all cream our pants. And who wouldn't want that?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I do despair of some people on here, really I do...Ryan Harley was signed by Swansea and loaned straight back to Exeter, so has no championship experence what so ever. Now im sure if Gus thinks he is what we need then I have every faith in his opion as Gus is a much better judge of a footballer than I will ever be. But as for everyone else saying he will complete our midfield etc etc...Based on what exactly?....The fact Swansea signed him and loaned him straight back and is now surplus to requirements??....Please note at no stage have I said the player is no good and wont be a good addition to the side. Id just rather see him play more than once or twice personally before I say my view on a player.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
That has been the problem in the 2 games this season we have been over run in midfield both by Doncaster and even Gillingham and looked 2nd best hopefully Dicker and the rest of the midfielders will improve.

I did say Rare!!! Granted the first half against Donny we got over run a bit, but tightened up second half and apart from the first few mins in the Gillingham game I thought we looked quiet solid in the middle. A couple of stray passes, but that happens to the best of players.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Gus did say that he was thinking was very close to signing a dead ball expert in free kicks and penalties so maybe Harley is that man, i dont think we sign permantely as didnt he turn us down to goto Swansea, i think a loan deal until december to prove to swansea what he is about and also to see if enjoys his time with us will suit all parties.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Gus did say that he was thinking was very close to signing a dead ball expert in free kicks and penalties so maybe Harley is that man, i dont think we sign permantely as didnt he turn us down to goto Swansea, i think a loan deal until december to prove to swansea what he is about and also to see if enjoys his time with us will suit all parties.

Nope they (Exeter) turned down our bid, never got to talk to the player

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I do despair of some people on here, really I do...Ryan Harley was signed by Swansea and loaned straight back to Exeter, so has no championship experence what so ever. Now im sure if Gus thinks he is what we need then I have every faith in his opion as Gus is a much better judge of a footballer than I will ever be. But as for everyone else saying he will complete our midfield etc etc...Based on what exactly?....The fact Swansea signed him and loaned him straight back and is now surplus to requirements??....Please note at no stage have I said the player is no good and wont be a good addition to the side. Id just rather see him play more than once or twice personally before I say my view on a player.

this is a good point... but when has Gus ever let us down with his signings to improve the first-team squad? (note i say first team to avoid the question of the speculative acquisitions of the Argentines and such). I think given his excellent record and attitude toward signings (only the best, one at a time) we can all afford to rate a player we have made this much effort in getting. And the fact Swansea wanted him too - a promotion bound team last season who play a similar game to us.

My view on it... but sure perhaps it's a bit much without having seen him play. Expect people are excited about his attributes re. dead ball (which we lack presently) and this helps wild notions that he is the missing piece. Still, he probably is though. Would be very happy with our midfield should we get him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think the problem was Swansea got him on the basis he would be loaned back when we wanted to use him there and then.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Attacking wise with starting moves theres not many players I would rather have instead of him, but sometimes (and not just this season) he can be a liability. Where he plays, losing the ball is very dangerous, it can set the other team on the break running at our back four with numbers, and in this league we will be punished more times than not.

Exactly

Doncaster SCORED

Gillingham NEARLY did.

God help us if it was say Leics or one of the better teams.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I rate dicker but I think Harley is a better player, he would be a really good signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here