Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Air Question...

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
If i have no luggage, and a printed from the web "boarding pass" - surely I can just turn up at the airport at a time that ensures I make it "before the gate closes."

Im cutting it fine by public transport - e.g. arriving at airport 40 mins before take off.

But surely this is easily doable - its not a big airport.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Basically yes, but expect to cut it seriously fine! Ryanair board their flights asap, the idea is that the arrivals go out one door as the new passengers board through the other.

I think I once was getting to Stansted at about 6.30 for a Ryanair flight at 7.30 (earliest train), and by the time I got through check in, saw "final call" on my flight and had to sprint (and bear in mind Ryanair usually have cheap annexes that are miles away from the main terminal). If I was you, I'd get there a bit earlier if you can...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Have you seen the length of the queues going through the security checks on the day and time you are going? Of course not. In may it took us over 30 minutes just to get through the queue at Gatwick. It's al lgoing to depend on the airport and how slow the security queues are. I wouldn't risk it, Ryanair will piss off without you.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Basically yes, but expect to cut it seriously fine! Ryanair board their flights asap, the idea is that the arrivals go out one door as the new passengers board through the other.

I think I once was getting to Stansted at about 6.30 for a Ryanair flight at 7.30 (earliest train), and by the time I got through check in, saw "final call" on my flight and had to sprint (and bear in mind Ryanair usually have cheap annexes that are miles away from the main terminal). If I was you, I'd get there a bit earlier if you can...

Yeah deffo get there earlier if you can, (best laid plans and all that?), what happens if the train/bus is late?, do you really want to miss your well earned holiday?.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally, I never take any interest in the gate closing time for short hauls on budget airlines. As long as you get there ten minutes before the flght departs you'll be fine. Because of the short turn-arounds for such flights the plane will probably only have arrived at the gate a few minutes before you anyway.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Personally, I never take any interest in the gate closing time for short hauls on budget airlines. As long as you get there ten minutes before the flght departs you'll be fine. Because of the short turn-arounds for such flights the plane will probably only have arrived at the gate a few minutes before you anyway.

What you have to watch for though is that if the flight is full airlines like Ryan Air will play the 'too late for boarding' card in which case they won't do anything other than charge you a far from nominal fee to rebook. The only flight I've ever missed was changing planes in Atlanta thanks to the sheer chaos caused by the imposition of heavy security post 911 (it was about six months after).

I prefer to get there early because whether you're using public transport or your own you can still be delayed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What you have to watch for though is that if the flight is full airlines like Ryan Air will play the 'too late for boarding' card in which case they won't do anything other than charge you a far from nominal fee to rebook. The only flight I've ever missed was changing planes in Atlanta thanks to the sheer chaos caused by the imposition of heavy security post 911 (it was about six months after).

I prefer to get there early because whether you're using public transport or your own you can still be delayed.

But they only check-in the correct numbers for flights dont they?...so if you've checked-in online surely this will not be an issue? I know airlines over sell seats, and hope that some people do not turn up for the flight but this is different.

It is also worth noting that I have actually missed 4 flghts, but not for the reason you gave. But, I am of the belief if you've never missed a flight you're spending way too much time in airports (someone famous said this...I wish I could remember who).

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
There are some people who have an irrational fear of missing flights. I have a friend who once went to Heathrow 48 hours early (true).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But they only check-in the correct numbers for flights dont they?...so if you've checked-in online surely this will not be an issue? I know airlines over sell seats, and hope that some people do not turn up for the flight but this is different.

It is also worth noting that I have actually missed 4 flghts, but not for the reason you gave. But, I am of the belief if you've never missed a flight you're spending way too much time in airports (someone famous said this...I wish I could remember who).

Ryan Air in particular are a law unto themselves hence I would err on the side of caution. I must admit that having once nearly been bumped on a flight (I arrived one hour and fifty eight minutes before the time of departure, only a huge row got me on that flight) I am inclined to not take chances. Having worked for an airline I have heard pretty much all the excuses.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

The issue with Ryanair is that they squeeze in as many flights into a day as possible and pay their staff as little time as possible, therefore they basically want flights to spend no time on the ground, and as much time as possible in the air. Given that 90% of passengers aren't checking in luggage, they will basically run it like a train and just leave at the correct time.

Its unlikely that it runs exactly as it says, but if they were in a position to shut the doors of the plane 30 mins before take off and go, they wouldn't give a toss about who was or wasn't there.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004

cheers, i think i'm going with this comment .....and if their is a Q at security ill hack through it claiming i'm late :)

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
well, we turned up at the airport (luton) about 10 minutes before hte flight was due to take off and we go on no probs.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
cheers, i think i'm going with this comment .....and if their is a Q at security ill hack through it claiming i'm late :)

Going with a comment just because it backs up what you wanted to do anyway, is not in the least bit sensible. And the notion of queue jumping becasue you are late won't work at all.

Get there at a decent time is your only option to guarantee getting your flight.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I got off at the wrong station in Karlsruhe, Germany and had to wait an hour for the next train as it was so obscure. I finally got to the airport 5 minutes before the flight and after begging the airport security to let me through, Ryanair were fine about letting me on the plane.

Wouldn't risk it though, they're usually renowned for being c*nts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well, we turned up at the airport (luton) about 10 minutes before hte flight was due to take off and we go on no probs.

The last flight I took I arrived at the gate as folk were boarding. No problems.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I got off at the wrong station in Karlsruhe, Germany and had to wait an hour for the next train as it was so obscure. I finally got to the airport 5 minutes before the flight and after begging the airport security to let me through, Ryanair were fine about letting me on the plane.

Wouldn't risk it though, they're usually renowned for being c*nts.

To be fair, they tell you they'll go without you if you're not there and ready to go 30 mins beforehand, so if you decide to turn up after that (and everyone knows it can take 30 mins to get through security), then you can't really blame them. (Obviously not your situation as you weren't deliberately cutting it fine).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, they tell you they'll go without you if you're not there and ready to go 30 mins beforehand, so if you decide to turn up after that (and everyone knows it can take 30 mins to get through security), then you can't really blame them. (Obviously not your situation as you weren't deliberately cutting it fine).

I think this is when everyone has boarded and they're still waiting for someone. If you arrive at the time the plane is due to depart you will be fine. I have never been on a budget flight which has left on-time, and certainly they never leave early. Further, they only board people immediately before the flight leaves due to the tight turn around.

If I'm only going a short distance I really do not see the point at turning up hours before. I've never been caught out yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think this is when everyone has boarded and they're still waiting for someone. If you arrive at the time the plane is due to depart you will be fine. I have never been on a budget flight which has left on-time, and certainly they never leave early. Further, they only board people immediately before the flight leaves due to the tight turn around.

If I'm only going a short distance I really do not see the point at turning up hours before. I've never been caught out yet.

So, no laughing at me when you hear "Herr Tubthumper will you please got to gate 18 your flight is about to depart" and you then see me being restrained by airport security.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Yeah, I think thats usually the case, but I have definitely been on Ryanair flights from Gatwick where they have boarded and left early (I think its cos the queue time for runway slot is taken into account before take off).

Either way, it depends how badly you wanna make a plane. Personally, if I am off to Dublin for a football match or on holiday somewhere, I can handle spending an hour extra having a pint at the airport, safe in the knowledge I will make my flight on time and thus whatever I am flying for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, I think thats usually the case, but I have definitely been on Ryanair flights from Gatwick where they have boarded and left early (I think its cos the queue time for runway slot is taken into account before take off).

Either way, it depends how badly you wanna make a plane. Personally, if I am off to Dublin for a football match or on holiday somewhere, I can handle spending an hour extra having a pint at the airport, safe in the knowledge I will make my flight on time and thus whatever I am flying for.

Fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here