Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ruth Kelly

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
So when Gordon announces his new cabinet later this week will Ruth still have her old job. Will announcing our new stadium be one of her last tasks before clearing her desk or will some new person get the task of giving us the good news.

and will it make any difference.........??

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
according to someone on the facebook falmer group, it will be delayed to October......

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I'm guessing a July 7th announcement (it's the Friday before the deadline, which is a Monday).

Ruth Kelly has worked with Gordon Brown before, so I doubt she'll be frozen out. There are lots of suggestions about a Whitehall shakeup, with different bits of government (including the notoriously random Communities and Local Govt Department, which Ruth Kelly heads) being farmed out all over the place. So it could end up being any old minister formally making the decision.

Here's my guess. Brown probably isn't going to create a "deputy prime minister", so I reckon he'll give a senior Labour type Prezza's old job of "First Secretary of State", under whose auspices he made the original Falmer decision.

So it could end up being the Blackburn Rovers fan, Jack Straw, who finally approves Falmer.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I don't think they are able to delay it - once they announce a date they have to abide by it... so within 2 weeks of today all being well.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
As I said in a previous thread, the government have given a dealine of 9th July and they cannot now change it unless there are real and valid reasons to do so. The government would have by now made their decision and the decision letters will now be with the their solicitors to make sure they don't f*ck up the decision again.

There are therefore three possible outcomes:-
1- Give the stadium the go ahead
2- Turn down the planning application
3- Call a further public enquiry

I don't think it'll be option 3, just because of how long it has gone on already. I still think that the government will still be pissed off with LDC and FPC just for being a pain in the arse and will therefore WANT to give permission...well here's hoping anyway!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There will be a decision but my money is on it not being Ruth Kelly who gives it. Brown isn't an " up and coming young thing" sort of person so money must be on old stagers getting cabinet posts as he wants to create a sense of gravitas and stability for an election early next year

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I said in a previous thread, the government have given a dealine of 9th July and they cannot now change it unless there are real and valid reasons to do so. The government would have by now made their decision and the decision letters will now be with the their solicitors to make sure they don't f*ck up the decision again.

There are therefore three possible outcomes:-
1- Give the stadium the go ahead
2- Turn down the planning application
3- Call a further public enquiry

I don't think it'll be option 3, just because of how long it has gone on already. I still think that the government will still be pissed off with LDC and FPC just for being a pain in the arse and will therefore WANT to give permission...well here's hoping anyway!

There is no grounds for a further enquiry as we have not submitted any plans for any other sites. So that is out straight away.

therefore there are 2 options...Yes or No.

Simple as.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
My only though was that it makes it 'neater' if Ruth stays in post and gives the announcement having been involved throughout the recent process.

Don't suppose she has actually spent much time personally on looking at documents etc but I guess that if a new person gets involved now it makes slightly easier for opponents to challenge the decision.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My only though was that it makes it 'neater' if Ruth stays in post and gives the announcement having been involved throughout the recent process.

Don't suppose she has actually spent much time personally on looking at documents etc but I guess that if a new person gets involved now it makes slightly easier for opponents to challenge the decision.

It makes no difference - if it did it would mean every decision made by every cabinet incumbent could be challenged when a change occurs

It's quite possible that Ruth Kelly has not yet seen ANY of the documents.

She is no doubt aware of the fact that there is a politically sensitive decision looming and that her officials have been working on it for years. But it's not uncommon for the papers to be kept away from the Secretary of State until all the work has been completed and the advice drafted.

:falmer:Its not uncommon for a minister never to read the decision they are signing:D

They certainly don't sign the decision letter.

The Falmer decision letter will start with something along the lines of "Dear Mr Allen, I am instructed by the Secretary of State ...."

And before anyone asks ... Tony Allen (of DMH Planning) is the person the decision letter will be addressed to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here