Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Keane - Bottler

Ray Keano - Bottler

• Yes

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • The Beard confused me and now I don't know.

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No.

I think he just realises he has enough money to not need all the stress.

If anything I think the main problem would be that as a player the very least he gave his manager was 100 per cent effort.

Quite often brilliant players have problems as a manager dealing with players who are not as good. I think with Keane the fact players were a) not as good and b) not putting the effort in, frustrated him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But i thought that spending 70M signing players that are good enough, and then motivating those players to put the effort in was a major part of a manager's job ?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Also the fact that he spent the money, it went a bit turd and then he basically said 'not my problem'.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
No.

If anything I think the main problem would be that as a player the very least he gave his manager was 100 per cent effort.

Quite often brilliant players have problems as a manager dealing with players who are not as good. I think with Keane the fact players were a) not as good and b) not putting the effort in, frustrated him.

Is the right answer.

Poppycock. It is the manager's job to instil that effort. Clough was a good player, but it didn't stop him managing lesser players, it just made him determined to get the best out of them (which he generally did). Loads of very good players have ended up managing poorer players, and, in this day and age, presumably lots of players without the work ethic of their own generation. Have you seen what O'Neill has done with the underachievers he inherited at Villa, or, better still, what he did with a bunch of champagne Charlie not-that-great players at Celtic?

But what has really pissed me off about this saga is the Ince/Keane line that "everybody's out to get us cuz we were at United" garbage. Look, you two, Fergie's "the whole world is out to get us at United" rhetoric was just that - rhetoric. It was intended to create a siege mentality at the club, with the hope it would set United apart from the other clubs. You would have hoped that Ince & Keane were intelligent enough to realise it's not true, but apparently not - it's so ingrained, they think they still face such prejudice as former United players. Tossers. Do you ever hear Mark Hughes making that claim? Of course not. Moreover, he's under considerably more pressure to get results than Ince and Keane were/are. He just gets on with his job without moaning, and without bailing.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
For the fans, for the fans, spend, spend, spend, for the fans, for the fans, spend, spend, spend, for the fans, for the fa...hang on it's all going tit's up, resign, resign, for the fans, for the fans, resign, resign.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Poppycock. It is the manager's job to instil that effort. Clough was a good player, but it didn't stop him managing lesser players, it just made him determined to get the best out of them (which he generally did). Loads of very good players have ended up managing poorer players, and, in this day and age, presumably lots of players without the work ethic of their own generation. Have you seen what O'Neill has done with the underachievers he inherited at Villa, or, better still, what he did with a bunch of champagne Charlie not-that-great players at Celtic?

But what has really pissed me off about this saga is the Ince/Keane line that "everybody's out to get us cuz we were at United" garbage. Look, you two, Fergie's "the whole world is out to get us at United" rhetoric was just that - rhetoric. It was intended to create a siege mentality at the club, with the hope it would set United apart from the other clubs. You would have hoped that Ince & Keane were intelligent enough to realise it's not true, but apparently not - it's so ingrained, they think they still face such prejudice as former United players. Tossers. Do you ever hear Mark Hughes making that claim? Of course not. Moreover, he's under considerably more pressure to get results than Ince and Keane were/are. He just gets on with his job without moaning, and without bailing.

Bloody good post.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
As i said on a thread last week......ex prem players have earnt so much money during their playing career ( well not earnt but been paid) that they never need to actually work again......so if they become a manager, the first signs that things are going wrong.....crap results, abuse from the fans,pressure of the job etc they are gonna say i dont need all this shit and walk away. Some players think that cos they plaid under Fergie or Clough that they will automatically be a good manager......its not the case.
Anyway in answer to the question......bottler!!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was having this conversation with my flatmate over Football Focus the other day. Lawrenson kept on saying that Keane wasn't a "quitter", yet this was clearly exposed as not being the case because he had just, er, quit!

:shootself

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford

I think that's exactly why he is a bottler though. If it's down to that, why did he take the job 3 years ago? Surely such a long career at United would financially sort you out for life.

I felt as a manager Keane was way too over the top with discipline sometimes, like when he put Liam Miller on the transfer list for being late for a couple of training sessions. Obviously fine him or something but transfer list?! How do the players act when they know if they very slightly step out of the line, they may be shipped out?

Overall, I think Keane could have turned it round, there is a decent enough squad there and it seems hasty to suddenly leave when things start going wrong before Xmas. This whole hardman image that we get bombarded with has clearly been greatly tarnished by this episode.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Sounds like a dictionary definition of bottling it to me. Conspicuous attention-clamouring flouncing like at the very heights of Dessiegate itself.

This "ultimate competitor" tag that people stick on that dirty arrogant thuggish sociopathic gobshite has always rankled with me anyway. Didn't he turn up pissed for games? Doesn't sound that highly competitive to me.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
alan shearer showed him up for what he is a few years ago in a newcastle v man utd game, they threw the ball at one another fairly aggressively, keane started growling, shearer stood there arms spread and clearly said "what are you going to do then ?"keane stood there stock still and didnt do a thing until 3 or 4 united players ran over and grabbed him, suddenly he was the berserk snarling let me at him "hard man" that he likes to portray himself as, he's a plastic hardman, end of.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Anyone who thinks Keane is anything other than a bullshitting cnt who will SAY anything to maintain a public persona or to get idiots onside, really is deluded.

Hmm self mythologising bullshitting so-called hardman ex Manchester United player, who has a proven track record of disloyalty, remind you of another young premiership manager on the ropes? Still, I suppose Keane has not played the race card just yet, which I guarantee the other one will have done by the end of the week.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
No.

So the job was too hard for him? Isn't that bottling it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No.

Absolute rubbish. He gave 100% when he walked out on Ireland did he?

Or when he would get sent off for United for a stupid challenge or an elbow and let his whole team down time after time. Liability.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
alan shearer showed him up for what he is a few years ago in a newcastle v man utd game, they threw the ball at one another fairly aggressively, keane started growling, shearer stood there arms spread and clearly said "what are you going to do then ?"keane stood there stock still and didnt do a thing until 3 or 4 united players ran over and grabbed him, suddenly he was the berserk snarling let me at him "hard man" that he likes to portray himself as, he's a plastic hardman, end of.

YouTube - Keane v Shearer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here